Used 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Econo car
By Lawrence Pemberton

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Cavelier I've owned. Both were bought new or near new and have exceeded my expectations for an economy car. I've owned other economy cars, Mitsubitsi, Chevette, Honda, etc. with less than favorable results. I get 30 to 37mpg with a 5 speed manual transmission, and have driven on several vacations with no excessive driver fatigue. I've had no mechanical problems, and generally trade after about 200,000 miles. My only negative comment is that I do get tired of shifting in city driving.

Gas mileage and simplicity of design.

I think my next will have an automatic transmission.

Great little car
By Murdoc

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2003 with 56,000 miles on it, it now has 148,000. The car has been very reliable, needing only a couple of brake changes I did myself. I put in an aftermarket air intake that made a huge difference in performance. I would describe the 2.4 as being very eager. I get about 29 mpg every time i fill, but have seen as much as 38 mpg on road trips. Lost of squeaks rattles and engine noises, but I drive with the radio turned up.

With the aftermarket intake the car is very quick. Front seats are very comfortable and supportive. I also love the speed sensetive volume on the stereo.

Too many noises. Seat belts dont retract right, you have to make sure you dont shut the doors on them. Rear facing child seat only fits in center, but can fit front facing seats in all 3 spots.

Poor Quality all-round
By jeff

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car for 6 months now. The problems have snowballed. Had 110k km on it when I bought it. Since then the transmission seals have leaked horribly and the back struts rattle continuously when in motion. Definitely a decent looking car, yet the automatic is certainly very slow shifting. The repairs have added up in a few months and I've had enough of Chevy for a lifetime.

Looks, fuel miser.

The transmission is sub-par in the automatic, and should have been improved before the Cobalt came out.

2Dr STD 5-speed Cavy
By cavalier

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car about 2 years now, recently replaced the head gasket ($700) and waterpump ($300), both typical of the 2.2L engine. Extremely fun to drive (5 speed only), ice cold AC, good stock sound system, sporty styling, has never overheated, decent gas mileage, good value for what you pay. Acceleration is great with the 5- sp! Cig lighter is in a bad place, as are temp controls, rattles terribly under 1500 rpm, hesitant idle, shaky at much above 70 mph, cracked dash (of course), "clunky" steering, dash/glove box rattle.

5 speed transmission, acceleration, sporty look, 15 inch alloys, ice cold AC!

Fix dashboard rattles and dash cracking problem. Move cig lighter. Fix the hesitation and rattling at idle and <1500 rpm.

Great First Car
By Bella

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought his car brand new and I have had this car about six years now. The glove box has rattled since day one and the dash board cracked at about forty thousand miles. I will say that is a very reliable car. Always started up no matter how cold or how hot. Inexpensive to fix and because of the price had a nicer car than most of my friends. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable, inexpensive, decent looking car.

Reliable and inexpensive

Not applicable considering GM not longer make this model car.

• SUV