2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

2004 Cavalier Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
First New Car
By rdaub

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2004 Cavalier was my first NEW car purchase {had purchased used cars prior}. After 180,000+ miles can not really complain. It did what it was purchased to do - used as a commuter car, averaging over 400+ miles per week. After all of those miles, still getting 30+ mpg. Yes road-noisy ride, cd no longer works, replaced clutch after 175,000+ miles, shifter needs replaced [hard to get into 1st or 2nd, really loose]. But for a "basic $10,000.00 car" in 2004, it has been a worthy vehicle.

Great car!
By hannam

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for almost a year before someone ran a red light and totaled it. Looks great for the price, easy to drive and great for a first car! I bought it with 90k and drove it to 100k. I did have a few issues with it. The backseat was really difficult to access. If you buy with the original radio, be aware that installing a new radio could put you in the $200-300 range as the system is connected to many other things in the car (like the beeps for when your car door is open). AC went out around 94,000 miles. The lights below around the gearshift went out, and I had to hit the gearshift to make them come back on. All in all, I'm still happy with the purchase and sad to lose it.

You get what you pay for
By dustyrose2

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006 with 60K miles. Its has needed alot of repairs, all my gauges stopped working in 2009, windshield wipers wont stop when you turn them off since 2010, air conditioner makes a constant ticking/clicking sound all the time since right after i bought it, I replaced the engine coils 2x, replaced ignition control module 6x, replaced water pump, fuel pump, clutch, many others cant remember everything, my timing belt started going out last week so I finally traded it in for a new car. Inside of the car is very cheap and basic, but hey the car was cheap and you get what you pay for. The gas mileage was excellent, I say its a good starter car for a teenager.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Best Value
By alanseymour

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car is reliable. I have had no problems for over 116,000 miles so far. I do however change my oil on regular (specified) intervals. It has for a 2.2 Liter engine, good acceleration and it can drive smooth at 100 mph. I get ~ 29 miles per gallon with regular 87 octane gasoline - not bad. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a reliable, efficient commuter vehicle.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration, good gasoline mileage and a smooth ride at high speeds 80-100mph.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Dont buy a 2004 cavalier RUN!!!!
By hatecavalier04

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my cavalier.......when it is running! dont ever buy one I bought it with 65,000 miles on it and it has been worked on more than I have driven it. I take very good care of my cars but with this one it doesn't matter. It is cheaply made everywhere you look.it had an electrical problem which I spent a fortune to fix, probably way more than the car is worth. My cd player, radio and interior lights do not work still. If I try to put a fuse in it it just sparks...Im sure there is a short some where but im not putting any more money in this car. I have replaced the alternator multiple times with brand new ones. It dry starts, gauges dont work, replaced timing chain kit, etc. on and on

Favorite Features

The only thing I like about my car is the pretty orange color, the rims, and the few times it has actually run for me. There is no way a vehicle with this few miles on it should have so many problems. I am disgusted.

Suggested Improvements

Everything......no recall on this bull crap car!!!!! My brothers 05 has many of the same problems. The more blogs I read about the same problems I have the more mad it makes me. If one more thing goes wrong I am taking it to the scrap yard because that is all it is worth! Went to trade it in and drove a chevrolet trail blazer and guess what....the gauges were all messed up! I miss my FORD at least they admit to there problems and recall them.

My first Car
By cjbridges

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 16 years old and this is my first car, We bought it with 77k miles on it and it now has 80k, The only repairs we had to do were basic things like replacing the fluids, oil filter, oil, and a new battery, but other than that its had no major problems. The paint is rather cheap and chips easily, and the interiors plastic is cheap and the fabric is thin, however if you take car of it everything shouldn't crap out on you. My dash cracked and my engine light comes on when there is no problem, the car can be noisy at times, and my CD player broke, but I have to say there are no major problems. I like the sleek sporty design of the car.

