Used 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Great car!
By stevewl1164

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in April 2009 and it had 118k, four door and three speed automatic. I paid $1100 for it. It had a new set of Michelins too! The dash near the windshield cracked and now has chunks missing. The original stereo/CD died. It uses no oil between changes. I replaced the radiator, the alternator, and changed the oil every 3000 miles. As of June 2014 it has 186k. I usually get 28 mpg in mixed driving, but sometimes get 30. I figured for $1100 if it lasted a year I could give it away and not be out anything. Five plus years later it is still going strong. Mine has the old OHV 2.2...never had an engine or transmission issue, nor check engine light. I may never get this lucky again.

Favorite Features

Size, four door convenience, large trunk opening, large trunk and the fold down rear seat folds flat...rare. The storage between the seats in the console as well as the glove box is great. It is fun to drive and easy to see out of....no blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastics discolored and cracked with age. and the HVAC controls are blocked when you have drinks in cup holders. Pretty short gripe list.

Great little car!
By cakesa3

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I drive a 2000 cavalier which has taken my sister through High school, and is now taking me through college. It is a great little car! It has only given minor problems which u can expect from any car. When we got the car, it was abandoned by its current owner. It did not run and it needed a new transmission, but my uncle who is a mechanic saved its life. :) I don't like to see people bash this car-or American makes period. No, its not the most comfortable car. But if thats what your wanting, then your going to pay more. This is a simple car-to get you from point A to B. If your looking for something more luxurious, GM does make the Cadillac. Now there's 116,000 miles and still running strong!

Favorite Features

n/a

Suggested Improvements

n/a

Eight and a half years of good driving.
By A.B.

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Yesterday I bid a fond farewell to a close friend after 8 1/2 years. I got my Cavalier in March 2002 as a high school graduation present from my grandmother. I have to say, the Cav did its job and then some. I went to college 3-4 hours away from home, and I now live a half hour away from where I now work, and have done the commute for 4 years now. The Cavalier was great on gas and kept me safe on one of the worst, most congested Interstates in the country. From an old man t-boning me after running a stop sign to skidding on ice on the Interstate, hitting a snow bank, and the only damage being a bent license plate, this car's toughness isn't to be underestimated. I loved the old gal!

Favorite Features

Cruise control, great stereo for factor-built, comfortable ride, VERY gas efficient, safe.

Suggested Improvements

If you get one be warned: the compressor in my Cavalier, plus everyone else's I know who owns/ed one, will leak, and during hot summer months, it's NOT fun. Mine still held vacuum, but needed refrigerant added every year. This model, though, I would recommend if your new driver needs/wants wheels!

It's a cheap survivor
By Canadian

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased in early 2003 with 76,000 kilometers and has been faithful year after year. The brutally cold winters have failed to prevent cold starts. I have kept all regular maintenance considering the less than stellar ratings tagging this car. I changed the auto transmission fluid at 110000 kilometers on Nov 2005. On Nov 2006, only 20,000 km later, the transmission began to grind, and shortly thereafter, died. This was a major disappointment, as the vehicle was always driven in a manner to prolong it's service life. Thankfully, I was able to find a used transmission with 69000 kilometers for a cheap (albeit unwelcome) $350.00 CAD.

Favorite Features

Faithful starts in extremely cold weather.

Suggested Improvements

C'mon GM, is this the best you can do? Crack over dash near air vent. Cheap seats. Backpain inducing. Noisy fan that occasionally rattles. Service light / abs light comes on in humid or wet weather. Creaks, rattles, ticks, permeate this vehicle. Add tilt steering

Love this car
By heather stevens

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I always love to drive this car. It is cost effective and very reliable. It is a great car for first getting out of college.

Favorite Features

Love the safety features of the dual airbags knowing that my passenger is protected also.

Suggested Improvements

I have no suggested improvements.