Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Good little road rocket
By bert

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought as a short commute vehicle, never a major problem. Taken on a few long road trips. Always faithfully maintained due to low mileage/time ratio. One window motor failed, replaced via warranty. Brakes at 25000, good mileage considering short city daily drive, and multiple stops per mile driven. Never any problems, mileage decent, wasnt bought as an economy car. This little vehicle with the dual overhead cams will perform, and looks nice too. The traction control/anti-locks work very well in a Chicago area winter. I have found no faults with it.

No problem running at higher speed interstate traffic in a quiet, comfortable way. It will also surprise cars costing triple the price on a twisting country two lane.

Not required. The car isn't made anymore

Fantastic little car. GM girl for life
By Amy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After having a baby in 2001, I was beginning to feel way too momish. I missed having a small sporty car and purchased this car new in March 2002. Loved the car from the very start, very comfortable and roomy interior ( rear-facing car seat fits easily in and out of the back seat), great handling, and quick/zippy performance from the 2.2L Ecotec engine. Unfortunately, I have a tendancy to drive my cars extremely hard and often forget about routine preventative maintenance (like oil). Oil was changed maybe 5 times. My engine siezed in April 2007 at 83K miles. I have since replaced the engine with a 2005 2.2L Ecotectand now running great. Even at 5 yrs old the interior looks almost like new.

Chrome alloy wheels, trunk lid spoiler, ground effects, and fog lights give this car a great sporty appearance.

Quicker power windows. GMs are notorious for having painfully slow power windows (when rolling up).

A good city driver
By cav_rider666

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cavalier may not be the most exiting compact sedan out there but its definitely worth taking a closer look at this value filled sedan. The 2.2L OHV engine design offers acceptable power, great fuel economy and offers one of the best automatic transmissions in its class. The Cavalier's timeless yet elegant lines make it pleasant to look at and its poor resell value makes it a great used buy. The interior is roomy, somewhat comfortable on long trips and offers ample cargo and storage space while still being able to comfortably accomodate 5 adults.

Equiped with 4 wheel ABS brakes, advanced traction control, A/C, power door locks with remote entry and a factory CD player the Cavalier offers a great deal of equipment for the price. However the factory CD player is cheaply built and costs a fortune to replace.

Overall the Cavalier is a litle like a C+ student; all the base elements are there to make it great however GM chose not to invest much into there "J" Cars; the interior fit in finish is terrible; the plastics are verry cheap and the seating materials are terrible Reliability is not its finest point

Great Car
By TUowl05

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 2 door LS sport in July of 2003 with 5k miles on it. It was a great car that was extremely reliable and relatively fun to drive. I only had to replace the driver's side window motor as that went out at about 35k miles. Other than that the car was flawless. My only complaint was the paint is pretty crappy. You could scratch it with your fingernail. Despite waxing it reguraly nicks and scratches always seemed to pop up. I recently traded it in on an '06 Saab 9- 3 but even with the step up I still miss my Cavalier. It was a great little car during my college years. It had 55,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and was pleased with the $5k trade in I got for it.

Gas mileage, sunroof, quality audio system, reliability

Better paint. Original tires lasted about 25k miles. My interior didn't rattle too bad but I could tell it was going to soon.

Pretty Good Car
By shedsnomotearz

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost a year ago and the only problem I had was the front window motors burning out. Other than that, this is a great car to have. Pretty peppy 2.2L ECOTEC.

Leather Interior, rims

More leg room, Better place for cup holders, More powerful engine