Used 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Good Car
By April

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a few years ago and overall I have been pleased. I had to replace my fuel pump about a year ago. Also one of the window motors went out (still haven't fixed it!) the sir conditioning does buzz, but I've gotten used to that by now. My dashboard has cracked in 2 places, and I'm not too thrilled with that. The gas mileage is great though and my favorite part about the car! The cup holders are in a terrible spot. I don't know whose bright idea that was, but they need to be slapped. Overall, I have no regrets. It gets me to where I'm going effectively and efficiently.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Move those blasted cupholders to a more convenient location!!! And fix the buzz in the air conditioning!

Economy doesn't meet comfort
By Bri

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned this car for 3 years, and I'm just now trading it in. My husband is in the military, so it was easy to put 60k on it in that amount of time. This car gave me no trouble for 2 1/2 years, until the fuel pump went out. I wasn't surprised, as GM is noted for recalls. With an aftermarket air filter, I got 39 miles to the gallon in this car. The only reason I'm trading in is because we're expecting a baby, and there's no way a car seat will comfortably fit in this back seat. Moderate comfort for 2 people, but don't bother if you have a child or any friends to drive around. The front controls are horribly placed, and it's small. But all in all I loved this car. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage! I saved literally thousands on gas when the prices hiked up. Very nice sound system (GM cars usually have awesome sound.) Air conditioning is cold fast, smaller engine means faster heat in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Total fuel pump recall. This car is not something you buy for drag racing, you buy it for economy. Bigger bucket seats in the front, maybe spare some trunk room for some leg room in the back.

Economical and reliable
By Maggie

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with nine miles on it, so all of its miles have been mine. It's solid on fuel economy and roomy for a small sedan. I've had very few problems with it (an automatic window motor was replaced under warranty and I've had a tire and battery go, but that's been it). I have two small peeves: the back windows won't go all the way down, which my 11-year-olds hate and the temp control is right where your drink is, which means an extra step when you don't want to be fumbling with a travel mug. Other than that, it's been a great car thus far. I'm going to keep it until the 11-year-olds get their licenses--if I live that long-- so I'm taking very good care of the car.

Favorite Features

Metallic sanddrift finish is very nice. Price was great, fuel economy very good. Very reliable car with a terrific sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Move that temp control away from the drink holders! Make the windows go all the way down in the back seat.

Too Good To Be True
By HEID

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I should have known the price was too good to be true, I love to drive my car, however that is when it runs. It only has 32000 miles on it, and is in the shop more than driven, and Chevy does not stand behind their work. I think itís a good starter car, but if you want a reliable car for day to day never ever by a Cavalier. Trust me I learned the hard way, and still owe 10,000.00 on the car

Favorite Features

Color, stereo, and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Make the engine more reliable by using better parts, and maintain service very well or you will be sorry.

Wish there were no problems
By Denise

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My car has had some issues. My windows needed to be repaired two times under initial warranty. Make rear seat came off tracking and needed repair. My trunk latch has issues and needs to be closed several times before latching. With all the shutting, the spoiler has cracked and need to take it into the dealership. I got a nice blue color which I loved but the car has so many scratches, it looks pathetic. This was the first brand new car I purchased and have been very disappointed. BTW - wheels on sports model are VERY expensive to replace if a flat hurts rim. The car also uses special oil filter which some places charge an extra $10 to change.

Favorite Features

I love the overall look which I wish the whole car redeemed the same.