2000 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great car!
By stevewl1164 on 06/17/14 19:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in April 2009 and it had 118k, four door and three speed automatic. I paid $1100 for it. It had a new set of Michelins too! The dash near the windshield cracked and now has chunks missing. The original stereo/CD died. It uses no oil between changes. I replaced the radiator, the alternator, and changed the oil every 3000 miles. As of June 2014 it has 186k. I usually get 28 mpg in mixed driving, but sometimes get 30. I figured for $1100 if it lasted a year I could give it away and not be out anything. Five plus years later it is still going strong. Mine has the old OHV 2.2...never had an engine or transmission issue, nor check engine light. I may never get this lucky again.

Fun little car
By outdoorsy24 on 07/09/12 12:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I had this in highschool. It was fun, looked cool for the year, got great gas mileage, and never gave me any issues.

Great little car!
By cakesa3 on 12/13/10 22:49 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I drive a 2000 cavalier which has taken my sister through High school, and is now taking me through college. It is a great little car! It has only given minor problems which u can expect from any car. When we got the car, it was abandoned by its current owner. It did not run and it needed a new transmission, but my uncle who is a mechanic saved its life. :) I don't like to see people bash this car-or American makes period. No, its not the most comfortable car. But if thats what your wanting, then your going to pay more. This is a simple car-to get you from point A to B. If your looking for something more luxurious, GM does make the Cadillac. Now there's 116,000 miles and still running strong!

Reliable and Sporty
By Z24 on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for about 6 years and it has been pretty reliable overall. It has over 100,000 miles and still runs well. Some repairs needed include replacing the front wheel bearings, replacing the part that holds the muffler, and replacing the serpentine belt several times. At one time, the check engine light went on and the dealer said it needed new oxygen sensors. I did not get them replaced and it still runs fine and no longer has a check engine light on. There is some rust developing on certain parts, especially the side panel under the gasoline door. This car is easy and comfortable to drive. It is fast enough when you need it and still gets good mileage.

Hate to think of ever replacing her
By Brian on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Cavalier 4dr stick- shift new in 2000. Just needed fuel efficient transportation and never expected to fall in love w/her. This car has done it all. I have pulled a small trailer with it since new and still only just replaced the clutch once at 109k miles. Consistently gets 36 mpg on interstate and 28-30 daily driving. I have had this car most people wouldn't take a 4wd truck. As for design and ride comfort, it's a cavalier not a mercedes. This car has 116k miles and I hope I get another 10 yrs out of her. I hope one day, when I finally have to let her go, that I can find another ride as great as this car.

First Car
By DomF on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2010, meaning it was already 10 years old. It had about 88,000 miles on it. For a 10 year old car, it sure didn't seem like one. Maybe because it's my first car and I'm just in love with the idea of a car but I think it is the greatest. It is very easy and cheap to maintain and runs great. I am very satisfied with the interior and exterior. There really isn't anything I feel I would change about this car.

z24 cavalier
By Jerry on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I've owned a z24 for 7 yrs. Bought it off lease with 50k and its been very reliable, cheap transportation. Never had anything but routine maintenance and minor stuff to do. I am actually surprised at how good this car has been as I didn't expect too much from a cavalier except economy. Everything about it is economical (repairs, mileage etc). Handling is good. Ok in winter but better get real good snow tires.

Eight and a half years of good driving.
By A.B. on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Yesterday I bid a fond farewell to a close friend after 8 1/2 years. I got my Cavalier in March 2002 as a high school graduation present from my grandmother. I have to say, the Cav did its job and then some. I went to college 3-4 hours away from home, and I now live a half hour away from where I now work, and have done the commute for 4 years now. The Cavalier was great on gas and kept me safe on one of the worst, most congested Interstates in the country. From an old man t-boning me after running a stop sign to skidding on ice on the Interstate, hitting a snow bank, and the only damage being a bent license plate, this car's toughness isn't to be underestimated. I loved the old gal!

Never Again
By Never Again on 05/19/10 11:47 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Purchased the car used but from a dealer with 43,000 miles on it. It is a 5 speed manual. I have now replaced the transmission 2 times and the thing is acting up again. I am a trained tractor-trailer driver and have had no problems with any of my truck transmissions. There seems to be a poor design and the parts used to build the hydraulic clutch are simply terrible (plastic). The thing has shaken, rattled, and rolled since I first bought it with little things like knobs falling off all the time. Although, I will say the engine has lasted, but I am sure it is going next. It just does not seem like the people at GM cared about craftsmanship or quality. Do not buy one, especially a stick.

Love my Cavalier
By jennybear on 03/31/10 11:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

This is my second cavalier. The first one I had was a 91 and Chevy had made major improvements by 2000. I bought my vehicle second hand at 30,000 miles, and have loved the drive ever since. She is good in the snow. (as good as you can get without 4 wheel drive) She is dependable. The only part that I have had to repeatedly replace is a chip in the dash for the heat. I have only had to replace this 2 times in 10 years so that is not bad. Plus it's a cheap part to replace, like 10 dollars. Otherwise a little cramped in the back seat, but as a driver comfortable seats, fun to drive, dependable, durable, and I think Ill try to keep it for another 10 years.