2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2002 Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Sort Reviews by

Nice little car
By Cole Lutz

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i like my cavalier. it's a fun little car to drive, easy to do upgrades to. i recently supercharged my cavvy from a 2001 Chevy cobalt ss, it picks up and goes. i like how it looks and it's a fun little car. The only bad thing is that it dents really easy! thats the only con. drives really nice. i also have a aem short ram intake on it to. fun car

Favorite Features

supercharger

Suggested Improvements

fix the seat comfort front and rear

Cursed from the start!
By moseschrute

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this to replace my 2000 4 door Cavalier that was totaled in a side impact crash. This car was built at Lordstown assembly; recalled 2x due to faulty wiring in the steering column (Potential for wires to melt & cause a fire). Dealership says problem was fixed, but I've found burnt wires near the gas pedal, the lights by the gear shift have burnt out, horn replaced many times, but constantly burns out (driving hornless since May-REAL safe), can`t install car starter b/c wiring unsafe, REALLY loud drive, constant rattling/squeaking, no power steering, cracked dash, heat/ac only works on full blast, ABS brakes GROAN & slow response time in snow/wet weather; only $500 trade-in value

Favorite Features

Drives best at highway speeds, better performance on highway than city driving, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

There's a good reason why this car was discontinued; I will never own a GM vehicle again for the crappy assembly - I feel like I am driving a death trap and no longer feel safe in it. I am replacing this car with a 2007 Mazda 3 because I am starting a family.

Great Car
By TUowl05

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 2 door LS sport in July of 2003 with 5k miles on it. It was a great car that was extremely reliable and relatively fun to drive. I only had to replace the driver's side window motor as that went out at about 35k miles. Other than that the car was flawless. My only complaint was the paint is pretty crappy. You could scratch it with your fingernail. Despite waxing it reguraly nicks and scratches always seemed to pop up. I recently traded it in on an '06 Saab 9- 3 but even with the step up I still miss my Cavalier. It was a great little car during my college years. It had 55,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and was pleased with the $5k trade in I got for it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, sunroof, quality audio system, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better paint. Original tires lasted about 25k miles. My interior didn't rattle too bad but I could tell it was going to soon.

I was satisfied...
By Martin

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2 door Cavalier w/manual transmision in 2002 as replacement for lease of the same brand and make. I drive anually about 30000 miles and that car did all the hard work for me. I properly maintained; changed oil every 3K to 4K miles plus all the required maintenance. However I have to admit that car is loud, not comfortable, not even sporty - thank to decade old body and engine design, but it will do a run for you if you need. It has never let me down or broken on me even after 97 200 miles that I drove on it. I hope that new owner will like it because I just recently trade it for Honda. Good luck and many miles without problems.

Favorite Features

Power of engine. Car is not sporty but it will do the job no matter how rough you are on it. Just change oil and properly maintain it and it will be there for you. ABS, A/C, remote access+trunk release...

Suggested Improvements

Design, get rid off the hard plastic and improve engine. 2.2L engine with only 115HP is not that great. GM stop liquidate value of your cars by selling new cars over priced. Mine cost 3 years ago 13K and trade it in for 3.4K...it is 80% less than original value after 3 years and 4 months.

Never Buy a Cavalier
By Jon&Stacy

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say they are good for gas milege. As a over all car would never own one again. They do not have any power and are very prone to break down. They are not worth your time or effort or money. They are only good cars if you want to spend the money onthem to repair.

Favorite Features

NONE.

Suggested Improvements

The whole car need improvement.

Great Value
By SMR

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My last two vehicles were a Honda and Nissan. This time when shopping for a car the best value was a Cavalier. Nothing can compete for the price with traction control, ABS, cruise, power windows, CD. Mine drives great and I expect good dependability like my Cavalier I bought 10 years ago with less options for about the same price as the 02 I just bought. You can't beat it for value.

Favorite Features

ABS, Traction Control, CD

Suggested Improvements

Drivers is too soft, It feel more like a Lazy Boy than a car seat.

2002 Cavalier LS
By alrosu

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good. I've had 2 oil changes so far, one at the dealer and another at a local place in town, and both have overfilled my oil by at least 1/2 a quart.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration. Handles well in the snow. Traction control system worked well in snow. Don't need to replace many of the fluids and spark plugs until 100,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles on the outside need to be designed for a better grip. Make the car a little quieter.

I love it!!
By BeckyC

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a great choice for new drivers. It was/is my first car and I absolutely love it!

Favorite Features

The design and the gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be a little more comfortable, but at least you know you wont fall asleep in them. ;-)