Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

A Great Car For the Money
By Matt

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with just 55K and so far it needed nothing and is holding up quite well. The little 2.2 is more powerful than you would think and the transmission is smooth. Fuel economy is an average of 35-40 MPG. The AC and heater are strong and the CD/cassette player has great sound and is RDS equipped. The interior while well designed is full of cheap plastic but its still holding up well. The seats are comfortable but look and feel cheap. Interior room is not bad for a small car.

Economical, peppy engine. Smooth transmission. Awsome Stereo System. Interior room. Trunk release not located in glove box like older Cavaliers. Traction control.

Bring back the 3.1 V6. Trunk roomy enough but the opening is small. Better quality interior materials and seats. Traction control should have a shut off feature besides shifting it into 1st or 2nd.

I was satisfied...
By Martin

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2 door Cavalier w/manual transmision in 2002 as replacement for lease of the same brand and make. I drive anually about 30000 miles and that car did all the hard work for me. I properly maintained; changed oil every 3K to 4K miles plus all the required maintenance. However I have to admit that car is loud, not comfortable, not even sporty - thank to decade old body and engine design, but it will do a run for you if you need. It has never let me down or broken on me even after 97 200 miles that I drove on it. I hope that new owner will like it because I just recently trade it for Honda. Good luck and many miles without problems.

Power of engine. Car is not sporty but it will do the job no matter how rough you are on it. Just change oil and properly maintain it and it will be there for you. ABS, A/C, remote access+trunk release...

Design, get rid off the hard plastic and improve engine. 2.2L engine with only 115HP is not that great. GM stop liquidate value of your cars by selling new cars over priced. Mine cost 3 years ago 13K and trade it in for 3.4K...it is 80% less than original value after 3 years and 4 months.

Totally inferior product
By dan-o

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've never owned a GM product, and based on this purchase, I never will again. At 45K miles, the dash panels are coming apart, rattling, & squeaking. Annoying squeaking has developed in the front suspension, and a disconcerting grinding noise is coming from the engine compartment at startup. I found a gap between the interior roof liner and the door edge that I can fit my finger through. What a disappointing example of American auto manufacturing. I'm going to sell it, get a Honda, and not feel one bit of sorrow for GM's current troubles.

None.

Haphazard build quality at GM needs to be eliminated in order for the brand to survive. Consumers do not need to put up with this kind of subpar product when there are so many other good choices out there.

Very Crude
By 351M

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a month ago and have put 2000Km on it in that time, it had 64,000Km on it when I bought it. In that time, it sounds like a wheel is loose when I use the brakes, the trans seems way too low geared as well. Road and intake noise is really bad, the muffler broke apart inside, and the stock sound system is junk. The power isn't bad (2200 OHC 5 speed) I personally think my Lada Nivas are better built and more reliable vehicles, fun to drive factor is better as well. The Cobalt is definitely a better car but also with them the handling gose out the window at highway speeds.

Power trunk release.

These cars need the 3100 SFI V6 with a 5 speed, and better sound deadening. The other BIG thing is the the radio, what a joke. GM needs to get back into the '82-96 A-body type quality, at least you could rely on those cars.

Good Car!
By Robert

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was worried that my car would be a poor choice with all of the poor reviews from consumer reports, but the price was affordable so I got it. This car has been great! Good gas mileage 34mpg avg., never has given me a single problem. Other than styling, I would recommend this car to anyone.

Reliability, gas mileage