2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Really good Cavalier
By Darby J. Pruitt on 08/03/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This 03 Cavalier is the 2nd Cavalier I have owned, and besides the few problems that I have had this car has seen me though thick and thin. Now that I have hit 105,000 miles I'm looking forward to it's first real tuneup. It diffenetly has the get up go I need to fly past any import I come across. The comfort is pretty good seeing I managed to stay setted for 10 hours on two 780 mile trips, and I think the automatic transmissons are as good as the manuels. The only problems I've had are the fuel pump, e- vac canister, and catalytic converter, (the converter was my fault for running hard everyday). And after 1 wreak with a BMW (BMW's fault) the Cavalier is still running like she means it.

A great car.
By nollocs on 07/30/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car brand new in 2003. I love it. I have had a few problems. But nothing big. The gauge cluster acts up some times and will not work. I had a rod that was bent in the AC unit, but that was fixed under warranty. It has 87,000 mile now. This last tank of gas I got just over 34 mpg in mixed driving. But I usually average 30-31mpg in mixed driving. It has plenty of power for a cheap car.

I love my cavalier
By Nicole on 07/10/09 22:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first car. I've had it for almost 2 yrs now and have over 110K on it and it's still running strong. AC works amazing and so does the heat. It gets regular oil changes and tune ups and has amazing gas mileage. I've done alot of driving in it, miles at a time sometimes and it doesn't ever have a problem. I've gotten into one accident with it and it was just exterior damage, and the car looks and feels like it never happened. Nothing major has had to be fixed on it yet. Runs very well in the snow.. Very reliable car!!

Basic yet under-rated
By cailean on 07/10/09 10:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've got over 90,000 km on my car and it's still going strong - the only problem I had was with the cooling system just a month after I first bought it, and it hasn't been an issue since. It's far from being the fanciest car out there, but there's a lot more to it than people realize. Surprisingly sporty, excellent mileage for it's age, and a surprisingly large amount of cargo space - I once loaded three large book cases from Ikea with room to spare. I bought this car straight out of university when money was pretty tight. My money situation has improved, so I probably wouldn't buy it again, but would more than recommend it if you're needing to pinch some pennies.

6 good years together
By Muskokan on 06/08/09 17:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just traded in my 2003 Cavalier for a 2009 cobalt. I really enjoyed driving it and had no real issue in the 160000 km. Rotors warped by 20k and again at 40000. Replaced with inexpensive after market brand and never had another problem. Wheel hubs were done while car still under warranty.I did very little maintenance, oil changes every 10-15 k, nothing else the owners manual suggested. It always started even in - 30 Celcius -22F. I got over 800km on a tank several times,38US mpg 6.1 l/100. I never really took good care of it and in 6 years it never let me down. I was impressed by the acceleration, 0- 100 km in 8.5 seconds is not bad for a car that cost 13 grand tax in.

Cheap reliable transportation
By AP_From PA on 06/02/09 09:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this in 2004 with about 9600 miles on it, no problems, except for a fuel pump that I had to replace. I got it for about 7K and I drove it over 70K miles. I can't ask for a better deal. Even today it has a decent re-sale value (about 3.5K easily). I do most regular maintenance myself and this car has been running like a champ. Fuel economy has been good too, in 2004 I got about 31 mpg combined, I still get about 28-29 mpg combined... even after increase in ethanol in fuel. If style is not your primary concern, and transportation is the only thing you care about then this is a good value.

Never Again, will i buy a GM product
By jeff on 05/19/09 17:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cavalier new in 2003 and i am not hard on a vehicle. But since i have had this car new it has been thru 3 sets of brakes and rotors, 2 times to have the horn fixed, first time was under warranty second time cost me some major money. The fuel pump went and that was a major blow to my pocket book. Over all the car is ok but when it comes time to fix something you better have a brinks truck in your back pocket to fix the stuff that goes wrong. I have a 94 S-10 that has 126000 miles on it and it hasnt cost me near what the cavalier has cost me. So i will never buy another gm product again.

Good all around small car
By Bill Spond on 01/25/09 13:48 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great gas mileage, 29-30 MPG on the interstate. I have had one wreck skidding backwards into a guardrail at about 50 mph and very little damage to the car. Very well built.

Good cheap car
By Matt on 12/29/08 12:43 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 03 Cavalier used, 125000km on it, it has 175,000 on it 2 years later. This car was my hero in bad times once I was finished school looking for a job. It is so cheap to maintain and repair. Somebody hit my car and ran, I bought a new bumper for 40 bucks from somebody and put it on. Nothing has gone wrong with this car, except a fuel pump, because all I could afford was to put 5 bucks of gas in it and ran it on the light the whole time (my own fault). You will dust standard Civics and Corollas in this thing, not any Japanese cars give you 155lb feet at mid range. Fuel economy is excellent. Car gets a bit rattly with age, but so does any car. Buy it!

Junk
By DaddyHines on 12/28/08 20:05 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier brand new in 2003. In October of 2008 I had to replace the engine because my oil pump was not working. None of the dashboard lights lit up or anything. It just died one day. My Cavalier has less than 75000 miles and got oil changes regularly. The mechanic says it was a manufacturer defect but of course, Chevy offers no help. My heat only comes out the passenger side vent and my rear defroster stopped working like a year after I had the car. Other than that, it's great.