Used 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Good cheap car
By Matt

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 03 Cavalier used, 125000km on it, it has 175,000 on it 2 years later. This car was my hero in bad times once I was finished school looking for a job. It is so cheap to maintain and repair. Somebody hit my car and ran, I bought a new bumper for 40 bucks from somebody and put it on. Nothing has gone wrong with this car, except a fuel pump, because all I could afford was to put 5 bucks of gas in it and ran it on the light the whole time (my own fault). You will dust standard Civics and Corollas in this thing, not any Japanese cars give you 155lb feet at mid range. Fuel economy is excellent. Car gets a bit rattly with age, but so does any car. Buy it!

Cheapest car in the world to maintain. Peppier than your buddies think. Good gas mileage. Easy to do you own oil changes and tune-ups. Good braking performance.

It's base car. If I got leather seats I would be paying a lot more. Unnecessary for someone on a budget. If you want a luxury car, look elsewhere.

Junk
By DaddyHines

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier brand new in 2003. In October of 2008 I had to replace the engine because my oil pump was not working. None of the dashboard lights lit up or anything. It just died one day. My Cavalier has less than 75000 miles and got oil changes regularly. The mechanic says it was a manufacturer defect but of course, Chevy offers no help. My heat only comes out the passenger side vent and my rear defroster stopped working like a year after I had the car. Other than that, it's great.

Air conditioning cools fast and the gas mileage is fantastic. Drives great in the snow which is good for Pennsylvania

Cheap engine and lots of small problems, maybe Chevy should put my quality into making their vehicles and stop worrying about how to scam people out of their money.

Good value
By rt

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My car has over 145,000 miles on it and virtually trouble free. Only the fuel pump replaced (at $500 at 5 yrs and 125k mark) the rest was maintenance: tires, serpentine belt, battery, brakes, but nothing at all expensive. 2/3 of the mileage is freeway; the rest local. I drive 70, get 35mpg without air, 33 with air on. 5 speed. no frills, except CD player. No issues and no worries.

Economical, predictable. I have golden yellow, so the younger kids love it. Absolutely worry free. Pass through trunk with a low lying entry is nice! Is amazing what you can haul.

Cup holders in the way, poor seat support - I'm ready to get out to stretch after 2 hrs. Now at 145k starting to feel it bog down at take off. Time for its first official tune up and then pass down to my16 yr old son in good working, still good looking and safe condition

Worst Cavalier I have ever had.
By CM

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Cavalier and I would warn anyone to beware. I have had more problems with this Cavalier than any other and have had over 100,000 miles on all my vehicles. I just had to replace the engine, have replaced the fuel pump and now all the gages are crazy. I can be driving along at about 30 miles per hour and the next thing I know my speedometer says I am going 110 Miles per hour. Same thing happens to gas gauge and temperature gauge and now the tachometer is starting to go crazy too. Also the switch for the heater won't work right either. This car has been giving good treatment and service but this kind of problems should not be happening. Needless to say GM fix it for a price!

Economical

Quit trying to fix something that ain't broke. The 1997, and 2000 engines were fine. Keep the engineers away from the vehicle if it ain't broke!

2003 Cavalier
By andre toulon

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

OK car. Bad tailight sockets-recalled, r/r power steering pump 22k, fuel pump 55k, dash guage cluster gone haywire at 45k, needed calipers at 75k, rear window defog not working 65k.

2.2 ecotec engine, chain timing

Why put thermostat under exhaust manifold? Very pricey to replace.

• SUV