Used 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Awesome Car!
By jones_rob

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my '01 Cavalier for three years. It had 65,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Now I have around 95,500 miles, with absolutely no problems! Still running on original battery! Replaced brakes at 70,000 miles and still have 1/2 pads left. My only complaint is that the dash cracks something crazy. It had one big crack in the center, which I covered with a stuffed animal, but now there are 6+ cracks on the dash. Chevy says it's "common" for this car. My previous car was a '97 Cavalier LS Sedan, that car was great until it hit 165,000 miles, then everything started to go. Hopefully I can get this one up to that!

Sunroof, upgraded radio system, 17" tires, exterior build quality.

Fix the freaking dash! Too bad Chevy discontinued the Cavalier, I would definately buy one new!

Some flaws, but still a great first car!
By lexxibaby

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 2 years ago, it had about 82K on it. Now I'm at about 112K. The head gasket was broken when I bought it but I got that fixed at the dealer. 3 months later, my alternator broke, but that didn't take much! And I have had a few brake problems, but I love the drive and I got in a car accident a few days ago and nothing was severely ruined! Only my radiator and headlight, and small bend on the hood. Although I have metal bumpers, definitely don't get the plastic ones because that's what saved my car! There was a fuel pump problem, but that I only happened when I ran out of gas completely. Sounds like a lot, but I did go to the junk yard to get to parts so it was cheap!

I can always do super fast turns, cheap oil changes, super comfy seats.

Better sound system and paint.

wish I could drive it
By crank_shaft23

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like cavaliers and its ran in my family some lasted forever or up intill it got totaled, so I bought my first cavalier, a 01 coup with a 2.2 automatic. drove it home 60 miles drove it to the store and back about 50 miles drove it to the dmv 25. Damn overheated and blew a head gasket didn't even have it for 3 days yet and blew the head gasket. other then that it was fun when it wasn't broken.

fix the head gasket issues, i've heard more then enough head gaskets get blown

Nice car for little money!
By SweetMikki

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my teenage son when he turned 16 & the car was 7 years old with 120,000 miles on it. Hes driven it all through high school & part of college & the car has been nothing but great to him! The ONLY thing this car has needed were normal maintenance such as brakes,tires,oil changes. The fuel economy isn't the best for a car of its size. Gets around 23 in the city & 29 hwy & thats a stick shift. Its very comfortable but the interior is cheaply made & things are starting to fall apart but it is 10 years old after all!

Very few to no major repairs needed

put better interior parts on & improve fuel economy

Awesome car!
By AWESOM CAR!!!

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this used car at 180,000 km and it is in perfect condition, love the 4 spd automatic, great gas mileage lots of fun to drive very reliable and love the design. regular oil changes and maintenance this car has never skipped a beat. With original everything this 9 yr old car shifts smoothly and drives great. I would recommend buying a cavalier over the competitors.

Exterior, very nice good heat in the winter cool in summer, i like everything about this car

one small problem, when accelerating the engine is a little noisy, but no other problems