Used 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Fun and low cost coupe
By 2001 Cavalier Coupe

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 Cavalier Coupe and drove it off the lot new beause it was inexpensive and had a sprots car look. It has been a fun to drive and very reliable car. The 5 speed manual transmission and the interior makes this compact car seem like more of a sports car when driving it. I have just purchased a new 2008 Cobalt, and I already miss the interior and the 5 speed shift handle of the Cavalier.

Favorite Features

Front wheel drive, keyless entry, Interior design, handling capabilities

Update for 11/28/06 review
By Matt

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for only a year and a half. I purchased it with 89k and the motor went out at 94k. The motor I have in it now is starting to knock and it has only 60k! Unfortunately I read about the hit and miss reliability of the 2.4 motors after I bought it. The transmission has clunky shifts between 1st and 2nd. The front end clunks and squeaks when turning. The mechanic told me its a "normal" Cavalier thing and no repairs are necessary. The fuel pump cost me an outrageous $500 at the dealer. My dash is cracked in 2 places. I expected better from Chevy. The non 2.4 Cavaliers are much more reliable. I might look elsware for my next purchase which might be soon with that time bomb of a motor.

Favorite Features

It's quick and the motor sounds more like a V6. It handles great too. The sound system is the best stock system I ever had. The black looks great when it's all clean.

Suggested Improvements

The already improved on it with the addition of the Ecotec in 2002 (combo of power and reliability) and in 2005 with the new Cobalt which has worlds better interior quality and it looks good on the outside too.

2001 Cavalier
By Linda

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is GREAT! I got into a wreck where another driver hit me head on, and broke my windsheild and also made my airbags bust. But my engine was in GOOD shape nothing happened to it. Thank God!! This goes to show you that the engine in this car is GREATLY MADE!

Suggested Improvements

I think they should made the body more durable.

Econo car
By Lawrence Pemberton

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Cavelier I've owned. Both were bought new or near new and have exceeded my expectations for an economy car. I've owned other economy cars, Mitsubitsi, Chevette, Honda, etc. with less than favorable results. I get 30 to 37mpg with a 5 speed manual transmission, and have driven on several vacations with no excessive driver fatigue. I've had no mechanical problems, and generally trade after about 200,000 miles. My only negative comment is that I do get tired of shifting in city driving.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and simplicity of design.

Suggested Improvements

I think my next will have an automatic transmission.

Great little car
By Murdoc

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2003 with 56,000 miles on it, it now has 148,000. The car has been very reliable, needing only a couple of brake changes I did myself. I put in an aftermarket air intake that made a huge difference in performance. I would describe the 2.4 as being very eager. I get about 29 mpg every time i fill, but have seen as much as 38 mpg on road trips. Lost of squeaks rattles and engine noises, but I drive with the radio turned up.

Favorite Features

With the aftermarket intake the car is very quick. Front seats are very comfortable and supportive. I also love the speed sensetive volume on the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Too many noises. Seat belts dont retract right, you have to make sure you dont shut the doors on them. Rear facing child seat only fits in center, but can fit front facing seats in all 3 spots.