Used 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Disappointed in the car's reliability.
By NYC Geezer

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new in 2001 and still have it. Its initial appeal was all the standard features for the price compared to other small cars where almost every desired feature was an expensive option. Although I maintained the car very well to this day, it had its share of rattles & clunking noises from the day I first drove it. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty when my 3 year/36000 mile new car warranty expired, because the car needed some very expensive mechanical repair work after the Chevy warranty expired. As a retiree on a fixed budget, I can't afford expensive repairs or a new car every several years, so I'm thankful this car lasted till now, but no more GM compact cars for me!

Power doors, locks, windows. Very smooth-shifting uto transmission, large trunk, split rear seats.

Body fit, rattles eliminated, front suspension, hood insulation,

Reliable small car
By Darwin

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and now have 86000 km of mixed city and highway driving. Also have a trailer hitch and frequently pull a utility trailer and a small boat trailer with no problems. Automatic transmission is reliable and smooth. This is not a race car or very flashy but good reliable transportation. Had to replace the front wheel bearings - driver side last fall and passenger side this spring.

Reliable economical transport ABS & traction control ( I had a Jeep Wrangler and other than not having as much road clearance; the Cavalier in this setup is just as good )

Unfortunately not made any more. Replaced by the Cobalt which seems to be just a smaller version of the Malibu and the mileage figures have not been improved.

2001 Cavalier
By Linda

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is GREAT! I got into a wreck where another driver hit me head on, and broke my windsheild and also made my airbags bust. But my engine was in GOOD shape nothing happened to it. Thank God!! This goes to show you that the engine in this car is GREATLY MADE!

I think they should made the body more durable.

Keep Looking!
By SarahB

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for five months and needed to replace the head gasket and coolant system. The car has run warmer than it should since I got it, and just recently finally decided to overheat. This car is only at 51,000 miles. Keep searching for other cars!

Seats are slightly comfortable.

Getting fed up!!
By Jessica Cardona

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Had A/C problems since I took it off the lot!! Had to be brought back every summer since date of purchase for the A/C. Freon is coming through my vents!! Crack occured after 30,000 miles on the dashboard. Check engine light always comes on, but they cannot find anything wrong with it. (so they say)..Shutters on the highway after reaching 70mph. Sometimes it hesitates on startup. Hesitates a lot when not in motion. Pain in the butt to change headlight bulbs.

Keyless entry alarm system. Lots of cup holders. Roomy and comfortable front seats.

Put the outlet somewhere besides next to the steering wheel. When i plug my cell charger in, it always starts to wrap around wheel when making a turn. Wish it came with a sunroof. Needs more headroom in the back seat.