Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Fantastic little car. GM girl for life
By Amy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After having a baby in 2001, I was beginning to feel way too momish. I missed having a small sporty car and purchased this car new in March 2002. Loved the car from the very start, very comfortable and roomy interior ( rear-facing car seat fits easily in and out of the back seat), great handling, and quick/zippy performance from the 2.2L Ecotec engine. Unfortunately, I have a tendancy to drive my cars extremely hard and often forget about routine preventative maintenance (like oil). Oil was changed maybe 5 times. My engine siezed in April 2007 at 83K miles. I have since replaced the engine with a 2005 2.2L Ecotectand now running great. Even at 5 yrs old the interior looks almost like new.

Favorite Features

Chrome alloy wheels, trunk lid spoiler, ground effects, and fog lights give this car a great sporty appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Quicker power windows. GMs are notorious for having painfully slow power windows (when rolling up).

Nice car!!
By jerry

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used for $7,995. I love it. It is an all around great car. Stiff sporty suspension, and a smooth highway drive. Looks and rides like a true sports car. I have the rare chrome stock wheels. It is bright red. It's a head turner. Not a bad built car. The 2.2 eco tech is the way to go I have heard nothing but bad thing about the 2.4 Z24 plus the body looks better. I strapped a z24 factory sign on there just to be cool

Favorite Features

Radio, beefed up suspension. Chrome factory 16's, deep bucket back seats..

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower.. but for great gas mileage I'll take it!

Totally inferior product
By dan-o

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've never owned a GM product, and based on this purchase, I never will again. At 45K miles, the dash panels are coming apart, rattling, & squeaking. Annoying squeaking has developed in the front suspension, and a disconcerting grinding noise is coming from the engine compartment at startup. I found a gap between the interior roof liner and the door edge that I can fit my finger through. What a disappointing example of American auto manufacturing. I'm going to sell it, get a Honda, and not feel one bit of sorrow for GM's current troubles.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Haphazard build quality at GM needs to be eliminated in order for the brand to survive. Consumers do not need to put up with this kind of subpar product when there are so many other good choices out there.

Good All Around Car
By Chevy Guy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 3 years now and it has been a completely reliable vehicle. I purchased this car based on two other reliable experiences with the same make/model. I commute every day from suburbs to city in all kinds of weather (including snow - i use snow tires too) and this car performs very well. Car gets very good gas mileage and decent performance with 4cyl/auto combination. No major mechanical/quality problems. Only problems of any kind has been an ABS sensor that failed and sticky power door locks (both warranty repairs). There are not many cars that have this value for the money.

Favorite Features

Car came with every option it could have. Good stereo. Power sunroof is nice too. Very good engine and transmission deliver very good fuel economy (30MPG avg/mix cty/hwy). Rides and handles reasonably well for an economy car. Standard ABS! (most cars in this class do not have standard ABS)

Suggested Improvements

Better interior parts. No quality problems but it feels cheap. Resale value is a downer but that's what you get when there is a $3000 rebate attached to the car. Brakes are typically a fast wearing item on these cars. Always have been. At least they are cheap to replace.

Little Red Cav
By Kyle Carpenter

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE THIS CAR!!! its simple, and worth every dime I payed. I bought it with 3 miles on it now I have 32,000 miles. And I've enjoyed every mile. I drove it from Florida to Northern Indiana to Maryland, Now i have it in Hawaii. I love the sporty look.

Favorite Features

the Stereo is very good for factory sound. The trunk is quite large. Also it is more roomy than it looks even in the back. I fit a 36' TV into the back, to bring it home from the store