Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

rally sport
By lore

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

car has never given us any problems and for the price its a decent car but lacks power for a so called rally influenced car

the handy rubber cup holder that can be used as a portable ashtray

more power, zero to sixty in 10 seconds should not be called a rally sport if anything call the z24 a rally sport

A fair car for the price, BUT.
By Chaps Joo

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought a three-year old car. Now it has 65K miles after driving it for 3 years. The gas pedal is reponsive enough since I have been utilizing it at high RPM. The steering is fairly good up to 85 MPH. Comfort? Are you kidding? It is a compact car. I am not sure about its reliability. It had three times of mechanical maintenance except oil, tire & spark plug changes. 1. The engine light kept on due to carbon built inside the engine chamber. I use Octane 87 gas. 2. The alternate became bad. 3. I replaced the whole A/C compressor and related system (costs over $800). I am expecting more repair works sooner or later. If you want a used Cavalier, please think it again.

It's cheap. The gas mileage is good but not as good as other foreign compact cars. 21 MPG in winter and 24 MPG in summer in a city. 31 MPG in high way.

The window and door could be sealed better to reduce noise. It is the worst car ever in this manner. At 60 MPH+, you can't talk with your buddy. It definately needs one more fan to cool the radiator. Better have a tachometer and a smoother gear box for manual shift. How about a split rear seat?

Great Little Car
By cc732

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I am still very pleased with this cars' performance and reliability. It now has nearly 80,000 miles (128,000 kms)and has only needed a right power steering hose replaced. I had the radiator flushed and replaced the transmission fluid at 65,000 mi. (recommended maitenence in Owner's Manual). The original Goodyear tires were replaced at 62,000 mi.(100,000 kms) because the traction in snow and ice was going away. Decent discount tires were purchased and are satisfactory for handling and performance in city and highway driving. The paint and accessories are all still good. A trim piece under the windshield on the dash has developed a minor crack.

It definately is the reliability of this car. The gas mileage and performance is still there after 5 yrs of daily use. It still runs very, very well, and has been a practical and reliable car. The local dealer has helped maintain it at reasonable cost.

Maybe the tilting seats like in my old '88 Corsica. I'll keep this car for many more years.

Happy with the car
By snowbird

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is my second Cavalier. The first one was a lemon. This one has been great. I have 204,900 miles and it is still going strong. The only maintenance is oil, tires and plugs. The mileage is great 29-31 mpg. The only problem with the car is a wind noise that comes through the windshield at high speeds with the right wind direction and high wind speed.

The interior trunk release

I wish the car came with driving lights as an option. I put my own on and it helps with seeing at night.

reliable but plain
By Chris

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

When I got this car it already had 80,000 miles on it. That was 18 months ago and I've put on about 50,000 of my own. I think this car will last forever as long a its taken car of. I've had only minor problems with it. It needed a new coolant cap because it was leaking. Also had a rusted coil, but was very cheap to fix. Gets great gas mileage but its a manual shift so that helps. Its much more fun to drive as a stick shift. I just going to drive it till it dies considering how much i have to drive for work each year. The moon roof works great and all the interior features still work too. No problems as of yet.

My favorite feature would have to be how easy basic maintanence is; oil filter and spark plugs are easy to get to and easy to change.

Next time dont put the oil filter directly over the exhaust 'cause when you change the oil its gets all over it and then you smell burning oil for a few days. Other than that... GREAT CAR.