1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Good Buy
By James on 07/10/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Good overall car. When I purchased this car it had all original parts except the radio (this was a good sign). The bad news was once I bought it some of the 10 year old parts broke. I had the computer system fail ($300), then the drive pulley ($200) then the slave cylinder broke (the clutch was also replaced since the it is so hard to get to it was worth doing it at the time, $700). Overall the car drives great. With regular oil changes and tune ups I think I'll get another 100k miles out of this car.

By Chevy Cavalier on 06/26/08 18:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

This car was purchased for $3000. So far it's been decent. I had to replace the computer($350), the alternator pulley and belt($200), and the slave cylinder and clutch($740). All the parts were original which means the car was built good I was just unlucky that all the parts lasted as long as they did (10 years). Car runs great now and hopefully I can get another year and 15000 miles before I have to replace anything else on this car.

Great car
By Punkin3785 on 09/09/07 23:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I get awesome gas mileage. This car has a lot of pickup and is always reliable. I couldn't have asked for a better car... only bad thing is, I just foung out that mine didnt come with a lug wrench...and the lugnuts are inverted so you can't use a universal wrench... so I'm searching for one to obtain before i get a flat tire and am up the creek without a paddle.

Chevy Cavalier, only so-so
By CHill on 08/02/07 14:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has had more issues than not. The steering has always made a griding noise when at low speeds, the air conditioner has been broken since the second day after we drove off of the lot, and the cab space is next to nothing. I do not feel safe driving this car. Personally, I do not like it, but for a first car that is only to be owned for a short period, it's ideal. It's cheap, and the price shows it. You'll drop the price of a new car to repair the a/c alone, though, so if comfort is your game you may want to steer clear of this model and year.

Great value, reliable
By chet johnson on 03/23/07 11:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

My Cav has 154k on it and engine still runs strong. Doesn't burn oil. Original muffler and struts. I live in NH and gas tank rusted but that was it. I also maintained it with hiway mileage. Excellent car for $9800. Gets 33 mpg. No major repairs at all. Just get in and go

Decent car for the price
By Jason on 07/18/06 08:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for at least 4 months, put about 3k miles on it, and already I've had to get it into the shop, once for an oil leak, another for the timing-chain valve cover, and guess what? I just found out I have to take it in for repairs that will run me about $915-950. My power window motors are also showing signs of the motor dying. I'd strongly advise any Cavalier Z24 buyers to keep an eye on the engine repeatedly after the purchase.

Very dependable, fun to drive
By jolene putnam on 05/07/06 10:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car only because it has a moonroof. I had a '00 Cavalier 4dr and sold it for this one. This car has been very dependable for the daily communite as well as weekend get aways. The only complaint I have is the lack of space in the back for the kids. Luckily they get along pretty good.

Good Car
By Satisfied Driver on 03/20/06 09:25 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought the car used in 2001. Very reliable car except for some of the interior plastic. The car was very low maintenance other than the usual tires and exhaust. The blower motor for heat and a/c died and needed a replacement fuse after 4 yrs. The driver and passenger power window motors also both died. All in all the car was a great buy aside from the little things. I would certainly recommend it as a cheap, sporty little car.

Cracking up over my Chevy
By VBS 1999 on 02/24/06 14:24 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

It is pretty reliable so far EXCEPT for the battery life. My battery died on me within the first 2 years that I had the car. Never left the lights on, just wouldn't start. It happened again 2 year - 2/12 years later. Guess what, on my 3rd battery now and it did it again. Interior is garbage quality and the body is garbage quality. The dashboard piece that meets the windshield cracked for no reason. Dealership never offered to replace the part since the warantee expired. The darn thing started cracking around year 2. Did I mention that the power windows don't work as of 6 months ago? I loved my Z24, alot of great memories, but won't buy another Chevy ever again. Toyota...here I come!!!

Pretty solid car
By satisfied customer on 10/01/05 21:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Awesome car to drive with 0 major problems. Bought used with 102,000 on it and it now has 121,000 on it in less than 6 months. 5 speed transmission still shifts smooth. Only problem has been the brake lights. They shouldn't be integrated with the 4 ways. i have to constantly press forward on the 4ways to keep the brake lights working. Everything works even after being driven hard for the 20K.. Great mileage in city and highway 26/33 respectively. I would buy another