2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Not that great of a car
By christinafeb7 on 10/08/14 05:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got a 2002 cavalier coupe (auto) as my first car. When I got it, it had around 140k miles. Didn't own the car for 2 months and i already had to replace the fuel pump which was about $500. Couple months later my serpentine belt broke and burned in my engine, horrible smell! The belt was about $20. a couple months after this, the bracket that holds the muffler rusted and broke and the muffler was almost falling off. then my car got super loud and i found out there was something wrong with the catalac converter(bad speller) well, then someone pulled out in front of me and i wasn't going over 30 and my car got totaled. Not reliable or safe if you get in an accident.

Love it!
By Jduval on 06/21/10 11:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 65,000 Miles on it a year ago. Since then the only problem I have had was an evap leak. Nothing too severe. I changed the stock Radio threw in some better speakers and some subs in the trunk. Car is very fun to drive with the 5 spd. Very reliable with good pep when you want it. The A/C drains power when on and I have the very common fuse that burned out on the blower motor.

Good, but not safe
By 02Cavvy on 06/18/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 w/22K miles. I wrecked it just recently due to someone pulling out in front of me. I hit the other car doing 40 mph and it totaled my car. The frame was warped, windshield cracked, engine shoved back, but still able to go 5 mph to move it. I've had to replace the back left speed sensor (whole brake drum, great planning Chevy - not.) I had the engine mounts go bad, O2 sensor, etc. I had to replace the front bumper pieces and that was around $500 just for parts. Poor build quality, I had panels gaping in one spot and pressed tightly in others. It's a good car if you want good gas mileage and something reliable in winter. Don't wreck you'll be seriously injured.

Ok car
By Crunched on 10/03/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2002. Great economy. Never failed in any way. Only work other than oil changes were brakes and tires. Poorly designed rear seat. Had to keep kids in booster seats due to the dip in the back seats. Also seats were made of cinder blocks. Loved the car till it was totaled in a 25-35 mph accident. Barely escaped severe injury.

Sad To Let Her Go!
By Maria on 05/17/09 14:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my cavalier for 8 years now it is my sec. My 1st one I was in a very bad crash with and rolled the car and I am still alive that is why I had gotten the sec one. It has been a great car for the past 8 years but after haveing 88,500 miles on her she is ready to die! I only wish gm made them last a lil longer I am sad to let her go and its very hard to find another car like this

Great gas mileage!
By Sassycat on 11/03/08 14:49 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving our SUV to work everyday and got the Cavalier to save on gas. I love this car. It's cute, reliable and definitely performs in the mileage-saving area. On the open road I've gotten 40-mpg! I've driven this car solo across the country a number of times and have had no problems. It has about 80,000 miles on it but the interior and exterior still look new after a wash & wax. Had a clogged fuel line that caused problems last year but that has been fixed. A strut bearing needs attention, apparently that's a typical problem, annoying but not critical.

02 Cavy base coupe
By seanyboi142 on 10/01/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car so much. It's got a little power to it (110 hp base model). It's not so good when accelerating with the AC on it puts a drag on the engine. I took it back to a Chevy dealership twice. The first time I took it back because I got tired of the base engine and ordered a LS sport engine which was much needed for power (140 hp engine). Well my engine light came after I had the car for about 2 or 3 weeks. Turns out someone put some of the parts in wrong. Well that's it. It's a great car.

A good value in an inexpensive car.
By Cavalier Driver on 04/02/07 09:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Our Cavalier has been very reliable and inexpensive to own. The only significant repair we have had to make, beyond routine maintenance, was the replacement of the fuel pump at about 80,000 miles. Even though I now work for a new car dealership of another make of cars, I have to say that our Cavalier was a good purchase for us.

Not a bad car at all, at least for me
By p DuB on 01/15/07 02:31 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier standard black coupe in November 2006. I like this car because it hasn't given me any problems yet. I hear very good and bad things about this car all the time, I don't really know who to believe. But, all I can say is that I own the standard 2002 coupe model with about 58,000 miles on it and it runs great. I've had this car for about 2 months now and haven't had any problems yet, but from what I have been hearing and reading about this car, I'm ready for the worst that can happen with it. I haven't changed the oil or anything on it yet, but I will very soon. Overall, it's very reliable for a nice every day car for driving for fun, to work, or to school.

Get what you pay for
By Gabe on 01/14/07 07:54 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm still driving my Cavalier and I have to say that it's not too bad considering the price. Obviously it's one of the more inexpensive cars out there, so expect what you pay for. The key phrase here is "preventative maintenance." As long as you get regular oil changes and check-ups, the Cavalier will hold up. Will say that it seems to run into problems on very wet days, especially when running through puddles. Not too enamored with the crash ratings but, again, you get what you pay for. Couple of expensive repairs but confident they are isolated incidents and don't affect the overall dependability of the Cavalier. Remember, it's a cheap car. Don't expect a Porsche out of it.