Update for 11/28/06 review
By Matt on
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
I had this car for only a year and a half. I purchased it with 89k and the motor went out at 94k. The motor I have in it now is starting to knock and it has only 60k! Unfortunately I read about the hit and miss reliability of the 2.4 motors after I bought it. The transmission has clunky shifts between 1st and 2nd. The front end clunks and squeaks when turning. The mechanic told me its a "normal" Cavalier thing and no repairs are necessary. The fuel pump cost me an outrageous $500 at the dealer. My dash is cracked in 2 places. I expected better from Chevy. The non 2.4 Cavaliers are much more reliable. I might look elsware for my next purchase which might be soon with that time bomb of a motor.
Favorite Features
It's quick and the motor sounds more like a V6. It handles great too. The sound system is the best stock system I ever had. The black looks great when it's all clean.
Suggested Improvements
The already improved on it with the addition of the Ecotec in 2002 (combo of power and reliability) and in 2005 with the new Cobalt which has worlds better interior quality and it looks good on the outside too.