2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Good, but not safe
By 02Cavvy on 06/18/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 w/22K miles. I wrecked it just recently due to someone pulling out in front of me. I hit the other car doing 40 mph and it totaled my car. The frame was warped, windshield cracked, engine shoved back, but still able to go 5 mph to move it. I've had to replace the back left speed sensor (whole brake drum, great planning Chevy - not.) I had the engine mounts go bad, O2 sensor, etc. I had to replace the front bumper pieces and that was around $500 just for parts. Poor build quality, I had panels gaping in one spot and pressed tightly in others. It's a good car if you want good gas mileage and something reliable in winter. Don't wreck you'll be seriously injured.

I owned 3 cavaliers
By Michael on 05/24/10 14:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The door locks rusted out twice (what's with that?) No rust anywhere else on the car. It runs great. Does not burn oil. The battery died after 8 years. I replace the blower motor at 80kkm. It slowly lost its speed until it only had high speed. I still have the car and will probably have it for many years to come.

Nice little car
By Cole Lutz on 04/30/10 07:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i like my cavalier. it's a fun little car to drive, easy to do upgrades to. i recently supercharged my cavvy from a 2001 Chevy cobalt ss, it picks up and goes. i like how it looks and it's a fun little car. The only bad thing is that it dents really easy! thats the only con. drives really nice. i also have a aem short ram intake on it to. fun car

2002 z24
By ANAKIN50 on 04/05/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

excellent vehicle. the only bad things about it: dash parts (cracks with the sun light too fast), and the original paint job its too poor. but i love my z24.

2200 SFI
By 2200sfi on 03/25/10 19:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 Cavalier Base Sedan it has the 2.2 liter ohv engine. I love the low end torque rather have ohv than the dohc. I got it June of 07 it is my first car it had 52k when I bought it now has 110k today is march 25 of 2010. I average 34 mpg. Only thing was is this past Christmas the fuel pump died other than that it is perfect. I have modified it a bit I installed a flowmaster delta 40 muffler and converted the stock intake into a cold air intake which has helped economy and performance plus the muffler gives the car a good sound. I will own it till it dies which looks like a long time.

Fun to drive, very reliable.
By Daystrom on 03/06/10 21:04 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier new in March 2002. Still gets great gas mileage even after eight years. Smooth and quite. Handles nicely. Lots of storage. Back seat folds down so you can store long items through the trunk and along the back seat. Only problem have been the power windows. Replaced the front driver side window motor after three years. It has been working fine for the last five years. Now the two back windows are now starting stick. Which is strange, since I don't open them much. Still a great car!

awesome lil 4 cyl car
By Eli on 01/27/10 13:49 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car (2.2L) it has manual options,cloth seats,4 doors car is great on gas mileage, very comfortable, fun to drive... its got 138 *** miles i replaced the alternator-battery at 136000 which i think is not bad after owning this car for 9 years... and it can get 38 mpg on the Hwy

Cursed from the start!
By moseschrute on 12/15/09 08:19 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this to replace my 2000 4 door Cavalier that was totaled in a side impact crash. This car was built at Lordstown assembly; recalled 2x due to faulty wiring in the steering column (Potential for wires to melt & cause a fire). Dealership says problem was fixed, but I've found burnt wires near the gas pedal, the lights by the gear shift have burnt out, horn replaced many times, but constantly burns out (driving hornless since May-REAL safe), can`t install car starter b/c wiring unsafe, REALLY loud drive, constant rattling/squeaking, no power steering, cracked dash, heat/ac only works on full blast, ABS brakes GROAN & slow response time in snow/wet weather; only $500 trade-in value

Ok car
By Crunched on 10/03/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2002. Great economy. Never failed in any way. Only work other than oil changes were brakes and tires. Poorly designed rear seat. Had to keep kids in booster seats due to the dip in the back seats. Also seats were made of cinder blocks. Loved the car till it was totaled in a 25-35 mph accident. Barely escaped severe injury.

glad they dont make them anymore
By mart on 07/03/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

at 47000 miles head gasket,water pump.thermostat had to be replaced.at 55000 miles fuel pump had to be replaced,located inside of fuel tank,oil filter is in a bad location,air conditioner has stop working.when car does run it runs good and get good gas mileage.