2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
First New Car
By rdaub on 03/27/13 15:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2004 Cavalier was my first NEW car purchase {had purchased used cars prior}. After 180,000+ miles can not really complain. It did what it was purchased to do - used as a commuter car, averaging over 400+ miles per week. After all of those miles, still getting 30+ mpg. Yes road-noisy ride, cd no longer works, replaced clutch after 175,000+ miles, shifter needs replaced [hard to get into 1st or 2nd, really loose]. But for a "basic $10,000.00 car" in 2004, it has been a worthy vehicle.

Great first time car
By kiprsnx on 02/20/13 21:04 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got my cavalier at around 40k miles, recently traded it in for a pickup at 105k miles. Was very sad to see it go. Only thing I ever needed to fix was a bad fuel pump and a leaking water pump. Got me through many drives from Washington-California, and a year of 30 mile work commutes. I also left it sitting for almost a year and had no problem starting it up. Only real complaints I have are the radio controls are blocked if you have anything in the cupholders, the piece of plastic on the dash against the windshield cracks and the road noise. Other than that, it's fun to drive, comfortable and has great gas mileage. Would definately recommend!

Great car!
By hannam on 10/14/12 19:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for almost a year before someone ran a red light and totaled it. Looks great for the price, easy to drive and great for a first car! I bought it with 90k and drove it to 100k. I did have a few issues with it. The backseat was really difficult to access. If you buy with the original radio, be aware that installing a new radio could put you in the $200-300 range as the system is connected to many other things in the car (like the beeps for when your car door is open). AC went out around 94,000 miles. The lights below around the gearshift went out, and I had to hit the gearshift to make them come back on. All in all, I'm still happy with the purchase and sad to lose it.

A great engine surrounded by an average car
By happychihuahua on 10/01/12 07:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The EcoTec 2.2 is a marvelous engine, its powerful, quiet and as reliable as an anvil, a testament to its foreign design. The rest of the car however is General Motors, what can you say. The steel on the car is paper thin, so even a slight bump will distort the quarter panels and your plastic bumper will never fit properly again. The interior is typical GM, with the bizarre toilet seat flusher door handles and the cheap plastic interior. The plastic covers by the mirrors tend to slap off and the manual mirror adjusters tend to break. The shift level gets loose and since its plastic will begin to fall apart, requiring replacement. The interior noise is higher than it should be.

It's doing its job.
By evanz on 09/27/12 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second car. I bought it, after weeks of searching for something else in my price range. I don't really like Chevy, but i got it in great shape, and condition. I bought it with 80,000 miles, and it now has about 105,000. I've driven it across states without hesitating. The only thing I've had to replace was the fuel pump at about 100. Everything else works fine, and even looks alright. The car isnt fast, but if you give enough gas it can go. I live in an area with snow, ice, rain, and hills, and this car works fine everywhere. I take good care of my cars aesthetically, and get their regular maintenance. But I drive the **** out of my cars, and this one is still holding up fine.

You get what you pay for
By dustyrose2 on 07/01/12 10:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006 with 60K miles. Its has needed alot of repairs, all my gauges stopped working in 2009, windshield wipers wont stop when you turn them off since 2010, air conditioner makes a constant ticking/clicking sound all the time since right after i bought it, I replaced the engine coils 2x, replaced ignition control module 6x, replaced water pump, fuel pump, clutch, many others cant remember everything, my timing belt started going out last week so I finally traded it in for a new car. Inside of the car is very cheap and basic, but hey the car was cheap and you get what you pay for. The gas mileage was excellent, I say its a good starter car for a teenager.

Best Value
By alanseymour on 05/17/12 10:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car is reliable. I have had no problems for over 116,000 miles so far. I do however change my oil on regular (specified) intervals. It has for a 2.2 Liter engine, good acceleration and it can drive smooth at 100 mph. I get ~ 29 miles per gallon with regular 87 octane gasoline - not bad. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a reliable, efficient commuter vehicle.

A year of Driving the Cavalier...
By ch0c0latel0vin on 04/27/12 00:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This practically being my first car, I can't really compare it to much. So for a first car, this is a solid pick. The only problems I honestly have with it, are the lack of power windows and locks, though that isn't a major problem, and the way it is made. The interior is so cheap, and the vent cable mechanism is rather faulty and pops out(mine just broke) unfortunately, the dash needs to be completely taken off to get to anything, and dealerships will charge you a lot for this(even though it really doesn't take all that long to get off) Other then that, this car has been reliable and the gas mileage is top notch. Putting a new set of tires on this thing definitely makes it so much better.

Dont buy a 2004 cavalier RUN!!!!
By hatecavalier04 on 02/13/12 10:27 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my cavalier.......when it is running! dont ever buy one I bought it with 65,000 miles on it and it has been worked on more than I have driven it. I take very good care of my cars but with this one it doesn't matter. It is cheaply made everywhere you look.it had an electrical problem which I spent a fortune to fix, probably way more than the car is worth. My cd player, radio and interior lights do not work still. If I try to put a fuse in it it just sparks...Im sure there is a short some where but im not putting any more money in this car. I have replaced the alternator multiple times with brand new ones. It dry starts, gauges dont work, replaced timing chain kit, etc. on and on

My first Car
By cjbridges on 10/31/11 22:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 16 years old and this is my first car, We bought it with 77k miles on it and it now has 80k, The only repairs we had to do were basic things like replacing the fluids, oil filter, oil, and a new battery, but other than that its had no major problems. The paint is rather cheap and chips easily, and the interiors plastic is cheap and the fabric is thin, however if you take car of it everything shouldn't crap out on you. My dash cracked and my engine light comes on when there is no problem, the car can be noisy at times, and my CD player broke, but I have to say there are no major problems. I like the sleek sporty design of the car.