2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
2002 Cavalier
By ESR on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Basic car. Good gas mileage. Fits a 6'3" guy like me. Put 160K on my 1996 Cav. and no major $ put in except for usual tires, brakes, ect...

Should've Bought 99' Acura Integra GS-R
By JMC-19 on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The first thing that comes to mind when i think about my cavalier is, clutch....the clutch in my ls sport grabs so high and feels like its already starting to go (and i know how to drive a stick).The other thing that comes to mind is brakes. I just rolled 3000 mi and my front rotors feel like they need to be cut. I will give Chevy a hand for the new ecotec engine though, because it is a lot smoother and quieter than my old 2.2L. And good luck if you change your oil at home, b/c you have to take the intake tube and air box cover off to get to the filter! But the filter is very nice , b/c you only have to drop into a cylinder.

Great Value
By SMR on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My last two vehicles were a Honda and Nissan. This time when shopping for a car the best value was a Cavalier. Nothing can compete for the price with traction control, ABS, cruise, power windows, CD. Mine drives great and I expect good dependability like my Cavalier I bought 10 years ago with less options for about the same price as the 02 I just bought. You can't beat it for value.

Stick to the LS Sport
By TonyQ567 on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For the price, the LS Sport is the best deal going. Don't waste your time with the base model when for just a few more dollars you can get a lot more car. The ECOTEC is an excellent engine that is far sturdier than the regular 2.2L found in the base model. The only problem so far has been trying to find aftermarket parts for it since it is so new.

Happy, So far.
By JC LS SPORT on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased an 02 LS Sport with a 5- speed in May and haven't had to take it to the shop yet. The new ecotec engine pulls pretty good for a 4 banger in 1st and 2nd gear, but after that it loses its pep. I wouldn't recommend racing any si civic's unless you're only going to race to 50mph. I did find the paint job to be quite poor. I can feel some rough spots where it feels like they didn't spray enough clearcoat. Other than that, the car has been good so far. Oh yeah and the rear drum brakes are just ridiculous. I thought i was buying a sport coupe?

Real world...
By john1428 on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Haven't owned it long enough for eval, but had one for 10 years and 140,000 trouble free miles, and this one is much better in initial quality. This is a great day-to-day commuter car, does a better job of providing real-world transportation than my last car, which cost $10,000 more. Outstanding deal with rebate, lots of car for the money, great looks.

good bang for the buck
By unwarranted on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a year ago. It's actually a 2001 Z24. At first I was a little upset that I bought this car instead of a Honda Civic. If it wasn't for this car's poor resale value it would be ideal. If you plan on keeping this car to its end then it's perfect. The acceleration and performance is much better than a Civic. The Civic I found hardly had any pep to it. The ride quality is a litte noisier than a Civic. My wife's corolla seems like a better ride than this, but I got the stick in the Z24 and it sure if fun. I had test drove both the automatic and the manual and I would recommend the manual over the automatic.

Good for the price
By Spoiler45 on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When it comes to price, you really cant beat the 2DR Coupe. Very comfortable on the inside, not bad on the outside. Fuel economy is what it should be for a car like this. Satisfactory leg room. Very reliable, no problems to date.

Junk the rolls
By rich o on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

1994 cheapest model. 115K now. Survive all that time with only tires and brake changes (& oil / filter / air filter / car wash / once a year with inspection). Now it has a starting issue; some electronic module; hell, if it costs <400, that's a gamble of 1 months payment of a $20K car. It's not sporty, but it rolls.

2002 Cavalier LS
By alrosu on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good. I've had 2 oil changes so far, one at the dealer and another at a local place in town, and both have overfilled my oil by at least 1/2 a quart.