Used 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Solid work car, with plenty of quirks.
By hpcrowley

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car from a buy here-pay here lot with $160k miles for a ridiculous price. Been reliable so far, but has SOOO many little problems. When I first bought it, the instrument cluster would go haywire at at random times, which was later attributed to moisture in the electronics. The climate control has an annoying click on any setting but recirculate, and the knobs broke to boot. the shifter has a disconcerting grind in it going into fourth gear. The interior is virtually destroyed, and the body isn't much better. okay, so now for the positives: it's been unwaveringly reliable for the past 6 months! The only expense I've had has been tires. All in all, a solid driver.

Favorite Features

Thrifty 4 cylinder engine, easy to park, tight handling.

Suggested Improvements

Body and interior quality could be improved.

Excellent car
By ravens1986

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cavy when it had around 135,000 miles on it. It's just now gotten to 218,000 after five years of owning it, and it's been exceptionally reliable. The only part to go bad on it was the fuel pump, I have not had to buy any other parts for it. Other than the standard oil change and brake service, new tires, and normal maintenance, I haven't had to put any money in to it. And I used to abuse the crap out of it when I was younger. Well worth the investment. I notice a lot of people posting about having all sorts of problems with theirs, but it's the absolute opposite for me. It's not the sportiest car, but it is reliable.

The Value Mobile
By sbe79

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in 2/2013 with a mere 38K on it. Had been garaged constantly and rarely driven in inclement weather. Basically, it was nearly mint. All in all, the car feels extremely cheap. It does not feel or drive like a 2003 of any type, it feels much older. It is a true budget mobile that offers no thrills or extras -- it's a wonder these ever sold at all up against the competitively priced Civic or Corolla. My wife drives it as an errand runner -- and she runs a lot of errands. It has so far proven it's dependability. Even though it feels like I could karate chop most of the interior, I think I could drive it at least part way across the US without issue.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature? The remarkable way that something that feels like it could fall apart in your hands holds together so firmly. Our car has had none of the problems this model year is famous for (faulty instrument cluster, fuel pump failure, temperature control failure) *knock on wood*. Keep in mind we have the base model whose features like crank windows and manual mirrors leave little room for a "wow" factor. It's dependable and likely on the inexpensive side to repair.

Suggested Improvements

#1. We have 2 toddlers we tote around. For some reason when their carseats are strapped in, they will without fail fall sideways in the back seat. This does not happen in my car or the car this one replaced. Is it the quality of the seatbelts or the layout of the backseat in general? #2. When switching from regular vent to defrost, the dial has very obvious resistance. I have heard a lot of complaints of snapped cables inside because of aggressive switching. You have to be conscious and extremely easy on this control.

So Many Problems
By allexwags

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 03 cavi with 130,000 miles. There are so many things wrong with it I'm not sure where to start.. I bought it used a year ago. The speedometer doesn't function at all, the whole dashboard doesn't function when it is hot outside. It burns through a quart of oil every week or so. Smokes out the muffler when I press on the gas after stopping, which is now held on to my car via tape. Cracked belt. Air only works when it wants to. I hate this car. There are so many things wrong with it & I can't even save up money to buy a new one because it needs so much maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

reliabilty

Never buy governmert motors
By danddad33

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

bought the can new with 7 miles on it. around 350 miles the heater switch went on it. Next one happen around two years after owning the car. wife called and told me car will not stay running. I ran the car about a mile to the house, with it stalling about 100 times. this is 36,000 the fuel pump went. well the good news was that the car was too new for the bolts to rust. I changed it. around 54,000 miles the gauges on the dash went hay-wire. Stepper motor bad, easy fix with the dash pulled apart. Now that the car is 12 years old and 97,000 miles the motor went. I have a ford ranger close to 200,000 miles only thing went was the timing belt. I love my ford!!! NO MORE CHEVY!!!!!

Favorite Features

I hate the car!!! I do not like anything about the car!!! I was a chevy man until this car. I can not believe that they put out crap like this.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Ford or other car. Do not buy a chevy.