Used 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Basic yet under-rated
By cailean

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've got over 90,000 km on my car and it's still going strong - the only problem I had was with the cooling system just a month after I first bought it, and it hasn't been an issue since. It's far from being the fanciest car out there, but there's a lot more to it than people realize. Surprisingly sporty, excellent mileage for it's age, and a surprisingly large amount of cargo space - I once loaded three large book cases from Ikea with room to spare. I bought this car straight out of university when money was pretty tight. My money situation has improved, so I probably wouldn't buy it again, but would more than recommend it if you're needing to pinch some pennies.

Acceleration with a light load, fuel economy, starts in any weather (including a day of -30 without the block heater being plugged in)

Gets weighed down easily, interior materials are very poor quality, seats are uncomfortable for drives longer than an hour or so

6 good years together
By Muskokan

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just traded in my 2003 Cavalier for a 2009 cobalt. I really enjoyed driving it and had no real issue in the 160000 km. Rotors warped by 20k and again at 40000. Replaced with inexpensive after market brand and never had another problem. Wheel hubs were done while car still under warranty.I did very little maintenance, oil changes every 10-15 k, nothing else the owners manual suggested. It always started even in - 30 Celcius -22F. I got over 800km on a tank several times,38US mpg 6.1 l/100. I never really took good care of it and in 6 years it never let me down. I was impressed by the acceleration, 0- 100 km in 8.5 seconds is not bad for a car that cost 13 grand tax in.

fuel economy, reliability ,performance

put brake rotors on the car that are at least as good as a cheap aftermarket set

Cheap reliable transportation
By AP_From PA

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this in 2004 with about 9600 miles on it, no problems, except for a fuel pump that I had to replace. I got it for about 7K and I drove it over 70K miles. I can't ask for a better deal. Even today it has a decent re-sale value (about 3.5K easily). I do most regular maintenance myself and this car has been running like a champ. Fuel economy has been good too, in 2004 I got about 31 mpg combined, I still get about 28-29 mpg combined... even after increase in ethanol in fuel. If style is not your primary concern, and transportation is the only thing you care about then this is a good value.

Cheap and works like a champ with decent fuel economy.

Parking brake and Transmission shift lever are too close to each-other and need re-designed.

Never Again, will i buy a GM product
By jeff

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cavalier new in 2003 and i am not hard on a vehicle. But since i have had this car new it has been thru 3 sets of brakes and rotors, 2 times to have the horn fixed, first time was under warranty second time cost me some major money. The fuel pump went and that was a major blow to my pocket book. Over all the car is ok but when it comes time to fix something you better have a brinks truck in your back pocket to fix the stuff that goes wrong. I have a 94 S-10 that has 126000 miles on it and it hasnt cost me near what the cavalier has cost me. So i will never buy another gm product again.

gas mileage is good, awesome sound system, good car in the snow.

Maybe GM should stand behind there vehicles if they know of problems that keep happening. They definetly need better dealerships.

Good all around small car
By Bill Spond

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great gas mileage, 29-30 MPG on the interstate. I have had one wreck skidding backwards into a guardrail at about 50 mph and very little damage to the car. Very well built.

Gas mileage, easy to park, plenty of spunk when passing another car. Nice size trunk for a small car.

The cup holders need to be moved back and made bigger.