Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great car!
By Tomas P. on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm more than satisfied with this car. It's just a car, without any unnecessary think.

Cavalier "The Best"
By car man on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great performance, very comfortable, lots of leg room

Mixed Feelings on the 2002 Z24
By weethecherokee on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Went from a '98 Ford Contour Sport to a '02 Z24 Sedan. Right away the poor quality of the interior was appearant. It is really plain. Road noise is pretty bad. Have had the car in the shop 4 times in 6 months. 1st time was the second week of ownership. The car is peppy compared to the contour, but the ride and handling pale in comparison. Not sure how the car will hold up over the long haul. Got the ext warranty to 75,000 just in case. The car has a nice sporty look from the outside. Also, the gas milage stinks for a 4 cyl!!! About 16-20 city & 23-26 hwy. I think the brakes will need to be replaced soon, after only 10k, they are getting soft.

Real world...
By john1428 on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Haven't owned it long enough for eval, but had one for 10 years and 140,000 trouble free miles, and this one is much better in initial quality. This is a great day-to-day commuter car, does a better job of providing real-world transportation than my last car, which cost $10,000 more. Outstanding deal with rebate, lots of car for the money, great looks.

good bang for the buck
By unwarranted on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a year ago. It's actually a 2001 Z24. At first I was a little upset that I bought this car instead of a Honda Civic. If it wasn't for this car's poor resale value it would be ideal. If you plan on keeping this car to its end then it's perfect. The acceleration and performance is much better than a Civic. The Civic I found hardly had any pep to it. The ride quality is a litte noisier than a Civic. My wife's corolla seems like a better ride than this, but I got the stick in the Z24 and it sure if fun. I had test drove both the automatic and the manual and I would recommend the manual over the automatic.

Well, you get what you paid for....
By Violette on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Yes I will be zipping around but I've had my problems. The car has already had the computer replaced, about 3,000 miles ago, that dealership at FL-GA border - do not recommend - took 6 hours to locate a rental and was given "tips" by others who got their car in record speed. My dealership, however explains well and is very friendly/helpful, even though they can't find the "new" problem yet.

Good for the price
By Spoiler45 on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When it comes to price, you really cant beat the 2DR Coupe. Very comfortable on the inside, not bad on the outside. Fuel economy is what it should be for a car like this. Satisfactory leg room. Very reliable, no problems to date.

Ups and Downs
By Amoore on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Wow my car is a month old, and well Its been in the shop for 2 weeks of the month I have owned it, this is not looking good. It had no problems in the first 200 miles, but after that, the transmission has been torn apart twice now to get things fixed, Valves and things I have never heard of. If you get lucky and have no problems enjoy it.

Junk the rolls
By rich o on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

1994 cheapest model. 115K now. Survive all that time with only tires and brake changes (& oil / filter / air filter / car wash / once a year with inspection). Now it has a starting issue; some electronic module; hell, if it costs <400, that's a gamble of 1 months payment of a $20K car. It's not sporty, but it rolls.

2002 Cavalier LS
By alrosu on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good. I've had 2 oil changes so far, one at the dealer and another at a local place in town, and both have overfilled my oil by at least 1/2 a quart.