1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Somewhat ordinary, but very reliable car
By KLHoffman on 01/23/10 18:44 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1999 Cavalier in 2000 when it was just over a year old. It's been a very reliable car. We now have 146,000 miles on it and it still gets us where we want to go without any problems. We just replaced the transmission this year at 141k miles, but other than that no major problems in ten years! I find the car somewhat boring to look at and drive, but with reliability like this who can complain!

The best car for the money you can buy
By Odie on 01/18/10 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

This car has provided 225,000 trouble free miles. It also provides 35 miles per gallon highway, at turnpike speeds & the A/C on. It's solid & fun to drive.I can't imagine any foreign car being more reliable.

224,000 miles and just getting started
By snm1220 on 12/19/09 15:07 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I acquired this car from my son after turning my 4 door car over to my children for their family use. I immediately noticed the 35 mpg plus highway gas mileage with the 4 speed automatic transmission. The air is ice cold in the summer & very warm in the winter. Visibility, ride & handling is very good. This car runs all day at highway speed, uses no oil or has any fluid leaks. Replacement parts are inexpensive. This is truly the most reliable, least cost per mile vehicle i've ever owned. At 300,000 miles I may change the transmission fluid for the first time. I can't imagine any foreign vehicle delivering this value.

high mileage review
By snm on 09/06/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I now have 220,000 miles on my 1999 cavalier rally sport. It is still a daily driver with no fluid leaks or problems. It has the original exhaust & fuel deliver systems. The 4 speed automatic works perfectly & the car delivers 33 to 35 MPG routinely. The heat & air conditioning systems are also very good. This vehicle will beat the reliability of any toyota or honda. At 300,000 miles I may treat it to a transmission fluid change.

White 1999 Cavalier-Z24, 2dr. coupe
By Pippy on 03/31/09 16:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my cavalier-Z24 new in fall of 1998 (1999 model yr.)and I still own it! It has 52,000 miles on it and runs/looks great! If I could purchase a 2010 Cav.-z24, I'd buy on in a heartbeat! Luv this car, had/have no problems with it this far, everything works fine :) luv this car!

Slow but steady wins the race
By single mom on 11/22/08 13:55 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for over 10 years without any problems. It has 180,000 miles on it and no major repairs. Replaced exhaust due to rust, but I live in the snow belt so lots of road salt. An edging of rust just starting along the bottom of the doors. With Nokia tires I have driven this car thru blizzards and floods. As a single mom, I need reliability. It has never left me stranded. It is a no-frills version, so there were no gadgets to breakdown. Still gets 30 mpg and the interior still looks like new. Seats have been very durable. I don't think you can go wrong buying a used Cavalier if you are looking for basic transportation. This has been the best car!

Good Buy
By James on 07/10/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Good overall car. When I purchased this car it had all original parts except the radio (this was a good sign). The bad news was once I bought it some of the 10 year old parts broke. I had the computer system fail ($300), then the drive pulley ($200) then the slave cylinder broke (the clutch was also replaced since the it is so hard to get to it was worth doing it at the time, $700). Overall the car drives great. With regular oil changes and tune ups I think I'll get another 100k miles out of this car.

Fun economy convertible
By mikes on 07/06/08 05:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

I bought this car new. I had to take it back three times to have them fix the wind noise. They finally figured out that they had to adjust the rear window stop so it would fit flush with the front window. Ride is quite harsh, you feel all the bumps, but engine is peppy. Power top works easily. Could have used overdrive gear for better fuel economy.

By Chevy Cavalier on 06/26/08 18:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This car was purchased for $3000. So far it's been decent. I had to replace the computer($350), the alternator pulley and belt($200), and the slave cylinder and clutch($740). All the parts were original which means the car was built good I was just unlucky that all the parts lasted as long as they did (10 years). Car runs great now and hopefully I can get another year and 15000 miles before I have to replace anything else on this car.

Great car
By Punkin3785 on 09/09/07 23:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I get awesome gas mileage. This car has a lot of pickup and is always reliable. I couldn't have asked for a better car... only bad thing is, I just foung out that mine didnt come with a lug wrench...and the lugnuts are inverted so you can't use a universal wrench... so I'm searching for one to obtain before i get a flat tire and am up the creek without a paddle.