2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2001 Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Sort Reviews by

Just give them a real suspension
By thestevester

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have put 22,000 miles on my 2001 Z24 since buying it new last year.I Have had no problems at all.Great looks and a good price.The car handles very well and is only lacking a better suspension.The build quality on mine is very good,much tighter and no rattles compared to my 91 z24(also bought new).2.4 is a little loud at idle but quiets down on the road.Great on the highway but it can get tiresome driving the manual around town,especially on bad roads when the car feels like it falls right in to potholes.

Favorite Features

CD sound system,handling,looks,mags are awesome,equipment for the money,2.4 engine can move when pushed.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a real suspension,put a trunk release inside the car not just on the remote.

Love it
By BBgmu

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Cav, and I dont care what the ratings say, this car is so dependable and sporty!!

Favorite Features

When I hit the gas it goes

Suggested Improvements

Better color qual in the interior

Nothing But Frustration
By aarrrggh

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Only 1 year old and in the shop 6 times now.4 times for the same problem: excessive road noise in front tires--I think something's off in balance/make of the car. They swear that the loud squealing is normal. Hum. Something in the steering column broke within 1st month, trunk pops open everytime I drive, and something's wrong with the engine,excessively downshifts and I can't make it up the smallest hill without being passed by 1982 Volvos. GM says, "you'll just have to drive it in 3rd all of the time to fix this, nothing we can do" What?! This car has NO POWER. I'm getting rid of it before something MAJOR goes wrong and I am stranded on the highway.

Favorite Features

Cute exterior. Lots of cup holders and pretty comfy backseat for an economy car.

Suggested Improvements

Make a more solid car and give it some power. Fix the roadnoise problem.

2001 Z24
By Eric Strecker

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Decent performance with 150 hrspwr 4 cyl. I actuall think it looks pretty sharp. Have several noises and poping sounds coming from the dash. Also have a rattle in transmission that is apparantly normal for chevrolet cars. Had the transmission replaced for a known issue for cavs. built before Oct. 2000. This was a different noise than the one that's not fixable. Build the car BETTER. the sticker on my Z24 was around $18,000. For this much money I expect a car that's built a little better than this. REDESIGN the manual transmission. It SHOULD NOT be normal for a trans. to rattle when excelerating at 1500 rpm.

Suggested Improvements

Overall suggestion, by a Ford Focus or an import.

First car (kinda)
By RoNuS

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Well, this is my 2nd car and i'm 18 years old. My first car was a 1980 Ford Fairmont, so I obviously love my Cavalier a lot more than my piece of crap Fairmont. Although it may not have the power of many cars out on the road, the 4-speed automatic w/ overdrive makes it quite zippy.

Favorite Features

The ability to accessorize just about anything on the Cavalier is nice. I like being able to be flexible on choosing the look for my car.

Suggested Improvements

Little more HP at the wheels, more leg room in the back seat, a sunroof on the 4-door models.

2001 Cavalier
By Mike Nomura

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This American-made car has hade no problems during its first year! Sufficent for everyday driving. Gets 35.5 MPG 4AT. Uphill, too much gear hunting(up/downshifting). Solid rear axle needs to be independant for smoother rides. A/C is ice cold on max mode. Great value if without any options. Options depreciate to fast. Only large rebates would entice me for another Cav. Cheaper than a Accent/Rio with large rebate.

Favorite Features

Generous rebates,low fuel light, oil changes without a jack, large oil dipstick tube for funnelless oil changes, glass-like shine on black paint.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter steering to avoid those potholes, dipstick for auto trans, grease fitting for longer life.

2001 cavalier
By jen

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

uncomfortable for long drives, but very reliable and good gas mileage

No Complaints!
By gish879

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2-door STD Coupe for awhile now, and there have been no problems whatsoever. The only issue that I have with the car is that it has such a wimpy engine...But, I knew that from the beginning. It moves..Just doesn't accelerate that great. But I have had no problems whatsoever and would highly recommend the car to anyone that wants an attractive, cheap, and simple car.

Suggested Improvements

More Horsepower!

Satisfied
By Mark E Mark

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I recently got a 2002 Cavalier base coupe, and i had doubts about the performance aspect of the 2.2 L engine. My car was equipted with a 5 speed manual transmission which proved to deliver good pick-up and acceleration. It will really fool you. Although it is not as refined as its imported competitors, it has all that one would need, all in pretty good locations. I recomend the chevy cavalier.

Favorite Features

great acceleration, handles very good, suprising power.

Suggested Improvements

none

Z24