Used 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

First New Car
By rdaub

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2004 Cavalier was my first NEW car purchase {had purchased used cars prior}. After 180,000+ miles can not really complain. It did what it was purchased to do - used as a commuter car, averaging over 400+ miles per week. After all of those miles, still getting 30+ mpg. Yes road-noisy ride, cd no longer works, replaced clutch after 175,000+ miles, shifter needs replaced [hard to get into 1st or 2nd, really loose]. But for a "basic $10,000.00 car" in 2004, it has been a worthy vehicle.

Great car!
By hannam

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for almost a year before someone ran a red light and totaled it. Looks great for the price, easy to drive and great for a first car! I bought it with 90k and drove it to 100k. I did have a few issues with it. The backseat was really difficult to access. If you buy with the original radio, be aware that installing a new radio could put you in the $200-300 range as the system is connected to many other things in the car (like the beeps for when your car door is open). AC went out around 94,000 miles. The lights below around the gearshift went out, and I had to hit the gearshift to make them come back on. All in all, I'm still happy with the purchase and sad to lose it.

You get what you pay for
By dustyrose2

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006 with 60K miles. Its has needed alot of repairs, all my gauges stopped working in 2009, windshield wipers wont stop when you turn them off since 2010, air conditioner makes a constant ticking/clicking sound all the time since right after i bought it, I replaced the engine coils 2x, replaced ignition control module 6x, replaced water pump, fuel pump, clutch, many others cant remember everything, my timing belt started going out last week so I finally traded it in for a new car. Inside of the car is very cheap and basic, but hey the car was cheap and you get what you pay for. The gas mileage was excellent, I say its a good starter car for a teenager.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Best Value
By alanseymour

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car is reliable. I have had no problems for over 116,000 miles so far. I do however change my oil on regular (specified) intervals. It has for a 2.2 Liter engine, good acceleration and it can drive smooth at 100 mph. I get ~ 29 miles per gallon with regular 87 octane gasoline - not bad. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a reliable, efficient commuter vehicle.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration, good gasoline mileage and a smooth ride at high speeds 80-100mph.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Dont buy a 2004 cavalier RUN!!!!
By hatecavalier04

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my cavalier.......when it is running! dont ever buy one I bought it with 65,000 miles on it and it has been worked on more than I have driven it. I take very good care of my cars but with this one it doesn't matter. It is cheaply made everywhere you look.it had an electrical problem which I spent a fortune to fix, probably way more than the car is worth. My cd player, radio and interior lights do not work still. If I try to put a fuse in it it just sparks...Im sure there is a short some where but im not putting any more money in this car. I have replaced the alternator multiple times with brand new ones. It dry starts, gauges dont work, replaced timing chain kit, etc. on and on

Favorite Features

The only thing I like about my car is the pretty orange color, the rims, and the few times it has actually run for me. There is no way a vehicle with this few miles on it should have so many problems. I am disgusted.

Suggested Improvements

Everything......no recall on this bull crap car!!!!! My brothers 05 has many of the same problems. The more blogs I read about the same problems I have the more mad it makes me. If one more thing goes wrong I am taking it to the scrap yard because that is all it is worth! Went to trade it in and drove a chevrolet trail blazer and guess what....the gauges were all messed up! I miss my FORD at least they admit to there problems and recall them.