2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
A good value in an inexpensive car.
By Cavalier Driver on 04/02/07 09:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Our Cavalier has been very reliable and inexpensive to own. The only significant repair we have had to make, beyond routine maintenance, was the replacement of the fuel pump at about 80,000 miles. Even though I now work for a new car dealership of another make of cars, I have to say that our Cavalier was a good purchase for us.

Horrible
By nick on 03/28/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $8000 with about 61,000. I got ripped off with the price due to the fact that I am young and my first car. When I first got the car I loved it, no problems at all for the first 3 months. Then, the worst happened. I needed a new battery, new headlights, which are still to this day 2 different shades. the dashboard is loose, dealership said they fixed it, never did. New brakes. The mileage on the car started flashing at about 65000 mi. I'm hearing rattling sounds from the front end of the car. This is just about the worst car anyone could ever purchase. No wonder why they discounitued the Cavalier. I'm surprised it took this long to discontinue.

Good Basic Transportation
By Matt on 02/26/07 11:26 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Relable and smooth running subcompact. Only complaint is the dashboard warps and cracks too easily. Other than that, a very low maintenance car.

Midnight
By cwilson179 on 01/28/07 20:46 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car on January 29, 2004. It has been the best car I have ever had! It is dark blue metallic. My car is 5 years old now. It still runs like new. I have taken care of my car very well. I always get compliments about how good of condition that my car is. Everyone loves the color of the car including me! The 2.2 ecotec so far is a very good engine I now have 82,000 miles on my car. I don't have any problem with the comfort with the interior of the car. I drive this car at least 40 miles per day mostly highway driving. It gets the same great gas mileage that I got the day that I got it! It gets between 30 and 32 mpg. I would not trade this car for anything.

Not a bad car at all, at least for me
By p DuB on 01/15/07 02:31 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier standard black coupe in November 2006. I like this car because it hasn't given me any problems yet. I hear very good and bad things about this car all the time, I don't really know who to believe. But, all I can say is that I own the standard 2002 coupe model with about 58,000 miles on it and it runs great. I've had this car for about 2 months now and haven't had any problems yet, but from what I have been hearing and reading about this car, I'm ready for the worst that can happen with it. I haven't changed the oil or anything on it yet, but I will very soon. Overall, it's very reliable for a nice every day car for driving for fun, to work, or to school.

Get what you pay for
By Gabe on 01/14/07 07:54 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm still driving my Cavalier and I have to say that it's not too bad considering the price. Obviously it's one of the more inexpensive cars out there, so expect what you pay for. The key phrase here is "preventative maintenance." As long as you get regular oil changes and check-ups, the Cavalier will hold up. Will say that it seems to run into problems on very wet days, especially when running through puddles. Not too enamored with the crash ratings but, again, you get what you pay for. Couple of expensive repairs but confident they are isolated incidents and don't affect the overall dependability of the Cavalier. Remember, it's a cheap car. Don't expect a Porsche out of it.

Good starter car
By Erica on 07/30/06 08:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like the sporty look of the outside and the ease of driving it. However, the seats could be more comfortable and the alloy rims are very expensive to replace. It has the basic features I need and is a good starter car.

Great Vehicle
By Mike C on 01/03/06 17:13 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A near perfect car with outstanding handling, good fuel ecomomy (30+), and very comfortable. I am very satisfied with my Z24. Your web site is incorrect when it states that all of these have 5-speed manual transmissions. Mine has a four-speed automatic transmission with traction control. That is not available with the 5-speed manual and does make a substantial difference in value. I am a professional used car and truck buyer that attends auto auctions weekly. I am very familiar with the actual wholesale and retail values. Your site is does not contain realistic values for many of the vehicles I researched on it.

A Great Car For the Money
By Matt on 12/22/05 23:49 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with just 55K and so far it needed nothing and is holding up quite well. The little 2.2 is more powerful than you would think and the transmission is smooth. Fuel economy is an average of 35-40 MPG. The AC and heater are strong and the CD/cassette player has great sound and is RDS equipped. The interior while well designed is full of cheap plastic but its still holding up well. The seats are comfortable but look and feel cheap. Interior room is not bad for a small car.

I was satisfied...
By Martin on 11/27/05 22:22 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2 door Cavalier w/manual transmision in 2002 as replacement for lease of the same brand and make. I drive anually about 30000 miles and that car did all the hard work for me. I properly maintained; changed oil every 3K to 4K miles plus all the required maintenance. However I have to admit that car is loud, not comfortable, not even sporty - thank to decade old body and engine design, but it will do a run for you if you need. It has never let me down or broken on me even after 97 200 miles that I drove on it. I hope that new owner will like it because I just recently trade it for Honda. Good luck and many miles without problems.