Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Fantastic little car. GM girl for life
By Amy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After having a baby in 2001, I was beginning to feel way too momish. I missed having a small sporty car and purchased this car new in March 2002. Loved the car from the very start, very comfortable and roomy interior ( rear-facing car seat fits easily in and out of the back seat), great handling, and quick/zippy performance from the 2.2L Ecotec engine. Unfortunately, I have a tendancy to drive my cars extremely hard and often forget about routine preventative maintenance (like oil). Oil was changed maybe 5 times. My engine siezed in April 2007 at 83K miles. I have since replaced the engine with a 2005 2.2L Ecotectand now running great. Even at 5 yrs old the interior looks almost like new.

Chrome alloy wheels, trunk lid spoiler, ground effects, and fog lights give this car a great sporty appearance.

Quicker power windows. GMs are notorious for having painfully slow power windows (when rolling up).

Great Car
By TUowl05

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 2 door LS sport in July of 2003 with 5k miles on it. It was a great car that was extremely reliable and relatively fun to drive. I only had to replace the driver's side window motor as that went out at about 35k miles. Other than that the car was flawless. My only complaint was the paint is pretty crappy. You could scratch it with your fingernail. Despite waxing it reguraly nicks and scratches always seemed to pop up. I recently traded it in on an '06 Saab 9- 3 but even with the step up I still miss my Cavalier. It was a great little car during my college years. It had 55,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and was pleased with the $5k trade in I got for it.

Gas mileage, sunroof, quality audio system, reliability

Better paint. Original tires lasted about 25k miles. My interior didn't rattle too bad but I could tell it was going to soon.

Nice car!!
By jerry

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used for $7,995. I love it. It is an all around great car. Stiff sporty suspension, and a smooth highway drive. Looks and rides like a true sports car. I have the rare chrome stock wheels. It is bright red. It's a head turner. Not a bad built car. The 2.2 eco tech is the way to go I have heard nothing but bad thing about the 2.4 Z24 plus the body looks better. I strapped a z24 factory sign on there just to be cool

Radio, beefed up suspension. Chrome factory 16's, deep bucket back seats..

More horsepower.. but for great gas mileage I'll take it!

A good value in an inexpensive car.
By Cavalier Driver

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Our Cavalier has been very reliable and inexpensive to own. The only significant repair we have had to make, beyond routine maintenance, was the replacement of the fuel pump at about 80,000 miles. Even though I now work for a new car dealership of another make of cars, I have to say that our Cavalier was a good purchase for us.

Our favorite features are the low cost to own and drive and the reliability.

You'd think after driving this car for 116,000 miles that I could think of more suggestions. The only thing that really comes to mind is: Make the fuel pump less expensive to replace.

Horrible
By nick

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $8000 with about 61,000. I got ripped off with the price due to the fact that I am young and my first car. When I first got the car I loved it, no problems at all for the first 3 months. Then, the worst happened. I needed a new battery, new headlights, which are still to this day 2 different shades. the dashboard is loose, dealership said they fixed it, never did. New brakes. The mileage on the car started flashing at about 65000 mi. I'm hearing rattling sounds from the front end of the car. This is just about the worst car anyone could ever purchase. No wonder why they discounitued the Cavalier. I'm surprised it took this long to discontinue.

The sunroof

Better interior quailty. Looks cheap. Needs a modern look.