Used 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Most Helpful|
Not that great of a car
By christinafeb7

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got a 2002 cavalier coupe (auto) as my first car. When I got it, it had around 140k miles. Didn't own the car for 2 months and i already had to replace the fuel pump which was about $500. Couple months later my serpentine belt broke and burned in my engine, horrible smell! The belt was about $20. a couple months after this, the bracket that holds the muffler rusted and broke and the muffler was almost falling off. then my car got super loud and i found out there was something wrong with the catalac converter(bad speller) well, then someone pulled out in front of me and i wasn't going over 30 and my car got totaled. Not reliable or safe if you get in an accident.

Favorite Features

Radio sounds great, good bass.

Dealer has my car more than I do!!!!!!!!
By mindyj

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wish I would have never bought this car. WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE! The dealer has had the car as much as I have if not more. Car stalls on me when I put it into drive.Dosen't happen all the time so they say can not duplicate it. Supposed to be fixed every time that I get it back but still have same problem. Power windows have gotten stuck. Cigarette lighter and power volt have both been blown. Say it was my car carger but it workes in every other car. Oh yeah they say a cigarette lighter is not the place for a car charger. Odometer light went out. Clunking in steering when I turn. Been to dealer at least 10 times.

Favorite Features

It's nicw WHEN I HAVE IT!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

As to my peoblems WHAT DOESN'T NEED TO BE IMPROVED?????

Cavalier Nightmare
By mark0

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Low engine coolant light came on after 4 weeks... Crack in Engine block all the coolant drained into the engine and mixed with the oil. Dealer replaced engine. without car for 2 weeks. Then the alternator died at 3 months... Did anyone else have so many problems?

Favorite Features

None!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Build a better car.

Cavalier is K-mart class JUNK!
By tony22r

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Blown head gaskets after 36,000 miles. Electrical shorts/problems since new. Transmission & engine oil pans leaked like a Pig since new. Windows fell of their tracks. LOTS of squeaks, rattles, annoying sounds coming from engine, passenger compartment, transmission. In short, do NOT buy a Chev Cavalier! It is PURE JUNK!

Favorite Features

makes a good lawn ornament... sitting on jackstands and bricks.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Chevrolet would stop making JUNK! I'm sick and tired of Fixing these Chevy's Every weekend! They got my hard-earned money, I got a broken down piece of Junk!

Chevy is crap!
By Mikey

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 cavalier is junk. I will push it into a river to get rid of it. Salesman was a jerk.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

chevy stop building cars...