Used 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Love My Yellow Cav
By kimmy03cav

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little Cavalier. It has gotten me from A to B everyday since day one in 2003 when I drove it off the lot. When I first brought her home, I had numerous little problems, bad wiring harnesses that blew my blinkers out weekly, rusty roters that caused a pulsation, blew my speakers too but, In 8 years the only major problem was a fuel pump after owning it for 7 years and 110k. It's peppy for a 4 cly. 2.2 automatic. Best car ever! I lover it and I don't want to sell her but I need room for little ones.

Favorite Features

I love it's gas mileage and it's maneuverability. It's nice to look at too. She till turns heads after 8 years.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for passenger. My husband is 6'4'' and his knees press on the dash. The metal must be poor quality too. I washed weekly and waxed every 6 months and still she's rusting out on me. Must be a common problem because there is a yellow one just like mine at the gym I go to and it's rusting in the same spots.

lemon yellow lemon
By Kay

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003 and thought it would be a good car for my needs. I had it in for repairs 5 times under warranty and count fewer times since. Now it has headlight problems and turn signal light on passenger side blows out every 2 to 3 weeks. I would never buy a GM car again!

Favorite Features

Cute car, drives well, heater and AC works, sound system is good

Suggested Improvements

It would have been helpful if General Motors would issue recalls since most of these cars seem to have the same problems

Drives well...when it drives
By crapaliergirl

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I keep my cars in great shape - my previous car was a 30 year old VW in mint condition. This car - well. Under warranty: Bearings some sort of alternator shelf? catalytic converter Covered because though not under warranty, acknowledged problem: ENGINE (faulty block - if your engine goes - INVESTIGATE AND PUSH!) Not under warranty: brakes and rotors - constantly warps rotors within first 5,000 kms. $400 Fuel pump at 125,000 kms - although thousands of complaints, claim it's a "fuel supply" issue and not a fuel pump issue. Yes - apparently, by the thousands of complaints, it's one all over north America. nice one, GM. interior poorly setup - cannot use heat knobs with cup holders full.

Favorite Features

peppy and fast. attractive exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

quality control - take responsibility for faulty parts. don't pass the buck to fuel companies - you make crappy fuel pumps. fix them. you have crappy brake systems (not the brakes - those were a different brand) - fix it. I will not buy a GM product again.

Best Car Ever!
By Tonya

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 7 miles on it in 2002. Since then I have pretty much driven the heck out of it. Had a rear light replaced and emissions sticker put on as far as the recall, but the only major thing I've replaced was the fuel pump. I'm pretty hard on cars, so of course I've had general maintenance work, including brakes....and maybe a tire or 3. This car gets great gas mileage, even with the A/C on. I drive all over, so I needed something economical. This makes my 3rd Cavalier. Previously I owned a 1988 and 1994, both were great cars. I will drive this car til it falls apart, since GM discontinued it. This car has been the very best. Plus, it's completely paid off!

Favorite Features

Everything works! Excellent acceleration, idles quiet, no wind issues while driving, great stereo, dark interior (so you can't see what a slob I really am), and it's cute. Easy to maintain, and easy for a do-it- yourselfer like me to repair. Parts are always in stock, and fixing it up is inexpensive.

Suggested Improvements

Ok...I didn't have any problems with my cupholders being in front of the climate controls til I came to this site, I was just glad I had more than one. Now I'm really wishing I didn't have to move my cup to turn the air on. What a burden. Jeez...no big deal. it's worth the effort in a small car.

Good for the money
By Anomaly21

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cavaliers never claimed to be anything that they wern't. This car has over 90k on it and is still running strong. The only thing that we've done with it is replace the original battery and do the regular oil changes, air filter replacements and fluid checks etc. The ecotec is a low maintence engine and they are still using it in the Colbalts and the HHR's. Parts are mostly cheap, 14" tires are cheap. You're not going to get great performance out of it unless you mod it a little, monotone interior is no frills but all your needs are there. Cup holders are a problem, cups will cover your climate control & if you have the 5 speed manual, your going to be hitting your cups when you shift.

Favorite Features

Reliability, Decent exterior, better then average sound system. Manual tranny is fun to drive, still feels tight after 90K + Miles. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't matter they dont make them anymore but if they did; Reduce wind noise, upgrade interior design, locate cup holders in a better location. Add more options for engines. Increase side impact saftey.