Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Great Car
By TUowl05

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 2 door LS sport in July of 2003 with 5k miles on it. It was a great car that was extremely reliable and relatively fun to drive. I only had to replace the driver's side window motor as that went out at about 35k miles. Other than that the car was flawless. My only complaint was the paint is pretty crappy. You could scratch it with your fingernail. Despite waxing it reguraly nicks and scratches always seemed to pop up. I recently traded it in on an '06 Saab 9- 3 but even with the step up I still miss my Cavalier. It was a great little car during my college years. It had 55,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and was pleased with the $5k trade in I got for it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, sunroof, quality audio system, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better paint. Original tires lasted about 25k miles. My interior didn't rattle too bad but I could tell it was going to soon.

Nice car!!
By jerry

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used for $7,995. I love it. It is an all around great car. Stiff sporty suspension, and a smooth highway drive. Looks and rides like a true sports car. I have the rare chrome stock wheels. It is bright red. It's a head turner. Not a bad built car. The 2.2 eco tech is the way to go I have heard nothing but bad thing about the 2.4 Z24 plus the body looks better. I strapped a z24 factory sign on there just to be cool

Favorite Features

Radio, beefed up suspension. Chrome factory 16's, deep bucket back seats..

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower.. but for great gas mileage I'll take it!

A good value in an inexpensive car.
By Cavalier Driver

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Our Cavalier has been very reliable and inexpensive to own. The only significant repair we have had to make, beyond routine maintenance, was the replacement of the fuel pump at about 80,000 miles. Even though I now work for a new car dealership of another make of cars, I have to say that our Cavalier was a good purchase for us.

Favorite Features

Our favorite features are the low cost to own and drive and the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

You'd think after driving this car for 116,000 miles that I could think of more suggestions. The only thing that really comes to mind is: Make the fuel pump less expensive to replace.

Horrible
By nick

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $8000 with about 61,000. I got ripped off with the price due to the fact that I am young and my first car. When I first got the car I loved it, no problems at all for the first 3 months. Then, the worst happened. I needed a new battery, new headlights, which are still to this day 2 different shades. the dashboard is loose, dealership said they fixed it, never did. New brakes. The mileage on the car started flashing at about 65000 mi. I'm hearing rattling sounds from the front end of the car. This is just about the worst car anyone could ever purchase. No wonder why they discounitued the Cavalier. I'm surprised it took this long to discontinue.

Favorite Features

The sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Better interior quailty. Looks cheap. Needs a modern look.

Not a bad car at all, at least for me
By p DuB

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier standard black coupe in November 2006. I like this car because it hasn't given me any problems yet. I hear very good and bad things about this car all the time, I don't really know who to believe. But, all I can say is that I own the standard 2002 coupe model with about 58,000 miles on it and it runs great. I've had this car for about 2 months now and haven't had any problems yet, but from what I have been hearing and reading about this car, I'm ready for the worst that can happen with it. I haven't changed the oil or anything on it yet, but I will very soon. Overall, it's very reliable for a nice every day car for driving for fun, to work, or to school.

Favorite Features

I like the handling, power steering, how my aftermarket audio equipment installed fits nicely, (Subwoofers, Amplifiers, Speakers, Headunit), and especially the great gas mileage and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Well GM could of at least put power locks and windows on all the Cavalier models and not just the LS or Z24 models. It's really a pain that every time I have to get out of my car I have to check the doors on each side of my coupe to make sure that they are locked and to make sure the windows are up.