2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Best car!
By kad44664127 on 06/17/13 12:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2012 for $1500 with 83000 miles on it and crank windows. started every single day without a problem. during a snowstorm i slid on some ice and hit another vehicle. got it fixed with parts from the junkyard and worked like new again. then i got bundle with an acura mdx hit a telephone pole and it got totalled. when i saw it for the first time after i expected it to look worse by the size of the car that hit me but it didnt look as bad as i would expect it to. was great on gas and cheap to fix. i loved that car as my first car and never really had to do any major mechanical work other than the accident. had 97000 miles when it did. i would buy it again no question.

Average at best
By cav_rider666 on 06/04/12 10:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Cavalier for six years now and the car has treated me well. The interior is roomy and comfortable, however the build quality is terrible and I have a nice crack that formed on top of the dash. The handling is ok if you drive sensibly, but the Cavalier isn't a blast to drive. It will do the trick to get you from A to B but you won't have much fun in the process. The 2.2L OHV engine is reliable and relatively cheap on gas, but don't expect the same level of performance or sophistication as the japanese brands. Overal the Cavalier was a good car for the price paid but there are far better cars out there.

Never trust this car!
By lenoram on 02/05/11 02:38 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 cavalier. I bought this car with 5k miles. Within 6 months of ownership my starter went out. Thank God for warranty. After my starter was fixed more problems arised. I want to say I bought a used car. Electrical problems, broken trunk, broken sunviser, problems with my headlights, seat belt broken, and other problems under the hood. I HATE this car.

2200 SFI
By 2200sfi on 03/25/10 19:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2002 Cavalier Base Sedan it has the 2.2 liter ohv engine. I love the low end torque rather have ohv than the dohc. I got it June of 07 it is my first car it had 52k when I bought it now has 110k today is march 25 of 2010. I average 34 mpg. Only thing was is this past Christmas the fuel pump died other than that it is perfect. I have modified it a bit I installed a flowmaster delta 40 muffler and converted the stock intake into a cold air intake which has helped economy and performance plus the muffler gives the car a good sound. I will own it till it dies which looks like a long time.

awesome lil 4 cyl car
By Eli on 01/27/10 13:49 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car (2.2L) it has manual options,cloth seats,4 doors car is great on gas mileage, very comfortable, fun to drive... its got 138 *** miles i replaced the alternator-battery at 136000 which i think is not bad after owning this car for 9 years... and it can get 38 mpg on the Hwy

glad they dont make them anymore
By mart on 07/03/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

at 47000 miles head gasket,water pump.thermostat had to be replaced.at 55000 miles fuel pump had to be replaced,located inside of fuel tank,oil filter is in a bad location,air conditioner has stop working.when car does run it runs good and get good gas mileage.

Great Little Car!
By sensationalsens1978 on 01/17/09 07:03 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It is a perfect car for getting me to work and back. I haven't had any serious problems with it. However it is starting to rust, but that will be fixed later this year! If you are looking for a safe, reliable, and affordable vehicle, look no further than the Cavalier!

300,000 miles
By contaucreek on 01/02/09 14:40 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 04. Drive 100000km a year and have about 480000km on it now. Odometer burnt out, dash lights burnt out, countless rear strut mounts,a/c failed first due to wiring then due to probable clutch problem, usual headlight wiring issue, does not burn a drop of oil, reliable like you wouldn't believe (touch wood)

At least this Cavaliar is 'great'!
By rusty on 09/03/08 08:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great pick-up. Great on gas savings. Room enough for a chubby driver. Looks real good. Easy to keep clean.

I love my Cavalier
By Charlene on 07/26/08 20:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutley love my Cavalier. I've had it for over 5 years now and I have not had a problem yet. It was previously a rental car before I bought it so I thought it would have major problems. I was completely wong. I replaced my brakes at 53,000 miles. Other than regular maintenance, it hasn't had any problems. I couldn't have asked for a better car. I get about 35 MPG on the freeway and about 30 in the city. I don't know why I get such good gas mieage (I live in Southern California for goodness sakes, I am always in traffic!). I plan on driving it until it will not run anymore because it of the gas mileage.