2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
2003 cavalier
By wolverine39 on 05/09/11 02:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just sold my 03 Cavalier, it had 125,000 miles. I owned it for 18 months. I had problems with it leaking oil and had to replace the rear main seal, also recently the a/c unit went out in it which caused me to sell. but other than that it was reliable, always started and never left me on the side of the road.

115k miles and...
By neil27 on 02/22/11 20:02 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 115k miles on my Chevy cavalier. The price was very attractive. The car has surprisingly good slow speed acceleration. However, I've had numerous mechanical difficulties including: fuel pump failure, multiple evap canister failures, serious wire harness failure, ventilation blower failure, speaker problems, hood latch failure, power steering issues, broken seat. In addition the car eats front end brake rotors at high rate. The transmission failed with 12k miles, but was replaced on warranty. The rear suspension is noisy and rides really rough. Road noise levels are high. The interior design, especially the placement of the cup holders, is terrible

lemon yellow lemon
By Kay on 05/10/10 21:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003 and thought it would be a good car for my needs. I had it in for repairs 5 times under warranty and count fewer times since. Now it has headlight problems and turn signal light on passenger side blows out every 2 to 3 weeks. I would never buy a GM car again!

Not a good choice
By Jay on 04/05/10 23:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My parents bought me this car when I graduated but I wish they went with something else. Ive owned one for 3 years and now selling it. It is very reliable and doesn't have many mechanical problems at all but the entire interior design is made from cheap easy to break materials. Even the seats are VERY uncomfortable for driving for long periods my back would actually start to hurt after 3 or so hours and i'd have to get out and stretch, the cup holders are ridiculously placed right behind the cup holders. Don't expect the CD drive to last long either. Not to mention what car nowadays doesn't have power doors OR windows??The brakes also stink on wet roads, the steering is loose.

fun but it has its problems
By chevycavalierowner on 03/17/10 21:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car with 50,000 miles on it. The car drives excellent. IT is real fun to drive. The only thing wrong with it is its real cramped inside, and the car car is real torquey.

Great car for the money
By Rae on 12/21/09 08:28 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002 and have about 97,000 miles on it. I just had to replace the fuel pump ($600), replaced the brake pads, and have put new tires on the car. Other than that, regular oil changes and the car drives wonderfully. It may not be the fanciest car around, but for someone on a budget, it is perfect.

coolest car ever
By cavi lover on 12/03/09 14:14 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Traded 03 cavi. For a another 03 cavi cause I wanted the sport pkg and manual tran. Car handles great. Fun driving it around with Windows down moonroof open and radio cranked up. I can go 3 to 4 weeks on a single tank of gas. I took it on a 14 hr road trip to Texas this past summer and that was fun. Has been reliable since only a few minor fixer uppers. Cluster wouldn't work when it got over 90 degrees and the car was sitting out in sun. Easy fix I just replaced it. And one of my wires on abs broke off front tire. That's it.

Love my Cavy
By mdshome on 11/30/09 00:59 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 10,000 miles on it. Have driven the heck out of it for 6+ years. Currently has 190,000 miles on it and still runs like a dream. Other than brakes, rotors, and a fuel pump no other problems. Didn't think about the cup holders being a problem, just slightly inconvenient. With back seat down, I have hauled 8 foot 2x4's in it and use it like a truck. Still getting me 28-32 mpg consistently. Drives great in the snow. I make it to work when people with 4x4s don't. Makes me laugh!

Drives well...when it drives
By crapaliergirl on 11/23/09 16:46 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I keep my cars in great shape - my previous car was a 30 year old VW in mint condition. This car - well. Under warranty: Bearings some sort of alternator shelf? catalytic converter Covered because though not under warranty, acknowledged problem: ENGINE (faulty block - if your engine goes - INVESTIGATE AND PUSH!) Not under warranty: brakes and rotors - constantly warps rotors within first 5,000 kms. $400 Fuel pump at 125,000 kms - although thousands of complaints, claim it's a "fuel supply" issue and not a fuel pump issue. Yes - apparently, by the thousands of complaints, it's one all over north America. nice one, GM. interior poorly setup - cannot use heat knobs with cup holders full.

A piece of junk!
By Valerie on 11/13/09 13:30 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new with 3 miles on it. Thought it would be a great reliable car. WRONG! I had every stupid little thing go wrong with it possible. I replaced the rear turn signals about 20 times and finally the dealership did some fixing to it. Didn't work cause I Still had to replace it once a month. The windows, BOTH, broke and wouldn't go down so I had to have my father fix them several times. The interior lights had issues with flickering constantly. Another electrical problem the dealership fixed and it restarted again. Had some engine issues but luckily my father is a mechanic so it didn't cost too much.