2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Really Good Basic Transport
By analyzerlx on 10/03/05 21:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven this Cavalier from Vegas to Baltimore, MD. back to Vegas and then to Georgia. It's been everywhere in-between. I've used it as a pizza delivery car! I think GM did right with this engine and body style. I wish the fit-and-finish were up to Asian and Euro standards, but you get what you pay for I guess. I like the Cobalt, but think the Cavalier has a better look. Cavalier may have been a checkered ast, but it still is one of Chevy's best selling cars ever! Cobalt should be renamed Cavalier to keep the legacy alive. I bought my car as a standard 4-door sedan w/o all the bells and whistles inside. I've had to replace the trunk latch. Overall a great American car!

2003 Cavalier
By Jim on 09/10/05 13:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a 96 Cavalier coupe, and putting 175,000 miles on it with no problems, original everything, I had to get a new one with the awsome ecotec. Performance mods are endless. even better than my first!

Happy with Cavalier
By James O'Melia on 07/24/05 20:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased it new and have had no problems. This is my second Cavalier, having bought a '97 new. Great A/C and heat, pickup, reliability, and gas mileage. I like its looks too. I disagree with Consumer Reports concerning this vehicle's comfort and interior design. I would recommend it to anyone in the market for cheap transportation and some degree of style.

Wish there were no problems
By Denise on 06/29/05 15:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My car has had some issues. My windows needed to be repaired two times under initial warranty. Make rear seat came off tracking and needed repair. My trunk latch has issues and needs to be closed several times before latching. With all the shutting, the spoiler has cracked and need to take it into the dealership. I got a nice blue color which I loved but the car has so many scratches, it looks pathetic. This was the first brand new car I purchased and have been very disappointed. BTW - wheels on sports model are VERY expensive to replace if a flat hurts rim. The car also uses special oil filter which some places charge an extra $10 to change.

An awesome car at a bargain price
By Defendar on 06/26/05 22:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Cavalier. Also owned a 1988 and 2000 Cavalier. I bought this car fully loaded planning to keep it for a long time. Well losing my job forced me to take a job 107 miles away from home. So my daily commute totals 214 miles. At 88,000 miles I just replaced the fuel pump. I'm still on my first brakes and tires, even though both probably need to be replaced soon. This car has fantastic low-end torque. You can get yourself in trouble in no time at all, blowing away everything in its class and then some. Considering the cost, this car is a total steal and you can tons of after- market parts to make a look a billion bucks, for less than $20,000 overall cost.

Excellent First New Car
By Steven Horvat on 06/24/05 18:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new inspite of what my parents have told me for 9,999 and added underbody spray, interior protectent at that time This car used to get 23-25 mpg but after my standered $200 dollars modifications to any car I get My mpg in city driveing went to 30mpg and 28 with the ac on! I have Royal Purple 5w20 engine oil, Royal purple trany oil. K&N stock air filter, Iridium spark plugs, and I pulled out the power robbing bong connected to the air box in the front left fender wall. Dynoed the car too. stock 153hp 156tq after mods: 173hp 180tq. Got a ram air hood too. 20k comming up soon great ride for my first new car.

Practical and inexpensive
By Hibiscus on 06/07/05 15:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 9 miles on it and have put almost 17,000 miles on it since May 2003. It has great mileage, it's very reliable and seats our family of five in comfort. I've had squeaky brakes, but my mechanic says these Cavaliers come with brakes that have a high metallic content. They work fine, but make a funny sound sometimes. This model has had three recalls for small items: a computer chip was reprogrammed, rear lights were replaced and an emissions sticker was added later. This is an inexpensive car that's great to drive and has a terrific sound system. This is the third Cavalier I've had and they've all been very reliable since I got my first in 1986. I'm very happy with it!

Highly recommend the Chevy Cavalier
By Stacey on 05/27/05 08:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a Ford Taurus, which was one of my most favorite cars. Three years ago I was run over by a tractor trailer and my car was totaled. Since that time I haven't been able to find another vehicle that I really like and I've had a few. That is until I purchased my Chevy Cavalier. For a little car it rides so smooth and handles real nice. I also love the way it looks. This car has really good pick up and you don't have to worry about getting left behind. This car is one of my favorites.

What you pay for
By metalshop on 04/28/05 13:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It's not as bad as some people say. A good car for the price, and when you buy a base model, expect base model features. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. I have almost 17K miles, and it hasn't been in the shop yet. It's taken me across the US and back 3 times now. Does everything I ask it to do. No problems with the CD player or the sunfoof. Great AC & heat.

Great car if you like squeaks and rattles
By Kamil on 02/21/05 18:07 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car in 2004 and got a good deal since it was an left over 2003. I was satisfied for the first several months then problems started occuring. I took it in for service several times and these problems still exist. Love the acceleration and the Getrag shifter is nice, but the crafstmanship that went into it stinks. My biggest complaints are with the heating unit since it makes strange noises, starting problems, the passenger seat moves when vehicle is in motion and NOISE. Whenever I go over bumps or train tracks the dashboard squeaks and rattles. It is a little embarrasing sometimes.