Used 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Most Helpful|
Getting fed up!!
By Jessica Cardona

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Had A/C problems since I took it off the lot!! Had to be brought back every summer since date of purchase for the A/C. Freon is coming through my vents!! Crack occured after 30,000 miles on the dashboard. Check engine light always comes on, but they cannot find anything wrong with it. (so they say)..Shutters on the highway after reaching 70mph. Sometimes it hesitates on startup. Hesitates a lot when not in motion. Pain in the butt to change headlight bulbs.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry alarm system. Lots of cup holders. Roomy and comfortable front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Put the outlet somewhere besides next to the steering wheel. When i plug my cell charger in, it always starts to wrap around wheel when making a turn. Wish it came with a sunroof. Needs more headroom in the back seat.

Disappointed in the car's reliability.
By NYC Geezer

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new in 2001 and still have it. Its initial appeal was all the standard features for the price compared to other small cars where almost every desired feature was an expensive option. Although I maintained the car very well to this day, it had its share of rattles & clunking noises from the day I first drove it. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty when my 3 year/36000 mile new car warranty expired, because the car needed some very expensive mechanical repair work after the Chevy warranty expired. As a retiree on a fixed budget, I can't afford expensive repairs or a new car every several years, so I'm thankful this car lasted till now, but no more GM compact cars for me!

Favorite Features

Power doors, locks, windows. Very smooth-shifting uto transmission, large trunk, split rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Body fit, rattles eliminated, front suspension, hood insulation,

Keep Looking!
By SarahB

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for five months and needed to replace the head gasket and coolant system. The car has run warmer than it should since I got it, and just recently finally decided to overheat. This car is only at 51,000 miles. Keep searching for other cars!

Favorite Features

Seats are slightly comfortable.

need new brakes
By pk2002

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Cavalier in February of 2001. Since then I have made it to 50,000 miles with no major problems. (I have had to replace the tires once.) But now I am noticing a brake problem recently. The Chevy doesn't like to slow down in the rain or ice. So I have to go into the shop for a tune-up and new brakes. But if that is the only thing that goes wrong for the next 50 K miles, then I will be one happy driver. It is a good entry-level car, if you know what you are paying for. It is not a Honda or Toyota, or anything close to that! Make sure that you get all the rebates that come with the car!!!

Favorite Features

Price, fairly good gas mileage (30h/24c)

Suggested Improvements

More power in the engine, and please provide a "trunk opener" latch inside the car!!! Spell "gauge" correctly. (all cavalier owners will know what I mean...)

Ms. Fed Up
By Honda Luver 4 life

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I do not have a happy report about this model. back to the dealer a total of fifteen (15) times, I've had my driver door serviced for loud noises, ignition switch & lock replaced,AC serviced twice, battery replaced for leaking acid, check ingine light stayed on for days,my theft deterent system had to be reprogrammed, the coil had to be replaced, going 70mph on the highway the car just shut off on me (and this happened twice), fuel pump had to be replaced, cd had to be replaced. I never know when I'm gonna stall on the highway driving this vehicle.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle needs a total makeover.