2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great car!
By stevewl1164 on 06/17/14 19:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in April 2009 and it had 118k, four door and three speed automatic. I paid $1100 for it. It had a new set of Michelins too! The dash near the windshield cracked and now has chunks missing. The original stereo/CD died. It uses no oil between changes. I replaced the radiator, the alternator, and changed the oil every 3000 miles. As of June 2014 it has 186k. I usually get 28 mpg in mixed driving, but sometimes get 30. I figured for $1100 if it lasted a year I could give it away and not be out anything. Five plus years later it is still going strong. Mine has the old OHV 2.2...never had an engine or transmission issue, nor check engine light. I may never get this lucky again.

Great little car!
By cakesa3 on 12/13/10 22:49 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I drive a 2000 cavalier which has taken my sister through High school, and is now taking me through college. It is a great little car! It has only given minor problems which u can expect from any car. When we got the car, it was abandoned by its current owner. It did not run and it needed a new transmission, but my uncle who is a mechanic saved its life. :) I don't like to see people bash this car-or American makes period. No, its not the most comfortable car. But if thats what your wanting, then your going to pay more. This is a simple car-to get you from point A to B. If your looking for something more luxurious, GM does make the Cadillac. Now there's 116,000 miles and still running strong!

Hate to think of ever replacing her
By Brian on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Cavalier 4dr stick- shift new in 2000. Just needed fuel efficient transportation and never expected to fall in love w/her. This car has done it all. I have pulled a small trailer with it since new and still only just replaced the clutch once at 109k miles. Consistently gets 36 mpg on interstate and 28-30 daily driving. I have had this car most people wouldn't take a 4wd truck. As for design and ride comfort, it's a cavalier not a mercedes. This car has 116k miles and I hope I get another 10 yrs out of her. I hope one day, when I finally have to let her go, that I can find another ride as great as this car.

Eight and a half years of good driving.
By A.B. on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Yesterday I bid a fond farewell to a close friend after 8 1/2 years. I got my Cavalier in March 2002 as a high school graduation present from my grandmother. I have to say, the Cav did its job and then some. I went to college 3-4 hours away from home, and I now live a half hour away from where I now work, and have done the commute for 4 years now. The Cavalier was great on gas and kept me safe on one of the worst, most congested Interstates in the country. From an old man t-boning me after running a stop sign to skidding on ice on the Interstate, hitting a snow bank, and the only damage being a bent license plate, this car's toughness isn't to be underestimated. I loved the old gal!

an excellent car for first later drivers
By john brittain on 07/06/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

an ideal car for small family.all the features needed for an efficient vehicle and good engine performance. fold down rear seat for lots of storage space.disc radio with very good sound.rear door safety lock feature. strong body construction. manual locks and windows which i wanted to avoid costly electrical repairs(as on a pontiac ste which i had.)

Reliable
By Kevin on 09/09/08 10:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

We purchased our 2000 Cavalier in October of 1999. We have 123,000 miles on the car. We get 28 mpg average between city and highway. We have the 2.2 litre engine. The car is very easy to drive and still runs very well. We have had very little trouble out of it. It has been very reliable. No leaks of any kind, and everything works. Still looks good and I enjoy driving it every day. We paid $13,000 for it new and have had the car for nearly ten years. I have no plans to sell or trade my Cavalier. I have owned many different cars from many different manufacturers, but I have kept this one the longest and have found it to be the most reliable.

R.I.P.
By Stef B on 08/13/08 00:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

My Cavilier was the first car I ever owned and I loved it. It looked great, was comfortable, and was fun to drive. The only problems I ever had with it were your basic wear and tear fix ups, considering it did have a few miles on it when I bought it. Other then that it was a great car. I've read on the internet that Caviliers are considered "death traps" but I'd have to disagree. I was in a severe accident in mine and that car saved me and my friends who were with me when the wreck happened. I'd consider these cars to be very safe and reliable, great for a kid's first car. It would have lasted me a long time if my wreck hadn't happened.

2000 4 door Cavalier
By sher on 06/10/08 22:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new. After 3 months the rods blew, the trunk broke, the dash has 6 cracks. Seats are very hard on back. Very noisy ride. Fan motor broke after 55,000 miles. Brakes squal even though they were fixed. CD player broke after 4 years old

It's a cheap survivor
By Canadian on 04/04/07 10:06 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased in early 2003 with 76,000 kilometers and has been faithful year after year. The brutally cold winters have failed to prevent cold starts. I have kept all regular maintenance considering the less than stellar ratings tagging this car. I changed the auto transmission fluid at 110000 kilometers on Nov 2005. On Nov 2006, only 20,000 km later, the transmission began to grind, and shortly thereafter, died. This was a major disappointment, as the vehicle was always driven in a manner to prolong it's service life. Thankfully, I was able to find a used transmission with 69000 kilometers for a cheap (albeit unwelcome) $350.00 CAD.

our 2nd Cavalier
By tom decker on 03/10/06 06:03 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Oil changes and tires have been the only maintenance to date for our Cavalier and for us, that equates to reliability.