Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

The best $5500 I ever spent
By joebloe1

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2002 4 speed auto with 60K on the clock in 2007. It now has 147K. It has been absolutely reliable with routine maintenance. With a set of Pirelli tires it handles great on our curvy roads. We average about 30MPG. Minor problems with outside mirror, sun visor and cracked dash. Apparently due to poor choice of materials, workmanship or design. The odometer works intermittently. There is apparently a bad connection. When you bang on the instrument cluster it works. The seats are really uncomfortable after a couple of hours. This is an inexpensive car that is very reliable. I expect to get well over 200K miles. If they still made them I would buy another.

Favorite Features

Handles great Good gas mileage Reliable Inexpensive

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of injection molded parts. Fix the instrument cluster The seats are torture devices soften them up a little Address the door seals, there is too much wind noise Add a dip stick to the automatic transmission. I refuse to believe that you do not have to check the fluid level on a routine basis. Relocate the oil filter. Having to jack up the car and remove the wheel to change the filter indicates poor engineering. Lose the air dam. The ground clearance is so limited mine was ripped off when I hit a bump.

Super Great Car
By Gracie

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved this car. Although it isn't fancy, it has done me well. I haven't any major issues with it. I did have to replace two of the power window motors, the starter and the water pump, but all together less than 500.00 in almost 5 years. Never had any sign of trouble, and it always gets me to where I need to go. I have taken it on several 1000+ miles trips with no problems.

Favorite Features

MPG, and the power features.

Suggested Improvements

Power window motors were made a bit cheaply.

2002 Cavalier LT Sedan
By C,Diddy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is unspectacular. The ride quality and performance is below average. But,I love it for being extremely reliable and cheap to operate. Good on gas and oil. A.C. only works 100% when vehicle is moving. ABS and traction control light goes off and on, and I have a strut in the front that needs to be changed. But, like I said, RELIABLE and CHEAP! I have 103,000 km on mine, and I have no doubt it will last for as long as I need it to.

Favorite Features

Efficient on gas and oil

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are placed directly in front of the heating and cooling controls.

I owned 3 cavaliers
By Michael

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The door locks rusted out twice (what's with that?) No rust anywhere else on the car. It runs great. Does not burn oil. The battery died after 8 years. I replace the blower motor at 80kkm. It slowly lost its speed until it only had high speed. I still have the car and will probably have it for many years to come.

Favorite Features

Okay car. Make them again and I will buy a new one.

Suggested Improvements

Sun visor could line up with passenger one. There is a gap that lets the sun in.

Fun to drive, very reliable.
By Daystrom

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier new in March 2002. Still gets great gas mileage even after eight years. Smooth and quite. Handles nicely. Lots of storage. Back seat folds down so you can store long items through the trunk and along the back seat. Only problem have been the power windows. Replaced the front driver side window motor after three years. It has been working fine for the last five years. Now the two back windows are now starting stick. Which is strange, since I don't open them much. Still a great car!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. The power window controls centered between the front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows motors.