2000 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Good Car
By Daniel on 12/29/04 03:20 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I had this car for four and a half years without any major problems with the engine or transmission. The dash did crack though and the car had three recalls for minor things. Overall I was satisfied with it. The reason why I got rid of it is because I found out about its poor crash rating. According to many reports this is the most unsafe car on the road especially regarding side impact.

cavalier
By jamie24 on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

The only problem I have ever had with my car is the driver side window (power window) stopped working.

Glad I Got Rid Of It!!!!
By eri-bear on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I totally loved this car when I bought it new 4 years ago, soon after I began having more and more problems: the CD player broke, the dash creaked(had it replaced 2x, the last time it cracked in half), battery leaked acid all over engine(most of the repairs not covered under warranty), air conditioner makes terrible sounds when idling(dealer mech. said this car was cheap and bottom of line), horrible sounds coming from tires(dealer mech. couldn't hear it???), had to be towed to the dealership twice because it wouldn't start, the accessory fuse shorted after the first use(had the short fixed but it happened again), had fuel pump replaced...only has 22K miles.

Love this car
By heather stevens on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I always love to drive this car. It is cost effective and very reliable. It is a great car for first getting out of college.

Gonna Drive this Until it Dies
By Derrick G on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I currently have just over 135,000 miles on this car and I bought it brand new. I have had no problems. (Just a couple of recalls that were taken care very quickly.) I still get over 30 miles per gallon. It's a little rough on the inside when compared to other vehicles, but it gets the job done.

Fun To Drive!
By Starchild on 06/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This car is a lot of fun to drive. By far the best thing this car has going for it is the acceleration - this car goes! The car is a bit tight fitting for anyone over 6 feet tall (I am 5'10" and it is snug). On long trips over 3 hours your ass will be hurtin' for sure. Mechanically, I have had a new problem with the car about every year. The water pump went out around 30K miles which from what I heard is common on GM vehicles. I also had some sort of hinge joint go out under the front driver side wheel which gave me a lot of creakin', a problem with the front breaks, and there was water leaking into one of the front headlights.

the white lemon
By adam210 on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

i hope for chevy's sake that i just got a lemon, but this thing is a hunk of junk. not long after the warranty was up it started to fall apart. wind noise is VERY loud, as are the creeking and squeeking sound that seem to come from every sq in of the car. at 55000 miles i have a rod knocking. my mechanic said that he noticed this happening alot in the ld9 "2.4l dohc" engine; and a friend of his at the dealership said that gm knows about the problem, but it seems to happen after the warranty is up, so they do nothing.

I love it!
By dazednconfuzed on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This August, my Cav will be four years young. Just to give you an idea, she's been with me since I was 17...and has survived the crazy teenager years with me. I've kept my car well maintained and have had absolutely no trouble with it at all, period. The 2.4L 150hp engine comes with a lot of pep and hasn't lost any of it. The handling is nice and precise. The Cav has a very sleek and sporty design, and the z24 comes with it's own 16 inch alloy rims. And all for a lot less than most other cars!

Sastisfied 1st New Car Driver
By QueBertguy on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Nervous about dropping all my savings into a more expensive car, the Chevy Cavilier was an excellent choice for a first new car for myself fresh out of highschool. It performs quite well, and has needed only minor maintaince... a "chrip" in the front wheels and a creaky dash have been the only problems to date. Sleek enough looking, with a good amount of room, and a nice stereo system... not bad on gas either. Two long distance trips per year, no problems at all. To get through college this is an excellent car. Not perfect or amazing to the point you'd wanna show it off... but good and solid enough to get the job done, and look alright while doing it.

Chev Cav 2000, aka, LEMON
By Pavel on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Chev Cavalier gave me problems right from the first 15,000 miles. In that time I had replaced all 4 Goodyear Tires..they all developed holes in the sidewall...my fault even though it had not happened to me in my 20 yrs of auto ownership. Goodyear would not prorate any tires. At 40K, the radio went out. Fortunately, I had an extended warranty, but I had to fight w/Robert Levis Chev in Slidell, La to get it fixed. While fixing the radio, they damaged the digital oddometer (they wouldn't admit it!). After this incident, I've had to repair the fuel pump, battery and alternator, and other stuff I'm forgetting. I'm buying a new car, thank God.