2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
This Car Will Not Die
By smk92 on 07/25/14 17:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 14 months ago for 1500 dollars. It had 273,000 km on it and the only major thing that had been replaced by that point was the water pump (I know cuz it was my sisters). It now has 312,000 km on it and still running like a charm. I am now replacing the fuel pump because it just went but for a car with 312,000 I can't complain. I love this car to death and I will drive it until it dies. In the last 14 months I have spent maybe 300 dollars on it for minor repairs (sensors etc.)

318,000 with 2 repairs
By roadwarrior13 on 06/23/14 07:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Finally totalled on NJTPK in multi-vehicle pile-up with 318,000+ miles, only 2 real repairs ever = water pump, alternator. Other = 1 wheel bearing & exhaust. Change oil regularly & do very little else... looking for another one :)

Best car!
By kad44664127 on 06/17/13 12:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2012 for $1500 with 83000 miles on it and crank windows. started every single day without a problem. during a snowstorm i slid on some ice and hit another vehicle. got it fixed with parts from the junkyard and worked like new again. then i got bundle with an acura mdx hit a telephone pole and it got totalled. when i saw it for the first time after i expected it to look worse by the size of the car that hit me but it didnt look as bad as i would expect it to. was great on gas and cheap to fix. i loved that car as my first car and never really had to do any major mechanical work other than the accident. had 97000 miles when it did. i would buy it again no question.

The best $5500 I ever spent
By joebloe1 on 05/23/13 12:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2002 4 speed auto with 60K on the clock in 2007. It now has 147K. It has been absolutely reliable with routine maintenance. With a set of Pirelli tires it handles great on our curvy roads. We average about 30MPG. Minor problems with outside mirror, sun visor and cracked dash. Apparently due to poor choice of materials, workmanship or design. The odometer works intermittently. There is apparently a bad connection. When you bang on the instrument cluster it works. The seats are really uncomfortable after a couple of hours. This is an inexpensive car that is very reliable. I expect to get well over 200K miles. If they still made them I would buy another.

Average at best
By cav_rider666 on 06/04/12 10:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Cavalier for six years now and the car has treated me well. The interior is roomy and comfortable, however the build quality is terrible and I have a nice crack that formed on top of the dash. The handling is ok if you drive sensibly, but the Cavalier isn't a blast to drive. It will do the trick to get you from A to B but you won't have much fun in the process. The 2.2L OHV engine is reliable and relatively cheap on gas, but don't expect the same level of performance or sophistication as the japanese brands. Overal the Cavalier was a good car for the price paid but there are far better cars out there.

Never trust this car!
By lenoram on 02/05/11 02:38 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 cavalier. I bought this car with 5k miles. Within 6 months of ownership my starter went out. Thank God for warranty. After my starter was fixed more problems arised. I want to say I bought a used car. Electrical problems, broken trunk, broken sunviser, problems with my headlights, seat belt broken, and other problems under the hood. I HATE this car.

Super Great Car
By Gracie on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved this car. Although it isn't fancy, it has done me well. I haven't any major issues with it. I did have to replace two of the power window motors, the starter and the water pump, but all together less than 500.00 in almost 5 years. Never had any sign of trouble, and it always gets me to where I need to go. I have taken it on several 1000+ miles trips with no problems.

2002 Cavalier LT Sedan
By C,Diddy on 08/12/10 22:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is unspectacular. The ride quality and performance is below average. But,I love it for being extremely reliable and cheap to operate. Good on gas and oil. A.C. only works 100% when vehicle is moving. ABS and traction control light goes off and on, and I have a strut in the front that needs to be changed. But, like I said, RELIABLE and CHEAP! I have 103,000 km on mine, and I have no doubt it will last for as long as I need it to.

I owned 3 cavaliers
By Michael on 05/24/10 14:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The door locks rusted out twice (what's with that?) No rust anywhere else on the car. It runs great. Does not burn oil. The battery died after 8 years. I replace the blower motor at 80kkm. It slowly lost its speed until it only had high speed. I still have the car and will probably have it for many years to come.

2200 SFI
By 2200sfi on 03/25/10 19:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 Cavalier Base Sedan it has the 2.2 liter ohv engine. I love the low end torque rather have ohv than the dohc. I got it June of 07 it is my first car it had 52k when I bought it now has 110k today is march 25 of 2010. I average 34 mpg. Only thing was is this past Christmas the fuel pump died other than that it is perfect. I have modified it a bit I installed a flowmaster delta 40 muffler and converted the stock intake into a cold air intake which has helped economy and performance plus the muffler gives the car a good sound. I will own it till it dies which looks like a long time.