2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Amazing Automobile, 9 years later...
By michael on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this brand new off the lot in 2001 and every mile on it is mine. 156,000 miles later, and I am thinking I will keep it for two more years and hope Chevy puts a gutsy engine in a Cruze SS. 150 HP and 150 lb/ft of torque make it fun to drive. Mileage is amazing - 32 mpg still! Bottom of doors and some other rust had to be treated, but such a reliable performer I am happy to do it. I am sold on Chevy for creating such an amazing car and engine. Does so much so well, and only cost me $16,000 new and fully loaded. Does go through wheel bearings, replaced window motors like everyone else, but again, is so good it's worth it.

Love it!
By Jduval on 06/21/10 11:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 65,000 Miles on it a year ago. Since then the only problem I have had was an evap leak. Nothing too severe. I changed the stock Radio threw in some better speakers and some subs in the trunk. Car is very fun to drive with the 5 spd. Very reliable with good pep when you want it. The A/C drains power when on and I have the very common fuse that burned out on the blower motor.

Good, but not safe
By 02Cavvy on 06/18/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 w/22K miles. I wrecked it just recently due to someone pulling out in front of me. I hit the other car doing 40 mph and it totaled my car. The frame was warped, windshield cracked, engine shoved back, but still able to go 5 mph to move it. I've had to replace the back left speed sensor (whole brake drum, great planning Chevy - not.) I had the engine mounts go bad, O2 sensor, etc. I had to replace the front bumper pieces and that was around $500 just for parts. Poor build quality, I had panels gaping in one spot and pressed tightly in others. It's a good car if you want good gas mileage and something reliable in winter. Don't wreck you'll be seriously injured.

Nice little car
By Cole Lutz on 04/30/10 07:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i like my cavalier. it's a fun little car to drive, easy to do upgrades to. i recently supercharged my cavvy from a 2001 Chevy cobalt ss, it picks up and goes. i like how it looks and it's a fun little car. The only bad thing is that it dents really easy! thats the only con. drives really nice. i also have a aem short ram intake on it to. fun car

2002 z24
By ANAKIN50 on 04/05/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

excellent vehicle. the only bad things about it: dash parts (cracks with the sun light too fast), and the original paint job its too poor. but i love my z24.

Cursed from the start!
By moseschrute on 12/15/09 08:19 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this to replace my 2000 4 door Cavalier that was totaled in a side impact crash. This car was built at Lordstown assembly; recalled 2x due to faulty wiring in the steering column (Potential for wires to melt & cause a fire). Dealership says problem was fixed, but I've found burnt wires near the gas pedal, the lights by the gear shift have burnt out, horn replaced many times, but constantly burns out (driving hornless since May-REAL safe), can`t install car starter b/c wiring unsafe, REALLY loud drive, constant rattling/squeaking, no power steering, cracked dash, heat/ac only works on full blast, ABS brakes GROAN & slow response time in snow/wet weather; only $500 trade-in value

Ok car
By Crunched on 10/03/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2002. Great economy. Never failed in any way. Only work other than oil changes were brakes and tires. Poorly designed rear seat. Had to keep kids in booster seats due to the dip in the back seats. Also seats were made of cinder blocks. Loved the car till it was totaled in a 25-35 mph accident. Barely escaped severe injury.

Sad To Let Her Go!
By Maria on 05/17/09 14:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my cavalier for 8 years now it is my sec. My 1st one I was in a very bad crash with and rolled the car and I am still alive that is why I had gotten the sec one. It has been a great car for the past 8 years but after haveing 88,500 miles on her she is ready to die! I only wish gm made them last a lil longer I am sad to let her go and its very hard to find another car like this

Great gas mileage!
By Sassycat on 11/03/08 14:49 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving our SUV to work everyday and got the Cavalier to save on gas. I love this car. It's cute, reliable and definitely performs in the mileage-saving area. On the open road I've gotten 40-mpg! I've driven this car solo across the country a number of times and have had no problems. It has about 80,000 miles on it but the interior and exterior still look new after a wash & wax. Had a clogged fuel line that caused problems last year but that has been fixed. A strut bearing needs attention, apparently that's a typical problem, annoying but not critical.

02 Cavy base coupe
By seanyboi142 on 10/01/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car so much. It's got a little power to it (110 hp base model). It's not so good when accelerating with the AC on it puts a drag on the engine. I took it back to a Chevy dealership twice. The first time I took it back because I got tired of the base engine and ordered a LS sport engine which was much needed for power (140 hp engine). Well my engine light came after I had the car for about 2 or 3 weeks. Turns out someone put some of the parts in wrong. Well that's it. It's a great car.