2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
A great engine surrounded by an average car
By happychihuahua on 10/01/12 07:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The EcoTec 2.2 is a marvelous engine, its powerful, quiet and as reliable as an anvil, a testament to its foreign design. The rest of the car however is General Motors, what can you say. The steel on the car is paper thin, so even a slight bump will distort the quarter panels and your plastic bumper will never fit properly again. The interior is typical GM, with the bizarre toilet seat flusher door handles and the cheap plastic interior. The plastic covers by the mirrors tend to slap off and the manual mirror adjusters tend to break. The shift level gets loose and since its plastic will begin to fall apart, requiring replacement. The interior noise is higher than it should be.

It's doing its job.
By evanz on 09/27/12 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second car. I bought it, after weeks of searching for something else in my price range. I don't really like Chevy, but i got it in great shape, and condition. I bought it with 80,000 miles, and it now has about 105,000. I've driven it across states without hesitating. The only thing I've had to replace was the fuel pump at about 100. Everything else works fine, and even looks alright. The car isnt fast, but if you give enough gas it can go. I live in an area with snow, ice, rain, and hills, and this car works fine everywhere. I take good care of my cars aesthetically, and get their regular maintenance. But I drive the **** out of my cars, and this one is still holding up fine.

A year of Driving the Cavalier...
By ch0c0latel0vin on 04/27/12 00:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This practically being my first car, I can't really compare it to much. So for a first car, this is a solid pick. The only problems I honestly have with it, are the lack of power windows and locks, though that isn't a major problem, and the way it is made. The interior is so cheap, and the vent cable mechanism is rather faulty and pops out(mine just broke) unfortunately, the dash needs to be completely taken off to get to anything, and dealerships will charge you a lot for this(even though it really doesn't take all that long to get off) Other then that, this car has been reliable and the gas mileage is top notch. Putting a new set of tires on this thing definitely makes it so much better.

Great little car
By roger on 05/31/10 09:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not ugly. It is very cute and stylish. Interior could have used some improvement. I got 48 mpg on the highway and high 20's in town. This car is very fun to drive and handles beautifully. For the money paid, it is a great commuter car.

Reliable but ugly
By macjoel on 05/04/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car, I got it used. I like it a lot, but the interior is made of cheap plastic and is extremely flimsy and the springs in the seats popped out of the back of the seat. Driving the car is comfortable, but riding in it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. There is virtually no legroom in the back, and the passenger seat in the front is weird, it feel like your being squeezed. As for the exterior, the design was dated way before it came out. It basically looks like a crappy four door version of a 90s mustang. Performance is good, no complaints there, so the only thing is the interior and exterior.

couldnt be better
By jimn on 03/23/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2004 cavalier in 2005 from courier company I drove it for. After 13 months it had 108,000 miles, all highway driving 160 miles each way. Outstanding service records and maintenance. Paid 2250 for it with 60% tires, can you say stole it. Wife drives daily at 30 plus per mile. Have taken on several 800 to 1000 mile trips mileage as high as 38.5

Great Grocery Getter
By BCB on 12/24/08 12:29 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car new in 2004. This was second Cavalier I have owned and both have been rock solid and dependable. My current Cavalier has 163,000 on it and the only problem I have ever had was a master cylinder for the clutch. Great gas mileage, reliable, and inexpensive, what more could you ask for. Chevy would have been wise to keep this one in production as there is a large and loyal customer base. If they were still made, I would certainly be buying another one. Not fancy, exciting to drive, or exotic, but there are lots of us who want to get from point A to point B without spending a lot and with minimal maintenance headaches.

Satisfied
By G in NC on 10/05/08 08:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Chevy new in 2004. I have had only two problems: In 2006, my horn stopped working, and the airbag had to be removed to fixed the problem. A pricey fix but was covered by my warranty. Now at 56000 miles, my check engine light has come on and am told I need to replace an Oxygen sensor. No biggie. Overall, the ride in my car is comfortable but noisy in traffic. I am short, so I like that the car is more compact than others I've driven. I am not happy with the interior features: My dash has cracks from the sun, and the center console lid has completely fallen off. Other than that, I am happy with my purchase and love the gas economy. Good car for students!

Bought in 2005
By Mike J on 09/19/08 12:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my daughter in late 2005. She went on to something else in 2006 so I've driven this car since then. No problems. This is a bottom end car for Chevrolet and I expected more issues. I see others that are beat to death but still run so I expect mine to run for a long time. This car will put a 6 cylinder older Mustang down without breaking a sweat and still get 25-26 mpg!

No Frills Ride
By Monkey Man on 08/18/08 08:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing really surprising about it. The EcoTec engine is much more powerful than the clunker they used to put in Cavaliers. The sheetmetal is paper thin and dents easily. I damaged my quarter panel and was able to repair it by removing it, stomping on it a few times with my sneakers and putting it back on. The metal is that thin! It has been pretty reliable so far without problems, but I'm nowhere near the 100K mile mark yet. Interior and road noise is higher than in the late 90's versions. Ride is choppier too due to the tighter suspension and the 14" wheels. Styling is nothing exceptional but it looks better than it used to. Ugly toilet flusher style interior door handles, ugh.

1 2 3 4 5 next »