2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2000 Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Sort Reviews by

First Car
By DomF

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2010, meaning it was already 10 years old. It had about 88,000 miles on it. For a 10 year old car, it sure didn't seem like one. Maybe because it's my first car and I'm just in love with the idea of a car but I think it is the greatest. It is very easy and cheap to maintain and runs great. I am very satisfied with the interior and exterior. There really isn't anything I feel I would change about this car.

Favorite Features

The interior material, the radio (the stock radio is great), large back seat which is hard to come by with coupes, large trunk, GREAT gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Heat vent that doesn't crack which is common with most cavaliers.

Never Again
By Never Again

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Purchased the car used but from a dealer with 43,000 miles on it. It is a 5 speed manual. I have now replaced the transmission 2 times and the thing is acting up again. I am a trained tractor-trailer driver and have had no problems with any of my truck transmissions. There seems to be a poor design and the parts used to build the hydraulic clutch are simply terrible (plastic). The thing has shaken, rattled, and rolled since I first bought it with little things like knobs falling off all the time. Although, I will say the engine has lasted, but I am sure it is going next. It just does not seem like the people at GM cared about craftsmanship or quality. Do not buy one, especially a stick.

Favorite Features

The look with the rear spoiler

Suggested Improvements

5 speed manual transmission is terrible, simply terrible.

Love my Cavalier
By jennybear

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

This is my second cavalier. The first one I had was a 91 and Chevy had made major improvements by 2000. I bought my vehicle second hand at 30,000 miles, and have loved the drive ever since. She is good in the snow. (as good as you can get without 4 wheel drive) She is dependable. The only part that I have had to repeatedly replace is a chip in the dash for the heat. I have only had to replace this 2 times in 10 years so that is not bad. Plus it's a cheap part to replace, like 10 dollars. Otherwise a little cramped in the back seat, but as a driver comfortable seats, fun to drive, dependable, durable, and I think Ill try to keep it for another 10 years.

Favorite Features

body style, bucket seats

Suggested Improvements

added a cd player, wish mine had a sun roof. maybe more back seat space, but roomy enough for 2 people or 3 children.

Great Car
By donnn

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since the day I turned 16, and I've loved every minute with it. I drive over 60 miles a day, and this car has NEVER let me down in the least bit. I have not had to repair a single thing in the 60,000 miles that I've had it. Starts in the coldest weather, and goes through any kind of weather like a champ. Its great on gas, and I'm always getting compliments on how sharp looking it is. Treat this car well, and it will run forever.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY, handling, overall look, awesome sound system, and how quick it is.

Suggested Improvements

Its a quick car, but it can be a little underpowered at times; not often. Can also be a little noisy on the expressway.

Love My Chevy
By BiMi

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2006 and have loved every minute. It is so reliable and the gas mileage is astounding. The dash and cracks around the vents and radio are discouraging. So much of the cosmetic parts of the car have broken off. My husband and I have driven from Florida to Philly, Philly to Virginia (4 times). It has done extremely well. My husband used to make fun of my "sissy car". his car broke down, but mine keeps on going and going. He stopped calling it my "sissy car". It is now "our car".

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cracked dash, cracked dash, cracked dash. It makes the car look horrible. I hear other chevy models suffer from the same problem. Some parts are expensive.

2000 Cavalier
By TCRaven87

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

We bought the car at 45,000 miles and it now has 110,000 miles on it. Only thing major that needs replaced is the AC Compressor. I've made quite a few long drives with it and cant complain about the comfort. The dash near the windshield is cracked and the dash squeaks. The gas mileage also is not what a small cars should be. With City/Highway combined I can get 330 miles on a full tank. and recently I notice some electrical issues. Other than that I can say that it has not left me on the side of the road.

Favorite Features

The color. The seats and trunk space. Sound quality isn't too shabby either.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. Durable AC compressor. More tighter dash.

Best little car ever!
By Jes

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this sweet little car right out of high school and have enjoyed it every day since. The only thing I have ever done to my car is get new tires and oil changes. It has never broke down or needed anything replaced. I have driven it hundreds of miles across the country and it is very comfortable for a little cheap car. I have to sell it now because I need a four door car for my new little baby. I am going to cry when my sweet little Cavalier goes away!

Favorite Features

Cute exterior and interior. Great gas mpg!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, it's the best.

Great little car for your money
By Kari

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new and I'm just now trading it in. The only reason I'm trading it, is because I need a bigger car for a family of 5. I wouldn't trade it if I didn't have too. It's been the best car I have ever owned. I've only put on 81,600 miles on it and it still drives like its new. Had someone back into me but my father was able to pull the dent out and it doesn't look so bad. Only had to replace the tires and brakes. Great car for your money. I'll miss her, I've been through a marriage and divorce and now a new family with her. I hope the next person loves her as much as I have.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, sporty look, good get up and go, and very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting AC.

25,000 miles in one year!
By sturns

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car a year ago with great apprehension. I have heard bad things about Cavaliers and GM. But my fears have been asuaged. This car is a beast! From freeway to stop and go driving this car has gone 25,000 miles in one year and I have had no real problems. It can be a little underpowered and at times noisy, but it's strength lies in reliability. It also excelerates well in turns. Good job Chevy! Good job GM!

Favorite Features

Cornering and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Considering that this car is no longer in prouction it really doesn't matter. But do try to bring up the safety ratings. Comfort could use a small boost.

Hard Driving
By Sturns

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for less than a year and have had to do a lot driving. It scared me a couple of times, but it's come out a champion. It's hardy and the gas mileage isn't too bad. It has made me take a second look at GM. Sorry Japanese.

Favorite Features

Cornering is this car's strong point. It eats turns for breakfast and odly has its best exceleration on turns.

Suggested Improvements

The interior design doesn't seem to change much from year to year, maybe that's why Chevy stopped the line. The back seat in the coupe is not very roomy in the head or foot department