2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Review: Average at best

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Review

Base Coupe (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Average at best
By cav_rider666 on

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Cavalier for six years now and the car has treated me well. The interior is roomy and comfortable, however the build quality is terrible and I have a nice crack that formed on top of the dash. The handling is ok if you drive sensibly, but the Cavalier isn't a blast to drive. It will do the trick to get you from A to B but you won't have much fun in the process. The 2.2L OHV engine is reliable and relatively cheap on gas, but don't expect the same level of performance or sophistication as the japanese brands. Overal the Cavalier was a good car for the price paid but there are far better cars out there.

Favorite Features

My 2002 VL sedan came verry well equipped. The ABS brakes and traction control are great for our rough Canadian winters. The air conditioning is ice cold and the power door locks are convinent.

Suggested Improvements

The Cavalier/Sunfires would have been good little cars if GM had improved the interior build quality. The hard plastics are cheap and age poorly, and I have many small trim peices (seat handles, window regulator handles) that have literally fallen off. The reliability of these cars is far from great. The control arm bushings, stock radio, alternator, fuel pump and exhaust all had to be replaced, totaling close to $2000 in repairs. Improved reliability would have also made these cars better choices. Finally the interior is loud. Better sound proofing would have made it more comfortable.