2001 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Disappointed in the car's reliability.
By NYC Geezer on 01/13/09 00:06 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new in 2001 and still have it. Its initial appeal was all the standard features for the price compared to other small cars where almost every desired feature was an expensive option. Although I maintained the car very well to this day, it had its share of rattles & clunking noises from the day I first drove it. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty when my 3 year/36000 mile new car warranty expired, because the car needed some very expensive mechanical repair work after the Chevy warranty expired. As a retiree on a fixed budget, I can't afford expensive repairs or a new car every several years, so I'm thankful this car lasted till now, but no more GM compact cars for me!

2001 Cavalier
By angela on 11/04/08 08:08 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had any problems with it yet, besides the cruise control not working and the A/C doesn't work so it gets really hot in the summer with the dark interiors. But not using the A/C gives me even better gas mileage.

Reliable small car
By Darwin on 08/20/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and now have 86000 km of mixed city and highway driving. Also have a trailer hitch and frequently pull a utility trailer and a small boat trailer with no problems. Automatic transmission is reliable and smooth. This is not a race car or very flashy but good reliable transportation. Had to replace the front wheel bearings - driver side last fall and passenger side this spring.

A perfect domestic car for $4 a gallon
By Cutty on 05/24/08 00:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I read all the reviews on here prior to buying, and the biggest thing I agree with is the suspension. The day I got it the coil springs snapped. I took care of that and since then had no problems. the car is great on gas 29/30 mpg. Mine has the 5 speed so it does move a lot better than the auto. I currently have 96k with no cracks on the dash either. The biggest thing that I can think of is that all the pedals have a noise to them but I'm sure a little wd40 will cure that. Overall I'm happy with it and would definitely recommend to others.

The Car that never let me down
By CavGuy4Life on 04/27/08 11:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was taking my car to Tennessee one year and on the way down it was leaking transmission fluid. I did no know this, drove down, stayed for a week and drove home. On the way home the transmission started acting up. When I got home and got the car to a mechanic, I was totally out of transmission fluid. The mechanic said my car should have never made it out of Tennessee. This car is very relyable if you maintain it and respect it. Cause mine got me home when she should never have got me out of the city of Gallatin TN.

Fun and low cost coupe
By 2001 Cavalier Coupe on 01/21/08 17:51 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 Cavalier Coupe and drove it off the lot new beause it was inexpensive and had a sprots car look. It has been a fun to drive and very reliable car. The 5 speed manual transmission and the interior makes this compact car seem like more of a sports car when driving it. I have just purchased a new 2008 Cobalt, and I already miss the interior and the 5 speed shift handle of the Cavalier.

Update for 11/28/06 review
By Matt on 12/22/07 23:26 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for only a year and a half. I purchased it with 89k and the motor went out at 94k. The motor I have in it now is starting to knock and it has only 60k! Unfortunately I read about the hit and miss reliability of the 2.4 motors after I bought it. The transmission has clunky shifts between 1st and 2nd. The front end clunks and squeaks when turning. The mechanic told me its a "normal" Cavalier thing and no repairs are necessary. The fuel pump cost me an outrageous $500 at the dealer. My dash is cracked in 2 places. I expected better from Chevy. The non 2.4 Cavaliers are much more reliable. I might look elsware for my next purchase which might be soon with that time bomb of a motor.

2001 Cavalier
By Linda on 07/25/07 19:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is GREAT! I got into a wreck where another driver hit me head on, and broke my windsheild and also made my airbags bust. But my engine was in GOOD shape nothing happened to it. Thank God!! This goes to show you that the engine in this car is GREATLY MADE!

Econo car
By Lawrence Pemberton on 06/20/07 20:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Cavelier I've owned. Both were bought new or near new and have exceeded my expectations for an economy car. I've owned other economy cars, Mitsubitsi, Chevette, Honda, etc. with less than favorable results. I get 30 to 37mpg with a 5 speed manual transmission, and have driven on several vacations with no excessive driver fatigue. I've had no mechanical problems, and generally trade after about 200,000 miles. My only negative comment is that I do get tired of shifting in city driving.

Great little car
By Murdoc on 05/18/07 01:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2003 with 56,000 miles on it, it now has 148,000. The car has been very reliable, needing only a couple of brake changes I did myself. I put in an aftermarket air intake that made a huge difference in performance. I would describe the 2.4 as being very eager. I get about 29 mpg every time i fill, but have seen as much as 38 mpg on road trips. Lost of squeaks rattles and engine noises, but I drive with the radio turned up.