Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Best car!
By kad44664127

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2012 for $1500 with 83000 miles on it and crank windows. started every single day without a problem. during a snowstorm i slid on some ice and hit another vehicle. got it fixed with parts from the junkyard and worked like new again. then i got bundle with an acura mdx hit a telephone pole and it got totalled. when i saw it for the first time after i expected it to look worse by the size of the car that hit me but it didnt look as bad as i would expect it to. was great on gas and cheap to fix. i loved that car as my first car and never really had to do any major mechanical work other than the accident. had 97000 miles when it did. i would buy it again no question.

Favorite Features

good gas mileage durable cheap to fix

Suggested Improvements

gas gage was a bit off always said i had more than what i actually had.

This Car Will Not Die
By smk92

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 14 months ago for 1500 dollars. It had 273,000 km on it and the only major thing that had been replaced by that point was the water pump (I know cuz it was my sisters). It now has 312,000 km on it and still running like a charm. I am now replacing the fuel pump because it just went but for a car with 312,000 I can't complain. I love this car to death and I will drive it until it dies. In the last 14 months I have spent maybe 300 dollars on it for minor repairs (sensors etc.)

Favorite Features

Love the manual transmission. Way better than automatic. This car kicks butt off the line and just drives like a dream, and has so much power for what type of car it is.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of except maybe the fact that the dashboard cracks in every single one of these cars. Haha. But thats nothing serious, like I said overall fantastic car. Good job Chevy!

318,000 with 2 repairs
By roadwarrior13

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Finally totalled on NJTPK in multi-vehicle pile-up with 318,000+ miles, only 2 real repairs ever = water pump, alternator. Other = 1 wheel bearing & exhaust. Change oil regularly & do very little else... looking for another one :)

Never trust this car!
By lenoram

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 cavalier. I bought this car with 5k miles. Within 6 months of ownership my starter went out. Thank God for warranty. After my starter was fixed more problems arised. I want to say I bought a used car. Electrical problems, broken trunk, broken sunviser, problems with my headlights, seat belt broken, and other problems under the hood. I HATE this car.

Favorite Features

There is nothing I like about this car.

Suggested Improvements

A better quality car all the way around.

Average at best
By cav_rider666

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Cavalier for six years now and the car has treated me well. The interior is roomy and comfortable, however the build quality is terrible and I have a nice crack that formed on top of the dash. The handling is ok if you drive sensibly, but the Cavalier isn't a blast to drive. It will do the trick to get you from A to B but you won't have much fun in the process. The 2.2L OHV engine is reliable and relatively cheap on gas, but don't expect the same level of performance or sophistication as the japanese brands. Overal the Cavalier was a good car for the price paid but there are far better cars out there.

Favorite Features

My 2002 VL sedan came verry well equipped. The ABS brakes and traction control are great for our rough Canadian winters. The air conditioning is ice cold and the power door locks are convinent.

Suggested Improvements

The Cavalier/Sunfires would have been good little cars if GM had improved the interior build quality. The hard plastics are cheap and age poorly, and I have many small trim peices (seat handles, window regulator handles) that have literally fallen off. The reliability of these cars is far from great. The control arm bushings, stock radio, alternator, fuel pump and exhaust all had to be replaced, totaling close to $2000 in repairs. Improved reliability would have also made these cars better choices. Finally the interior is loud. Better sound proofing would have made it more comfortable.