1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
rally sport
By lore on 07/28/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

car has never given us any problems and for the price its a decent car but lacks power for a so called rally influenced car

A fair car for the price, BUT.
By Chaps Joo on 07/01/05 16:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought a three-year old car. Now it has 65K miles after driving it for 3 years. The gas pedal is reponsive enough since I have been utilizing it at high RPM. The steering is fairly good up to 85 MPH. Comfort? Are you kidding? It is a compact car. I am not sure about its reliability. It had three times of mechanical maintenance except oil, tire & spark plug changes. 1. The engine light kept on due to carbon built inside the engine chamber. I use Octane 87 gas. 2. The alternate became bad. 3. I replaced the whole A/C compressor and related system (costs over $800). I am expecting more repair works sooner or later. If you want a used Cavalier, please think it again.

Great Little Car
By cc732 on 04/02/05 05:40 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I am still very pleased with this cars' performance and reliability. It now has nearly 80,000 miles (128,000 kms)and has only needed a right power steering hose replaced. I had the radiator flushed and replaced the transmission fluid at 65,000 mi. (recommended maitenence in Owner's Manual). The original Goodyear tires were replaced at 62,000 mi.(100,000 kms) because the traction in snow and ice was going away. Decent discount tires were purchased and are satisfactory for handling and performance in city and highway driving. The paint and accessories are all still good. A trim piece under the windshield on the dash has developed a minor crack.

Happy with the car
By snowbird on 01/07/05 17:25 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is my second Cavalier. The first one was a lemon. This one has been great. I have 204,900 miles and it is still going strong. The only maintenance is oil, tires and plugs. The mileage is great 29-31 mpg. The only problem with the car is a wind noise that comes through the windshield at high speeds with the right wind direction and high wind speed.

reliable but plain
By Chris on 12/02/04 16:59 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

When I got this car it already had 80,000 miles on it. That was 18 months ago and I've put on about 50,000 of my own. I think this car will last forever as long a its taken car of. I've had only minor problems with it. It needed a new coolant cap because it was leaking. Also had a rusted coil, but was very cheap to fix. Gets great gas mileage but its a manual shift so that helps. Its much more fun to drive as a stick shift. I just going to drive it till it dies considering how much i have to drive for work each year. The moon roof works great and all the interior features still work too. No problems as of yet.

Good Little Car
By dynomatastic on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my used Cavalier in 2001 with 38,000 and since then have driven it to hell and back (average 22,000/year Total: 102,000 to-date). Hasen't died on me yet! Only major problems was with the ABS which was still covered under warranty. But this car has taken a lickin' and has kept on tickin' (been in 2 fender benders and backed into by SUV's about 4 times). This has been a great second car (not as fun as my '89 Tracer Hatchback :), gets great gas milage, and I hope it will last me another 22,000 miles! *knocks on wood*

If only the engine worked...
By Miss Charlie on 05/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Oh how GM has disappointed me. Bought this brand-new in 99, now has 64k miles. I absolutely adored this car, took great care of it. Without warning it crapped out and voila, it needs a new engine. Needless to say I am not paying for that repair; the money will be better-spent towards something new (and probably foreign). I had no problems up until then except for a warranty-covered sunroof replacement.

Surprisingly good car
By mbzc230 on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I took over the driving duties of this car and let my wife have my Mercedes. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with this car; for its class it is comfortable, quick and quiet. I have restored faith in GM. This car is five years old and has had no need for repair (knock on wood).

solid chevy
By leec on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

it is a very reliable car but for big men like me it a little small overall it is super

I loved mine!
By JCarter on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just sold mine with 84,000+ miles, only because I need a bigger vehicle for my growing family! No mechanicle problems at all! Had the roter worked on once, but it was because I had to stop so hard and fast in a traffic jam. I did routine maint. on everything, and my car was a dream to own. I loved taking long trips because of fuel econ. and comfort, and would handle speeding fine!