1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Review: Slow but steady wins the race

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Slow but steady wins the race
By single mom on

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for over 10 years without any problems. It has 180,000 miles on it and no major repairs. Replaced exhaust due to rust, but I live in the snow belt so lots of road salt. An edging of rust just starting along the bottom of the doors. With Nokia tires I have driven this car thru blizzards and floods. As a single mom, I need reliability. It has never left me stranded. It is a no-frills version, so there were no gadgets to breakdown. Still gets 30 mpg and the interior still looks like new. Seats have been very durable. I don't think you can go wrong buying a used Cavalier if you are looking for basic transportation. This has been the best car!

Favorite Features

Durability, gas mileage, low-cost maintainance, sizeable trunk space, 5- spead manual has been a great transmission, rear window defroster

Suggested Improvements

I had to replace brakes and rotors on a yearly basis. Cup holder is too small for a cup and the second holder is right under your arm when you shift. Major inconvenience for a mom/child who eat a lot of meals on the road.