Used 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Worst Cavalier I have ever had.
By CM

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Cavalier and I would warn anyone to beware. I have had more problems with this Cavalier than any other and have had over 100,000 miles on all my vehicles. I just had to replace the engine, have replaced the fuel pump and now all the gages are crazy. I can be driving along at about 30 miles per hour and the next thing I know my speedometer says I am going 110 Miles per hour. Same thing happens to gas gauge and temperature gauge and now the tachometer is starting to go crazy too. Also the switch for the heater won't work right either. This car has been giving good treatment and service but this kind of problems should not be happening. Needless to say GM fix it for a price!

Economical

Quit trying to fix something that ain't broke. The 1997, and 2000 engines were fine. Keep the engineers away from the vehicle if it ain't broke!

Good Car
By April

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a few years ago and overall I have been pleased. I had to replace my fuel pump about a year ago. Also one of the window motors went out (still haven't fixed it!) the sir conditioning does buzz, but I've gotten used to that by now. My dashboard has cracked in 2 places, and I'm not too thrilled with that. The gas mileage is great though and my favorite part about the car! The cup holders are in a terrible spot. I don't know whose bright idea that was, but they need to be slapped. Overall, I have no regrets. It gets me to where I'm going effectively and efficiently.

Great gas mileage!

Move those blasted cupholders to a more convenient location!!! And fix the buzz in the air conditioning!

Nice Work Car
By Bill Spond

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had the car very long but I really like it. Good performance, good ride for a small car. Has 83000 miles on it and it feels like a new one. 26 miles to the gallon, I had hoped for 30. Over all a good solid little car.

Performance and stereo

Cup holders need to be bigger and moved farther back on the console.

Fun and Carefree
By Trixi

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier immediately following ABS problems in a previous car (a much larger and less fuel efficient Cadillac). I bought it from a rental car sales lot and since then I have put 1 qt and a half of oil in it (exc oil changes), no coolant, 2 air filters, one set of brakes, and put air in the tires twice. Coming from an extreme nickel and diming situation, this car provided me with an oasis of carefree driving. I love to drive it; its agile and quick, makes almost no noise, and never runs hot. This car is definitely my "little buddy". I plan on doing several aftermarket changes to update it a little, but it doesn't need much.

Sanddrift color, tight handling. It's simple and economic, not a playground with all those stupid extras. Standard model is awesome.

I would have liked to have seen a real ashtray, but it was so easy to modify it myself i don't suppose it matters.

Economy doesn't meet comfort
By Bri

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned this car for 3 years, and I'm just now trading it in. My husband is in the military, so it was easy to put 60k on it in that amount of time. This car gave me no trouble for 2 1/2 years, until the fuel pump went out. I wasn't surprised, as GM is noted for recalls. With an aftermarket air filter, I got 39 miles to the gallon in this car. The only reason I'm trading in is because we're expecting a baby, and there's no way a car seat will comfortably fit in this back seat. Moderate comfort for 2 people, but don't bother if you have a child or any friends to drive around. The front controls are horribly placed, and it's small. But all in all I loved this car. Very reliable.

Gas mileage! I saved literally thousands on gas when the prices hiked up. Very nice sound system (GM cars usually have awesome sound.) Air conditioning is cold fast, smaller engine means faster heat in the winter.

Total fuel pump recall. This car is not something you buy for drag racing, you buy it for economy. Bigger bucket seats in the front, maybe spare some trunk room for some leg room in the back.