2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
worst car ever
By * on 04/21/08 20:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cd player doesn't work. The stick is hard to move and sometimes doesn't go into park and has to be shoved. Dashboard rattles. Mileage does not show up half of the time. Passenger side window does not go up, therefore it never goes down. Air conditioner wires cracked. I'm sure I'm forgetting things but I just can't remember everything wrong with this car. This is the worst car known to mankind, probably getting rid of it during the summer.

Good little road rocket
By bert on 03/15/08 00:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought as a short commute vehicle, never a major problem. Taken on a few long road trips. Always faithfully maintained due to low mileage/time ratio. One window motor failed, replaced via warranty. Brakes at 25000, good mileage considering short city daily drive, and multiple stops per mile driven. Never any problems, mileage decent, wasnt bought as an economy car. This little vehicle with the dual overhead cams will perform, and looks nice too. The traction control/anti-locks work very well in a Chicago area winter. I have found no faults with it.

Fantastic little car. GM girl for life
By Amy on 08/13/07 06:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After having a baby in 2001, I was beginning to feel way too momish. I missed having a small sporty car and purchased this car new in March 2002. Loved the car from the very start, very comfortable and roomy interior ( rear-facing car seat fits easily in and out of the back seat), great handling, and quick/zippy performance from the 2.2L Ecotec engine. Unfortunately, I have a tendancy to drive my cars extremely hard and often forget about routine preventative maintenance (like oil). Oil was changed maybe 5 times. My engine siezed in April 2007 at 83K miles. I have since replaced the engine with a 2005 2.2L Ecotectand now running great. Even at 5 yrs old the interior looks almost like new.

Great Car
By TUowl05 on 07/31/07 18:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 2 door LS sport in July of 2003 with 5k miles on it. It was a great car that was extremely reliable and relatively fun to drive. I only had to replace the driver's side window motor as that went out at about 35k miles. Other than that the car was flawless. My only complaint was the paint is pretty crappy. You could scratch it with your fingernail. Despite waxing it reguraly nicks and scratches always seemed to pop up. I recently traded it in on an '06 Saab 9- 3 but even with the step up I still miss my Cavalier. It was a great little car during my college years. It had 55,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and was pleased with the $5k trade in I got for it.

Nice car!!
By jerry on 04/05/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used for $7,995. I love it. It is an all around great car. Stiff sporty suspension, and a smooth highway drive. Looks and rides like a true sports car. I have the rare chrome stock wheels. It is bright red. It's a head turner. Not a bad built car. The 2.2 eco tech is the way to go I have heard nothing but bad thing about the 2.4 Z24 plus the body looks better. I strapped a z24 factory sign on there just to be cool

A good value in an inexpensive car.
By Cavalier Driver on 04/02/07 09:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Our Cavalier has been very reliable and inexpensive to own. The only significant repair we have had to make, beyond routine maintenance, was the replacement of the fuel pump at about 80,000 miles. Even though I now work for a new car dealership of another make of cars, I have to say that our Cavalier was a good purchase for us.

Horrible
By nick on 03/28/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $8000 with about 61,000. I got ripped off with the price due to the fact that I am young and my first car. When I first got the car I loved it, no problems at all for the first 3 months. Then, the worst happened. I needed a new battery, new headlights, which are still to this day 2 different shades. the dashboard is loose, dealership said they fixed it, never did. New brakes. The mileage on the car started flashing at about 65000 mi. I'm hearing rattling sounds from the front end of the car. This is just about the worst car anyone could ever purchase. No wonder why they discounitued the Cavalier. I'm surprised it took this long to discontinue.

Not a bad car at all, at least for me
By p DuB on 01/15/07 02:31 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier standard black coupe in November 2006. I like this car because it hasn't given me any problems yet. I hear very good and bad things about this car all the time, I don't really know who to believe. But, all I can say is that I own the standard 2002 coupe model with about 58,000 miles on it and it runs great. I've had this car for about 2 months now and haven't had any problems yet, but from what I have been hearing and reading about this car, I'm ready for the worst that can happen with it. I haven't changed the oil or anything on it yet, but I will very soon. Overall, it's very reliable for a nice every day car for driving for fun, to work, or to school.

Get what you pay for
By Gabe on 01/14/07 07:54 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm still driving my Cavalier and I have to say that it's not too bad considering the price. Obviously it's one of the more inexpensive cars out there, so expect what you pay for. The key phrase here is "preventative maintenance." As long as you get regular oil changes and check-ups, the Cavalier will hold up. Will say that it seems to run into problems on very wet days, especially when running through puddles. Not too enamored with the crash ratings but, again, you get what you pay for. Couple of expensive repairs but confident they are isolated incidents and don't affect the overall dependability of the Cavalier. Remember, it's a cheap car. Don't expect a Porsche out of it.

I was satisfied...
By Martin on 11/27/05 22:22 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2 door Cavalier w/manual transmision in 2002 as replacement for lease of the same brand and make. I drive anually about 30000 miles and that car did all the hard work for me. I properly maintained; changed oil every 3K to 4K miles plus all the required maintenance. However I have to admit that car is loud, not comfortable, not even sporty - thank to decade old body and engine design, but it will do a run for you if you need. It has never let me down or broken on me even after 97 200 miles that I drove on it. I hope that new owner will like it because I just recently trade it for Honda. Good luck and many miles without problems.