Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Great gas mileage!
By Sassycat

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving our SUV to work everyday and got the Cavalier to save on gas. I love this car. It's cute, reliable and definitely performs in the mileage-saving area. On the open road I've gotten 40-mpg! I've driven this car solo across the country a number of times and have had no problems. It has about 80,000 miles on it but the interior and exterior still look new after a wash & wax. Had a clogged fuel line that caused problems last year but that has been fixed. A strut bearing needs attention, apparently that's a typical problem, annoying but not critical.

Sporty appearance, large trunk and split back seat that lowers to haul long items, fun to drive, reliable, handles well even in snow.

The only thing that annoys me is that I should have gotten power windows. The factory floor mats tend to curl and I'd like larger sun visors.

02 Cavy base coupe
By seanyboi142

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car so much. It's got a little power to it (110 hp base model). It's not so good when accelerating with the AC on it puts a drag on the engine. I took it back to a Chevy dealership twice. The first time I took it back because I got tired of the base engine and ordered a LS sport engine which was much needed for power (140 hp engine). Well my engine light came after I had the car for about 2 or 3 weeks. Turns out someone put some of the parts in wrong. Well that's it. It's a great car.

The new engine. The aerodynamics and the lower ride height(about 4 inches off the ground)

Standard horsepower. Hubcaps they are really squeaky when you hit bumps or even just drive the car. Better radio deck and CD player. It is only a one disk CD player which stinks. And a better spolier it seems to be just sheet metal and really weak.

worst car ever
By *

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cd player doesn't work. The stick is hard to move and sometimes doesn't go into park and has to be shoved. Dashboard rattles. Mileage does not show up half of the time. Passenger side window does not go up, therefore it never goes down. Air conditioner wires cracked. I'm sure I'm forgetting things but I just can't remember everything wrong with this car. This is the worst car known to mankind, probably getting rid of it during the summer.

favorite features? not on this car.

I don't know where to begin, but the car is not longer in production, Wonder why?

Good little road rocket
By bert

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought as a short commute vehicle, never a major problem. Taken on a few long road trips. Always faithfully maintained due to low mileage/time ratio. One window motor failed, replaced via warranty. Brakes at 25000, good mileage considering short city daily drive, and multiple stops per mile driven. Never any problems, mileage decent, wasnt bought as an economy car. This little vehicle with the dual overhead cams will perform, and looks nice too. The traction control/anti-locks work very well in a Chicago area winter. I have found no faults with it.

No problem running at higher speed interstate traffic in a quiet, comfortable way. It will also surprise cars costing triple the price on a twisting country two lane.

Not required. The car isn't made anymore

Fantastic little car. GM girl for life
By Amy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After having a baby in 2001, I was beginning to feel way too momish. I missed having a small sporty car and purchased this car new in March 2002. Loved the car from the very start, very comfortable and roomy interior ( rear-facing car seat fits easily in and out of the back seat), great handling, and quick/zippy performance from the 2.2L Ecotec engine. Unfortunately, I have a tendancy to drive my cars extremely hard and often forget about routine preventative maintenance (like oil). Oil was changed maybe 5 times. My engine siezed in April 2007 at 83K miles. I have since replaced the engine with a 2005 2.2L Ecotectand now running great. Even at 5 yrs old the interior looks almost like new.

Chrome alloy wheels, trunk lid spoiler, ground effects, and fog lights give this car a great sporty appearance.

Quicker power windows. GMs are notorious for having painfully slow power windows (when rolling up).