Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Slow but steady wins the race
By single mom

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for over 10 years without any problems. It has 180,000 miles on it and no major repairs. Replaced exhaust due to rust, but I live in the snow belt so lots of road salt. An edging of rust just starting along the bottom of the doors. With Nokia tires I have driven this car thru blizzards and floods. As a single mom, I need reliability. It has never left me stranded. It is a no-frills version, so there were no gadgets to breakdown. Still gets 30 mpg and the interior still looks like new. Seats have been very durable. I don't think you can go wrong buying a used Cavalier if you are looking for basic transportation. This has been the best car!

Favorite Features

Durability, gas mileage, low-cost maintainance, sizeable trunk space, 5- spead manual has been a great transmission, rear window defroster

Suggested Improvements

I had to replace brakes and rotors on a yearly basis. Cup holder is too small for a cup and the second holder is right under your arm when you shift. Major inconvenience for a mom/child who eat a lot of meals on the road.

Good Buy
By James

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Good overall car. When I purchased this car it had all original parts except the radio (this was a good sign). The bad news was once I bought it some of the 10 year old parts broke. I had the computer system fail ($300), then the drive pulley ($200) then the slave cylinder broke (the clutch was also replaced since the it is so hard to get to it was worth doing it at the time, $700). Overall the car drives great. With regular oil changes and tune ups I think I'll get another 100k miles out of this car.

Favorite Features

Easy to maintain, repairs aren't expensive

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders

Fun economy convertible
By mikes

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

I bought this car new. I had to take it back three times to have them fix the wind noise. They finally figured out that they had to adjust the rear window stop so it would fit flush with the front window. Ride is quite harsh, you feel all the bumps, but engine is peppy. Power top works easily. Could have used overdrive gear for better fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Top down driving, power windows

Suggested Improvements

When rear set is folded down the latch protrudes. Front seats could be larger and I am not a large guy.

By Chevy Cavalier

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This car was purchased for $3000. So far it's been decent. I had to replace the computer($350), the alternator pulley and belt($200), and the slave cylinder and clutch($740). All the parts were original which means the car was built good I was just unlucky that all the parts lasted as long as they did (10 years). Car runs great now and hopefully I can get another year and 15000 miles before I have to replace anything else on this car.

Favorite Features

Easy to maintain, good gas mileage. 28 MPG all around.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger backseat, new top dash piece (cracks on all of the Cavaliers)

Great car
By Punkin3785

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I get awesome gas mileage. This car has a lot of pickup and is always reliable. I couldn't have asked for a better car... only bad thing is, I just foung out that mine didnt come with a lug wrench...and the lugnuts are inverted so you can't use a universal wrench... so I'm searching for one to obtain before i get a flat tire and am up the creek without a paddle.

Favorite Features

The steering wheel has a compfy grip and the seats are so compfortable to sit in for long periods of time. I can't get enough of my sunroof either.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing i think that would make it a little better is if it had a bigger windsheild washer fluid container. I am obsessed with washing my window shield and i always run out...