Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

reliable but plain
By Chris

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

When I got this car it already had 80,000 miles on it. That was 18 months ago and I've put on about 50,000 of my own. I think this car will last forever as long a its taken car of. I've had only minor problems with it. It needed a new coolant cap because it was leaking. Also had a rusted coil, but was very cheap to fix. Gets great gas mileage but its a manual shift so that helps. Its much more fun to drive as a stick shift. I just going to drive it till it dies considering how much i have to drive for work each year. The moon roof works great and all the interior features still work too. No problems as of yet.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature would have to be how easy basic maintanence is; oil filter and spark plugs are easy to get to and easy to change.

Suggested Improvements

Next time dont put the oil filter directly over the exhaust 'cause when you change the oil its gets all over it and then you smell burning oil for a few days. Other than that... GREAT CAR.

One Speedy Devil
By One Speedy Devil

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

I really like how the car drives the only thing i would have liked to see that was different on the car was a better seal for water. it leaks like crazy but all and all, a very nice car

Favorite Features

the fact that there are a lot of aftermarket products to make it look more intimidating to other drivers. the seats are very comfy the convertible works like a charm the engine is very fast

Suggested Improvements

why is it that every cavalier has that problem with the crack in the dash. i wish that mine was a five speed. and for the love of God some nicer looking rims. better factory sound system would be nice

Good Little Car
By dynomatastic

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my used Cavalier in 2001 with 38,000 and since then have driven it to hell and back (average 22,000/year Total: 102,000 to-date). Hasen't died on me yet! Only major problems was with the ABS which was still covered under warranty. But this car has taken a lickin' and has kept on tickin' (been in 2 fender benders and backed into by SUV's about 4 times). This has been a great second car (not as fun as my '89 Tracer Hatchback :), gets great gas milage, and I hope it will last me another 22,000 miles! *knocks on wood*

Favorite Features

Price (monthly payments are low), Gas Mileage, and the little spunkiness it has when accelerating.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be smaller. Wish it didn't point out in the front like it does.

This Car is awful!
By CavalierHater

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I've had this cavalier for 2 years now and I just cant get it out of the shop. Besides it being ugly and small, the car has had bad brakes, bad spark plugs put in, very bad gas milage, engine mount problems, alignment problems, bad computer system, oil leaks, cracked air seals, not to mentino all the other problems i've fixed. DONT EVER BUYY A CAVALIER, EVER!!

Favorite Features

I honestly cant say i have any.

Suggested Improvements

Just discontinue the cavalier, please.

If only the engine worked...
By Miss Charlie

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Oh how GM has disappointed me. Bought this brand-new in 99, now has 64k miles. I absolutely adored this car, took great care of it. Without warning it crapped out and voila, it needs a new engine. Needless to say I am not paying for that repair; the money will be better-spent towards something new (and probably foreign). I had no problems up until then except for a warranty-covered sunroof replacement.

Favorite Features

Sporty design for very low price, standard features (fog lights, spoiler, scv, etc.) you'll miss when they're gone

Suggested Improvements

I know a lot of people have been happy with their cavis, I WAS one of them until some freak mishap. PLEASE go get your engines checked out.