Favorite Features

Stereo system is actually decent and sounds good even cranked up pretty high, when im in the street i can hear it in my house, pretty clearly. I like the sleek design of it, it looks really sporty. The engine is decent for a 4 banger. I like the interior, personally i think its comfortable, but i dont think its very comfortable for others. i think the A/C works great, its powerful and effective, however noisy. I love the simple interior.

Suggested Improvements

The fabric and plastic of the interior is cheap, and so its the paint on the exterior. The CD player broke really quickly, and the glovebox is awkward. The seats arent comfortable for passengers. The engine is nice for a 4 cyclinder car, but doesnt quite deliver the desired power. The fact that the check engine light comes on if there is dirt in the wrong space or if the gas cap isnt on right is annoying.

I hate it!
By kaikai08

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely hate that car. I purchased the car on impulse in 2004, with 4 miles on it. Within a week, the radio went out. I have to admit, for years it did do its justice, however, the car has always been uncomfortable. It has a hard feel to the seats and the interior is extremely cheap looking. There is nothing fancy or spectacular about the design. Now, the car overheats, the A/C doesn't work unless i'm pressing the accel., I seriously think the transmission is going bad, the trunk pops open when it wants to (yes, thankfully at stop lights). To top it all off, the paint is fading. I had a black car, now its black with huge metallic spots. Its a mess, its ugly. "Hated It"

Favorite Features

It was cheap, and affordable.

Suggested Improvements

Visually, the car is a mess. They should have used a higher paint grade.

Would be good
By Jon Smith

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Would be good but the car just keeps having problems, IAT, HUBS go out, Slave cylinders go out multiple times and then contaminate the clutch but That problem starts with the master cylinder which is usually repaired wrong at dealers for cost cutting-they replace the slave not the master cylinder. almost cost my life in an accident! Trans went out, Radio went out twice the replaced one was remanufactured, not NEW under warranty. speakers go out, throttle cable rusted and would make the throttle stick or not move-thus no driving or very high revs. The car would be great if GM wasn't so Cheap! and that intake manifold design is crap.

Favorite Features

The engine is all Aluminum DOHC Chain driven, and good HP and TQ good shifting. of course thats all taken from Toyota so Gm doesn't really get the props on this. I'm a mechanic with a degree in AMT so, YES I do know what i'm talking about.

Suggested Improvements

Bad with the internal slave cylinders and dealers/gm repairs-I was driving in snow-which has NEVER been a problem and I had good tires, the Slave goes out and I start to fishtail, slam into the median-this was just 8 months after a repair of the slave cyl.Intake manifold bad design,swoops under.

My First Car
By SoCalMal

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in '04 and I'll be the first to admit I didn't know how to take care of a vehicle. Every oil change was late and a cracked transmission pan later, 88,000+ miles later this gem is still running. The dashboard is weak, but the rest of the interior is decent. It's a bit of a noisy ride esp. if you're on the phone. I've encounter no problems w/ the electrical components, but the transmission is starting to slip.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage, moonroof, sound system all make me want to keep her around.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back, make it quieter and include power windows.

04 Cavalier has been a great car
By Great Car

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't drive mine much but wanted to say it's been a great car. Only problems were the blower fan starting ticking after a year and the dash board cover bubbled here in the AZ heat, both under warranty. I wanted to suggest to those that have check engine light probs to check your gas cap and make sure it is seated right and the gasket has no hairline cracks. My check engine light comes on if I don't put the (locking) gas cap on correctly. The light also comes on when I drive up in the mountains like 6800 feet from phoenix's 300 or so foot elevation in less than a 2 hour drive. It must be very sensitive. It goes off by itself after the car gets used to the differences.

Favorite Features

Peppy yet economical and fun to drive. I can average 40 mpg on highway driving and have never gotten less than 21 or 22 mpg in city driving with a/c on full blast constantly. Easy to drive, good visibility. Car was a great buy too and insurance is reasonable, too. Folding rears seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holders in front of the temp and fan controls. Taller cups have hit the radio controls and reset the time on the clock. Cup holders do not accommodate wider cups either. Front seats are not friendly to the lower back after an hour or so. Front passenger side could use more leg room