A fair car for the price, BUT.
By Chaps Joo on
1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe
I bought a three-year old car. Now it has 65K miles after driving it for 3 years. The gas pedal is reponsive enough since I have been utilizing it at high RPM. The steering is fairly good up to 85 MPH. Comfort? Are you kidding? It is a compact car. I am not sure about its reliability. It had three times of mechanical maintenance except oil, tire & spark plug changes. 1. The engine light kept on due to carbon built inside the engine chamber. I use Octane 87 gas. 2. The alternate became bad. 3. I replaced the whole A/C compressor and related system (costs over $800). I am expecting more repair works sooner or later. If you want a used Cavalier, please think it again.
Favorite Features
It's cheap. The gas mileage is good but not as good as other foreign compact cars. 21 MPG in winter and 24 MPG in summer in a city. 31 MPG in high way.
Suggested Improvements
The window and door could be sealed better to reduce noise. It is the worst car ever in this manner. At 60 MPH+, you can't talk with your buddy. It definately needs one more fan to cool the radiator. Better have a tachometer and a smoother gear box for manual shift. How about a split rear seat?