Used 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Drives well...when it drives
By crapaliergirl

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I keep my cars in great shape - my previous car was a 30 year old VW in mint condition. This car - well. Under warranty: Bearings some sort of alternator shelf? catalytic converter Covered because though not under warranty, acknowledged problem: ENGINE (faulty block - if your engine goes - INVESTIGATE AND PUSH!) Not under warranty: brakes and rotors - constantly warps rotors within first 5,000 kms. $400 Fuel pump at 125,000 kms - although thousands of complaints, claim it's a "fuel supply" issue and not a fuel pump issue. Yes - apparently, by the thousands of complaints, it's one all over north America. nice one, GM. interior poorly setup - cannot use heat knobs with cup holders full.

peppy and fast. attractive exterior design.

quality control - take responsibility for faulty parts. don't pass the buck to fuel companies - you make crappy fuel pumps. fix them. you have crappy brake systems (not the brakes - those were a different brand) - fix it. I will not buy a GM product again.

A piece of junk!
By Valerie

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new with 3 miles on it. Thought it would be a great reliable car. WRONG! I had every stupid little thing go wrong with it possible. I replaced the rear turn signals about 20 times and finally the dealership did some fixing to it. Didn't work cause I Still had to replace it once a month. The windows, BOTH, broke and wouldn't go down so I had to have my father fix them several times. The interior lights had issues with flickering constantly. Another electrical problem the dealership fixed and it restarted again. Had some engine issues but luckily my father is a mechanic so it didn't cost too much.

It was a cute car and had it actually ran I would of loved it. I really didn't like a thing about it because of the stupid issues.

EVERYTHING! This vehicle lacks quality in every area!

I love my cavalier
By Nicole

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first car. I've had it for almost 2 yrs now and have over 110K on it and it's still running strong. AC works amazing and so does the heat. It gets regular oil changes and tune ups and has amazing gas mileage. I've done alot of driving in it, miles at a time sometimes and it doesn't ever have a problem. I've gotten into one accident with it and it was just exterior damage, and the car looks and feels like it never happened. Nothing major has had to be fixed on it yet. Runs very well in the snow.. Very reliable car!!

I love the gas mileage it gets, the sporty look to it, Cool AC and the reliability.

I think all the cavaliers should have ABS. Also the cupholders stink where they are at. it would also be nice if everything wasn't manual. (example: the mirrors) it's a little frustrating when they freeze to a weird position in the snow.

6 good years together
By Muskokan

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just traded in my 2003 Cavalier for a 2009 cobalt. I really enjoyed driving it and had no real issue in the 160000 km. Rotors warped by 20k and again at 40000. Replaced with inexpensive after market brand and never had another problem. Wheel hubs were done while car still under warranty.I did very little maintenance, oil changes every 10-15 k, nothing else the owners manual suggested. It always started even in - 30 Celcius -22F. I got over 800km on a tank several times,38US mpg 6.1 l/100. I never really took good care of it and in 6 years it never let me down. I was impressed by the acceleration, 0- 100 km in 8.5 seconds is not bad for a car that cost 13 grand tax in.

fuel economy, reliability ,performance

put brake rotors on the car that are at least as good as a cheap aftermarket set

Never Again, will i buy a GM product
By jeff

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cavalier new in 2003 and i am not hard on a vehicle. But since i have had this car new it has been thru 3 sets of brakes and rotors, 2 times to have the horn fixed, first time was under warranty second time cost me some major money. The fuel pump went and that was a major blow to my pocket book. Over all the car is ok but when it comes time to fix something you better have a brinks truck in your back pocket to fix the stuff that goes wrong. I have a 94 S-10 that has 126000 miles on it and it hasnt cost me near what the cavalier has cost me. So i will never buy another gm product again.

gas mileage is good, awesome sound system, good car in the snow.

Maybe GM should stand behind there vehicles if they know of problems that keep happening. They definetly need better dealerships.