Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Lemon
By Jared

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 147k miles, 2 dr, auto, 2.2L I4. Test drove it and all was good. Maybe it was neglect, or maybe it was the dealership, but soon after buying it, things went south. The seats are AWFUL on long trips and has no power. GM also had the bright idea to not put a tranny dipstick in this model, so you can't check the fluid. The tranny cooler lines were leaking, so no idea if it needs fluid without taking it to the shop. Also had rusted brake lines and fuel lines leak. I have an 89 olds 88 and its not even as rusty as this Cavalier. Oil filter is also IMPOSSIBLE to get to. Have to take the front passenger wheel off and it's still difficult then.

Sporty feel when driving

More back support on seats, thicker metal on rocker panels, no plastic body moldings, tranny fluid dipstick, easily accessible oil filter, wheel covers that don't fall off, better mileage (not that great for a tiny car with a tiny engine!), etc.

Not that great of a car
By christinafeb7

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got a 2002 cavalier coupe (auto) as my first car. When I got it, it had around 140k miles. Didn't own the car for 2 months and i already had to replace the fuel pump which was about $500. Couple months later my serpentine belt broke and burned in my engine, horrible smell! The belt was about $20. a couple months after this, the bracket that holds the muffler rusted and broke and the muffler was almost falling off. then my car got super loud and i found out there was something wrong with the catalac converter(bad speller) well, then someone pulled out in front of me and i wasn't going over 30 and my car got totaled. Not reliable or safe if you get in an accident.

Radio sounds great, good bass.

This Car Will Not Die
By smk92

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 14 months ago for 1500 dollars. It had 273,000 km on it and the only major thing that had been replaced by that point was the water pump (I know cuz it was my sisters). It now has 312,000 km on it and still running like a charm. I am now replacing the fuel pump because it just went but for a car with 312,000 I can't complain. I love this car to death and I will drive it until it dies. In the last 14 months I have spent maybe 300 dollars on it for minor repairs (sensors etc.)

Love the manual transmission. Way better than automatic. This car kicks butt off the line and just drives like a dream, and has so much power for what type of car it is.

Nothing I can think of except maybe the fact that the dashboard cracks in every single one of these cars. Haha. But thats nothing serious, like I said overall fantastic car. Good job Chevy!

318,000 with 2 repairs
By roadwarrior13

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Finally totalled on NJTPK in multi-vehicle pile-up with 318,000+ miles, only 2 real repairs ever = water pump, alternator. Other = 1 wheel bearing & exhaust. Change oil regularly & do very little else... looking for another one :)

Best car!
By kad44664127

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2012 for $1500 with 83000 miles on it and crank windows. started every single day without a problem. during a snowstorm i slid on some ice and hit another vehicle. got it fixed with parts from the junkyard and worked like new again. then i got bundle with an acura mdx hit a telephone pole and it got totalled. when i saw it for the first time after i expected it to look worse by the size of the car that hit me but it didnt look as bad as i would expect it to. was great on gas and cheap to fix. i loved that car as my first car and never really had to do any major mechanical work other than the accident. had 97000 miles when it did. i would buy it again no question.

good gas mileage durable cheap to fix

gas gage was a bit off always said i had more than what i actually had.