2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Good value
By rt on 10/28/08 20:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My car has over 145,000 miles on it and virtually trouble free. Only the fuel pump replaced (at $500 at 5 yrs and 125k mark) the rest was maintenance: tires, serpentine belt, battery, brakes, but nothing at all expensive. 2/3 of the mileage is freeway; the rest local. I drive 70, get 35mpg without air, 33 with air on. 5 speed. no frills, except CD player. No issues and no worries.

Worst Cavalier I have ever had.
By CM on 09/16/08 08:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Cavalier and I would warn anyone to beware. I have had more problems with this Cavalier than any other and have had over 100,000 miles on all my vehicles. I just had to replace the engine, have replaced the fuel pump and now all the gages are crazy. I can be driving along at about 30 miles per hour and the next thing I know my speedometer says I am going 110 Miles per hour. Same thing happens to gas gauge and temperature gauge and now the tachometer is starting to go crazy too. Also the switch for the heater won't work right either. This car has been giving good treatment and service but this kind of problems should not be happening. Needless to say GM fix it for a price!

2003 Cavalier
By andre toulon on 07/24/08 03:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

OK car. Bad tailight sockets-recalled, r/r power steering pump 22k, fuel pump 55k, dash guage cluster gone haywire at 45k, needed calipers at 75k, rear window defog not working 65k.

It's Alright
By Timon on 07/06/08 18:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At first glance this car caught my attention. Sporty inexpensive and fuel economic! This car drives smooth. Power is OK. Exterior is OK as well but overall this car was a great purchase. And yes the cup holders were a bad idea!

Good Car
By April on 06/12/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a few years ago and overall I have been pleased. I had to replace my fuel pump about a year ago. Also one of the window motors went out (still haven't fixed it!) the sir conditioning does buzz, but I've gotten used to that by now. My dashboard has cracked in 2 places, and I'm not too thrilled with that. The gas mileage is great though and my favorite part about the car! The cup holders are in a terrible spot. I don't know whose bright idea that was, but they need to be slapped. Overall, I have no regrets. It gets me to where I'm going effectively and efficiently.

Best Car Ever!
By Tonya on 04/21/08 08:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 7 miles on it in 2002. Since then I have pretty much driven the heck out of it. Had a rear light replaced and emissions sticker put on as far as the recall, but the only major thing I've replaced was the fuel pump. I'm pretty hard on cars, so of course I've had general maintenance work, including brakes....and maybe a tire or 3. This car gets great gas mileage, even with the A/C on. I drive all over, so I needed something economical. This makes my 3rd Cavalier. Previously I owned a 1988 and 1994, both were great cars. I will drive this car til it falls apart, since GM discontinued it. This car has been the very best. Plus, it's completely paid off!

Back Luck again with Chevy's
By ptrecek on 11/16/07 05:41 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Love the general look of Chevy's however, I've had back luck with them for some reason. Transmission in this car went out at 65,000 miles. Car stalls at red lights when the A/C is running.

Good for the money
By Anomaly21 on 11/13/07 20:42 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cavaliers never claimed to be anything that they wern't. This car has over 90k on it and is still running strong. The only thing that we've done with it is replace the original battery and do the regular oil changes, air filter replacements and fluid checks etc. The ecotec is a low maintence engine and they are still using it in the Colbalts and the HHR's. Parts are mostly cheap, 14" tires are cheap. You're not going to get great performance out of it unless you mod it a little, monotone interior is no frills but all your needs are there. Cup holders are a problem, cups will cover your climate control & if you have the 5 speed manual, your going to be hitting your cups when you shift.

Nice Work Car
By Bill Spond on 10/27/07 18:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had the car very long but I really like it. Good performance, good ride for a small car. Has 83000 miles on it and it feels like a new one. 26 miles to the gallon, I had hoped for 30. Over all a good solid little car.

Fun and Carefree
By Trixi on 08/18/07 17:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier immediately following ABS problems in a previous car (a much larger and less fuel efficient Cadillac). I bought it from a rental car sales lot and since then I have put 1 qt and a half of oil in it (exc oil changes), no coolant, 2 air filters, one set of brakes, and put air in the tires twice. Coming from an extreme nickel and diming situation, this car provided me with an oasis of carefree driving. I love to drive it; its agile and quick, makes almost no noise, and never runs hot. This car is definitely my "little buddy". I plan on doing several aftermarket changes to update it a little, but it doesn't need much.