2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Old Reliable
By RileyA2345 on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Only one repair in 45000 miles, a brake job, and Pittsburgh has many hills! Routine maintaince at my local mechanic(oil change,lub and filter, with air adjustments in tires). Tires are still original equipment as is battery and all other parts. Mileage is about 22 around town and 30 on trips. I'd recommend this car.

Ms. Fed Up
By Honda Luver 4 life on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I do not have a happy report about this model. back to the dealer a total of fifteen (15) times, I've had my driver door serviced for loud noises, ignition switch & lock replaced,AC serviced twice, battery replaced for leaking acid, check ingine light stayed on for days,my theft deterent system had to be reprogrammed, the coil had to be replaced, going 70mph on the highway the car just shut off on me (and this happened twice), fuel pump had to be replaced, cd had to be replaced. I never know when I'm gonna stall on the highway driving this vehicle.

Solid car, good performance.
By DVW67 on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is our second Cavalier. Our first was a '97 LS with the 2.2L engine and 4sp auto. I opted this time for the 2.4L engine despite having a good experience with the 2.2L. The 2.4L mated to the 4sp auto is a better performer when getting onto the highway from the on-ramps. The noise level is about the same between both versions. As of this writing, we have 56,800 miles on our 2001 LS (yes, we drive ALOT) and it has performed flawlessly. If asked if I would buy another, I would answer yes if we were considering another compact sedan.

need new brakes
By pk2002 on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Cavalier in February of 2001. Since then I have made it to 50,000 miles with no major problems. (I have had to replace the tires once.) But now I am noticing a brake problem recently. The Chevy doesn't like to slow down in the rain or ice. So I have to go into the shop for a tune-up and new brakes. But if that is the only thing that goes wrong for the next 50 K miles, then I will be one happy driver. It is a good entry-level car, if you know what you are paying for. It is not a Honda or Toyota, or anything close to that! Make sure that you get all the rebates that come with the car!!!

Nothing But Frustration
By aarrrggh on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Only 1 year old and in the shop 6 times now.4 times for the same problem: excessive road noise in front tires--I think something's off in balance/make of the car. They swear that the loud squealing is normal. Hum. Something in the steering column broke within 1st month, trunk pops open everytime I drive, and something's wrong with the engine,excessively downshifts and I can't make it up the smallest hill without being passed by 1982 Volvos. GM says, "you'll just have to drive it in 3rd all of the time to fix this, nothing we can do" What?! This car has NO POWER. I'm getting rid of it before something MAJOR goes wrong and I am stranded on the highway.

First car (kinda)
By RoNuS on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Well, this is my 2nd car and i'm 18 years old. My first car was a 1980 Ford Fairmont, so I obviously love my Cavalier a lot more than my piece of crap Fairmont. Although it may not have the power of many cars out on the road, the 4-speed automatic w/ overdrive makes it quite zippy.

A fine American compact
By Denny on 02/26/02 21:14 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The imports have been good to the US automakers. They taught them they need to strive for better cars. The cavalier on a cost to value ration is a big winner in this group. This is my second Cavalier in 5 years and it is a fine daily driver / commuter. We rack up about 25k per year and rotate our cars every four years or so. The Cavaliers we have owned never had a cost outside of routine maintainence.